Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
USC **** itself tonight at the Galen center. Not easy turning around after that and having to play in McKale for the next game.

Got to sweep SC and the Fighting Russ Smith’s. Luckily Oregon doesn’t want to win it either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to sweep SC and the Fighting Russ Smith’s. Luckily Oregon doesn’t want to win it either.

I'm no Enfield fan but I kid of expect USC to have a big bounce back. UCLA has been good in the Thur/Fri and not the Sat/Sun games. Okongwu vs Nnaji will be interesting, Onyeka has really picked it up, Nnaji is a better offensive player, defensively Okongwu by a mile.

Mathews is the guy for USC when he struggles they lose.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Almost blew a 20 point lead yet again. Thankfully hung on. Still, this might be one of the softest, mentally weakest, most poorly coached teams I have ever seen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just described SC.

yep. And I called it I said the kid to watch for USC is Mathews, when he's off they lose, he gets suspended and doesn't start, and they lose. I know they're kids but it's so typical USC to date their biggest game of the year standings wise and Enfield has to suspend 2 SENIOR starters for whatever they did?

Hopefully Jalen Hill can play Saturday, UCLA was so scared of rim protection with him out they packed the paint and ASU went bananas from 3 last night. I suspect UA would attack Riley, AO etc by just giving the ball to Nnaji and letting him score if Hill can't play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yep. And I called it I said the kid to watch for USC is Mathews, when he's off they lose, he gets suspended and doesn't start, and they lose. I know they're kids but it's so typical USC to date their biggest game of the year standings wise and Enfield has to suspend 2 SENIOR starters for whatever they did?

Hopefully Jalen Hill can play Saturday, UCLA was so scared of rim protection with him out they packed the paint and ASU went bananas from 3 last night. I suspect UA would attack Riley, AO etc by just giving the ball to Nnaji and letting him score if Hill can't play.

I wouldn't count on Sean Miller being that smart and flexible in adjusting the game plan.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basketball is a weird sport game to game. UCLA doesn't have HIll collapses inside against a bad shooting ASU team and ASU looks like Steph and Klay and blows us out. 2 days later Hill plays, UCLA plays a talented UA team that comes out firing from 3, and then all of a sudden UCLA clamps down, UA keeps missing shots and UCLA looks like a totally different team. I get what Miller said about Arizona just missing shots but honestly there was a point there in the 2nd half where UA was in the bonus and had only 2 fouls themselves and I was thinking if not for the FT's, Arizona might not score again.

During the bad losses earlier to Hofstra etc Cronin kept saying we give them scouting reports, we tell them what to do, they're not doing it. You saw last night what those scouting reports do. Make Nico go left, make Green uncomfortable, hard doubles on Nnaji don't let him have any room etc. Early on Baker was hitting so the keying on the 3 freshmen was not working, but UCLA stuck with the gameplan and it eventually won the game.

I think Gettings is the key for Arizona, when teams do what UCLA does, gettings has to be the guy that picks up the slack, not sure why he didn't play more I guess maybe Baker got some of his minutes as Miller went smaller, not sure, but I think that was why UCLA won. They took away the 3 freshmen and nobody else beat them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Basketball is a weird sport game to game. UCLA doesn't have HIll collapses inside against a bad shooting ASU team and ASU looks like Steph and Klay and blows us out. 2 days later Hill plays, UCLA plays a talented UA team that comes out firing from 3, and then all of a sudden UCLA clamps down, UA keeps missing shots and UCLA looks like a totally different team. I get what Miller said about Arizona just missing shots but honestly there was a point there in the 2nd half where UA was in the bonus and had only 2 fouls themselves and I was thinking if not for the FT's, Arizona might not score again.

During the bad losses earlier to Hofstra etc Cronin kept saying we give them scouting reports, we tell them what to do, they're not doing it. You saw last night what those scouting reports do. Make Nico go left, make Green uncomfortable, hard doubles on Nnaji don't let him have any room etc. Early on Baker was hitting so the keying on the 3 freshmen was not working, but UCLA stuck with the gameplan and it eventually won the game.

I think Gettings is the key for Arizona, when teams do what UCLA does, gettings has to be the guy that picks up the slack, not sure why he didn't play more I guess maybe Baker got some of his minutes as Miller went smaller, not sure, but I think that was why UCLA won. They took away the 3 freshmen and nobody else beat them.

If only we had a 49% 3pt shooter like Alex Barcello.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy how many teams are bunched at the top now. I guess Oregon only has 2 road games left so they would seem to have an advantage. Arizona has 3 road games as does ASU, COlorado 4, USC and UCLA have 3 but 2 of those are the altitude games.

If I had to guess I'd pick Colorado to win it but Altman seems to find a way consistently to win.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Crazy how many teams are bunched at the top now. I guess Oregon only has 2 road games left so they would seem to have an advantage. Arizona has 3 road games as does ASU, COlorado 4, USC and UCLA have 3 but 2 of those are the altitude games.

If I had to guess I'd pick Colorado to win it but Altman seems to find a way consistently to win.

Oregon is undefeated at home... I'd be surprised if they don't win the regular season. As for the tournament - who knows...probably will come down to Oregon & Colorado.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oregon is undefeated at home... I'd be surprised if they don't win the regular season. As for the tournament - who knows...probably will come down to Oregon & Colorado.

Oregon is the hardest team to prepare for IMO because they press quite a bit and nobody else really does. It was also why UW was good the last couple of years they played that zone and nobody else did. I think teams are figuring out the zone now, and they have no PG which has killed them.

I wouldn't be stunned if ASU was in it until the end they are shooting much better now. ARizona has the talent.

Weird season preseason I thought UW was the favorite, they're in last, Stanford looked to be the big surprise, now they're in collapse mode and DaSilva is hurt.

UA has as talented a starting 5 as anybody else but losing the guard to injury and Jeter falling off the map have really hurt them.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Oregon is the hardest team to prepare for IMO because they press quite a bit and nobody else really does. It was also why UW was good the last couple of years they played that zone and nobody else did. I think teams are figuring out the zone now, and they have no PG which has killed them.

I wouldn't be stunned if ASU was in it until the end they are shooting much better now. ARizona has the talent.

Weird season preseason I thought UW was the favorite, they're in last, Stanford looked to be the big surprise, now they're in collapse mode and DaSilva is hurt.

UA has as talented a starting 5 as anybody else but losing the guard to injury and Jeter falling off the map have really hurt them.

Agreed... And as for UA, Nico has also fallen off a bit with regard to his overall play, and certainly his scoring. I was concerned about him in his freshman season mainly because he just wasn't physically there. He's grown and has put on more weight and muscle, however, I still think the grind of D-1 basketball and Pac-12 play has taken a toll on him. Which is to say I really don't believe he should be viewed as a legit "one and done" guy. If any kid needs a sophomore season, it's Nico...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed... And as for UA, Nico has also fallen off a bit with regard to his overall play, and certainly his scoring. I was concerned about him in his freshman season mainly because he just wasn't physically there. He's grown and has put on more weight and muscle, however, I still think the grind of D-1 basketball and Pac-12 play has taken a toll on him. Which is to say I really don't believe he should be viewed as a legit "one and done" guy. If any kid needs a sophomore season, it's Nico...

Never thought he was a 1 and done. And to be fair he's kind of hit the freshman wall which happens to lots of guys, they get worn down plus everyone has a scouting report. UCLA had Jaime Jaquez looking like great and then he had a 3-4 game span where he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. It happens to lots of freshmen.

Nnaji seems to have avoided it, Green hit the wall earlier and seems to be coming back on now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both you and ASU are welcome. UCLA just put you both in first place.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Green just missed two FTs with two seconds that could’ve sealed game. He’s the least impressive highly touted kid I’ve seen in a long time.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Green just missed two FTs with two seconds that could’ve sealed game. He’s the least impressive highly touted kid I’ve seen in a long time.

Very likely that the Dude had a concussion after smashing the back of his head on the floor. I didn’t expect home to make those free throws. Maybe 1.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Uhh, have you watched Nico Mannion this year?
Yeah. He’s a disappointment but when I watch him I see the capability it’s just typically accompanied by failure to complete plays. Whereas with green I see virtually nothing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very likely that the Dude had a concussion after smashing the back of his head on the floor. I didn’t expect home to make those free throws. Maybe 1.

Yeah I didn't get that at all you could hear his teammates telling him to get up because he had to shoot the FTs. If he can't I think the rule allows Miller to pick someone off his bench to shoot them. In hindsight they probably should have done that but I don't know what the rule is on determining the player is injured and can't shoot. You could see him blinking and shaking his head, clearly wasn't 100%.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really didn't think Koloko was fouled live, after watching replays I guess there was enough contact but live it just seemed like he was off balance when he caught the ball. I assumed they were saying Pritchards left hand was the foul. That was going to be a terrible loss no matter what, if he makes the FT's the refs get hammered over the call, if he misses it's a heartbreaker for UA. I was actually really impressed wtih Koloko in this game he really impacts the game on defense. I'm amazed Oregon won their offense was all Pritchard until the OT, Duarte is in some kind of funk and couldn't make a shot so UA just doubled PP, if UA could have made FT's they win easily.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't get that at all you could hear his teammates telling him to get up because he had to shoot the FTs. If he can't I think the rule allows Miller to pick someone off his bench to shoot them. In hindsight they probably should have done that but I don't know what the rule is on determining the player is injured and can't shoot. You could see him blinking and shaking his head, clearly wasn't 100%.

I remember having a concussion in a high school b-ball game and walking toward the wrong bench. If you can’t see, you can’t shoot. Good call Russ. Miller should have subbed a shooter

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah. He’s a disappointment but when I watch him I see the capability it’s just typically accompanied by failure to complete plays. Whereas with green I see virtually nothing.

Green was always going to be a role player in year one. He was a 5* prospect but not top-15. He does a lot of good things that don’t stand out. Solid defender and leads the team in +/-.

Nico is much more disappointing given his hype (granted I was part of it). His team impact metrics are awful which is really telling for a primary ball-handler. Looking at his cockiness level in HS I think he’s a bit shook how difficult college ball is.