Suns @ Raptors Friday game thread 2-21-20

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's three modes of DeAndre:

DeflAyton (first half tonight)
OkAyton (overall tonight)
DominAyton (every night in his head, every 4th night on the court)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker with another unimpressive game tonight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Raptor 118 - Suns 101

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Have I mentioned how much Rubio sucks?
He’s better than anything we had last season, but he’s fallen off the last month or so. His rapport with Ayton on the court is terrible.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Carter's defense. If he could develop a shot, he would be interesting.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it could get worse but the Suns shot 17.6% (6-34) from 3-point range.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because the opponents know that it's the only possible facet of the Suns game that might be decent.

It is easy shutting down a one-dimensional team. Live by the outside shot. Die by the outside shot.

This simply isn't true. We miss wide open looks. I saw a stat a few weeks back that the Suns are one of the best teams in the league at creating open 3 point shots... and we're the worst in the league at converting them.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This simply isn't true. We miss wide open looks. I saw a stat a few weeks back that the Suns are one of the best teams in the league at creating open 3 point shots... and we're the worst in the league at converting them.

I believe it.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
We are a three point shooting team that sucks at shooting threes , not sure why we keep trying this strategy but apparently it's not going away any time soon

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are a three point shooting team that sucks at shooting threes , not sure why we keep trying this strategy but apparently it's not going away any time soon

For the same reason it's become a 3 point league. If you don't have multiple threats from deep it is far too easy for opponents to shut down the paint and mid-range. But I think we add to our own problems, I'm not in love with a lot of our decisions from 3. How many times a game do we see someone pass out of a 3 pointer they should take or take a 3 pointer they absolutely shouldn't? Part of that is forced upon you when you start Rubio but toss Oubre into the mix and you have a real problem even when Booker isn't having an off night from deep.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the same reason it's become a 3 point league. If you don't have multiple threats from deep it is far too easy for opponents to shut down the paint and mid-range. But I think we add to our own problems, I'm not in love with a lot of our decisions from 3. How many times a game do we see someone pass out of a 3 pointer they should take or take a 3 pointer they absolutely shouldn't? Part of that is forced upon you when you start Rubio but toss Oubre into the mix and you have a real problem even when Booker isn't having an off night from deep.

Yep. In the current state of the NBA it is "live by the 3... or die". Ayton doesn't attempt 3s, Rubio and Oubre are terrible at them. It is a real problem for us. Teams give us open 3 point looks because we are so bad at converting them that often (especially in Rubio's case) we don't even attempt them, instead driving into the teeth of the defense.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

With teams converting to length-players, this is more true in todays game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big issue is Ayton, passive all the first half, it really dug a hole for us. As usual we turn in on too late...OR do teams fall asleep in the second half a lot since we are so far out of the game most times??? But whats new right? If we can just somehow come out of those 1st quarters on top.

My coaching/substitution/rotation issue for the night: Rubio goes out, we usually see more point-Book. But we insert Okobo??? First Okobo is garbage, second...he's not a shooter that can supplement some scoring duties while point-Book is going. I'd rather see Cam Johnson come in and play as a long 2 guard. It's pointless to have the best shooter and scorer running point guard, something i've had an issue with all season that's looks bad because of the lack luster players coming off the bench. It should be someone setting up Booker, NOT a Booker pass to Okobo for a bricked 3 pointer.

Oubre: Seems like teams that have players that are just as quick and athletic as him while also being longer, really bothers Oubre's game. The fumbled missed opportunity was a real turning point for us, we were on such a run and he lays an egg.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we just being back nash/stoudemire/Marion? Id rather watch players past their prime that bring back fond memories than this team.. ugh. What a nauseating ride we get to be part of nowadays.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Please explain how your comment that the Suns are the worst team in the league
in converting 3-point shots is in opposition to my saying that we live and die by
3-point shots.

OK, on second thought I guess you're saying that we're not living by them at all.
Just dying. Yup. But it does seem like our few good spurts have featured 3-point
shots falling.

We had more 3-point shots blocked Friday night than any game I've ever seen.

Our shots blocked 23 feet from the basket. It makes no sense.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose