2020 Draft

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FYI on the Ball family. It impacts this draft.

Despite the use of both caps lock and an exclamation point, LaVar couldn't divert attention from the notable absences of Pelicans guard Lonzo Ball and potential top-five draft pick LaMelo Ball, his oldest and youngest of three sons, respectively. LaVar and his middle son, LiAngelo, are featured prominently on the front page of the new site, but Lonzo and LaMelo are nowhere to be found.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...rs-family-business/18gs8olj33bve1s8jbyk9f34y0

From this point on, I will completely disregard LaVar when evaluating LaMelo and this draft. If the draft were held today and I had to pick #1, I would take LaMelo. I am sure I will change my mind between now and the draft but here is my reasoning.

1. LaMelo plays with a confidence that says superstar.
2. His passing is other-worldly. It is there with Rubio and Luka.
3. He shoots with confidence, although poorly. I believe his shot can be fixed. I was wrong about Luka's shot when I criticized him for not being a good shooter. I am trying to not make the same mistake with LaMelo.
4. His speed and body control are top notch. His stop-start moves make grown men look like they are toddlers.
5. He is 6-8 and still growing. Tall pg's have done fairly well in the NBA lately.
6. He is playing against grown men in the NBL. It is one of the better pro leagues in the world, and he is doing it as an 18 year old. To me, that is a sign that what he is doing will translate into the NBA.

Negs
1. Poor shooting mechanics. Can be fixed, but Haliburton has poor mechanics too.
2. Poor shot selection.
3. Defense is OK, but needs to improve.

He is not what you would want from a #1 pick, but in this draft he is probably the closest to star potential.

Haliburton would be a close second point guard in this draft.

Of course, there are a couple of good pf's too. Toppin and Oka

Last edited:

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone have a take on Markus Howard of Marquette? NBADraft.net has him tabbed as a second-rounder, but I could see him being a starting PG easily.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Anyone have a take on Markus Howard of Marquette? NBADraft.net has him tabbed as a second-rounder, but I could see him being a starting PG easily.
Instant offense. The guy loves to put the ball in the bucket. Has a repeatable shooting stroke with a strong base. Has an excellent step back. Decent finisher among the trees. Can score in a variety of ways, but is madly in love with the step back (he's really really good at this). Has some streakiness to him.

Offers almost nothing else. He doesn't create well for others. Basically had a 1:1 TO/Assist ratio all 4 years. Has a limited in-game vertical jump. He's entirely too ball dominant. Has almost no proclivity for a PG. He's essentially a 5-11 SG.

Doesn't seem to put a ton of effort on the defensive end. And at under 6 feet, with limited athleticism, he will get severely taken advantage of in the pros. He might have the lowest BPG stat I've ever seen for a G (Seriously, 6 TOTAL blocks in 4 years at 30 minutes a game!?!) Doesn't really play lanes well or get deflections on D. Just seems to go through the motions on D.

At best he's an instant scoring option off the bench at SG. Would work best next to a Ben Simmons type PG.

Personally I'd prefer a Jevon Carter type 3&D as my back up as opposed to Howard.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I continue to look at draft prospects, Toppin seems to make the most sense. I also believe he will end up being a top 3 pick in this draft. If the Suns had the #1 pick and were not allowed to trade it, I would probably take Toppin. I think he will be the best player in this weak draft.

He reminds me so much of Amare, but he has a better outside shot. He is not as skilled as Tatum, but he is more physical and stronger. I would even consider trading up to get him, and that might be possible to do in this weak draft.

I do like Okongwu too. He is a better defender than Toppin, but does not have the same offensive range. I would be happy with either.

Last edited:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
As I continue to look at draft prospects, Toppin seems to make the most sense. I also believe he will end up being a top 3 pick in this draft. If the Suns had the #1 pick and were not allowed to trade it, I would probably take Toppin. I think he will be the best player in this weak draft.

He reminds me so much of Amare, but he has a better outside shot. He is not as skilled as Tatum, but he is more physical and stronger. I would even consider trading up to get him, and that might be possible to do in this weak draft.

I do like Okongwu too. He is a better defender than Toppin, but does not have the same offensive range. I would be happy with either.
Obi would be an excellent fit on our team and compliments Ayton. He looks like an ideal PF in today's game. However I do agree with you, I doubt he gets past #4. At this point Edwards, Wiseman, and Ball appear to be locked into the top 3 barring someone going off at the Tourney. I'm not opposed to trading up to get him but the price better reflect how awful the draft is.

Staying put at #10-ish, I would hope we could land:

Deni Avdija
Tyrese Haliburton
Theo Maledon
Onyeka Okongwu

I've only watched film on half the 1st round prospects so far, but these are the only four that have stood out.

2nd round: Ashton Hagans is a poor man's Ricky Rubio. Great floor general. Pass first PG. Excellent off ball defender, adequate on ball. Good height and length. Unfortunately, he refuses to shoot even when he's wide open. His form isn't bad, just lacks confidence. Terrible production from his shot has him in the 2nd round. Besides his dreadful shooting numbers I actually like everything else about him. He's currently going through a spell at Kentucky which will further hurt him in the draft which might drop him to us in the 2nd. As 2nd rounders go in this awful draft, he could be one of the few to have a solid career.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obi would be an excellent fit on our team and compliments Ayton. He looks like an ideal PF in today's game. However I do agree with you, I doubt he gets past #4. At this point Edwards, Wiseman, and Ball appear to be locked into the top 3 barring someone going off at the Tourney. I'm not opposed to trading up to get him but the price better reflect how awful the draft is.

Staying put at #10-ish, I would hope we could land:

Deni Avdija
Tyrese Haliburton
Theo Maledon
Onyeka Okongwu

I've only watched film on half the 1st round prospects so far, but these are the only four that have stood out.

2nd round: Ashton Hagans is a poor man's Ricky Rubio. Great floor general. Pass first PG. Excellent off ball defender, adequate on ball. Good height and length. Unfortunately, he refuses to shoot even when he's wide open. His form isn't bad, just lacks confidence. Terrible production from his shot has him in the 2nd round. Besides his dreadful shooting numbers I actually like everything else about him. He's currently going through a spell at Kentucky which will further hurt him in the draft which might drop him to us in the 2nd. As 2nd rounders go in this awful draft, he could be one of the few to have a solid career.

Deni does not interest me. I think Haliburton will be a solid NBA player in the mold of a Dinwiddie. Like I said, I like Okongwu.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Carey, Okongwu, Stewart or Haliburton for me at 10.

Avoid Nico Mannion at all costs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to put this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mannion today is continuing to prove what a bust he is. Whichever NBA team is dumb enough to draft him will come to regret it. His ceiling is Jason "White Chocolate" Williams, including all the baggage that came with him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WOW! March Madness in empty arenas.

Yeah, major bummer. Might be my favorite sporting event of the year.

I am curious to see the effect on officiating. I think part of the reason refs in basketball are so freaking terrible is because they get influenced by rowdy crowds.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just sneakers squeaking, refs whistles and coaches yelling. Will be like watching games at the YMCA on steroids.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will continue to hype up Jalen Smith. Gives you everything you need at PF: rebounding, defense and can step out to 3pt range. Best thing is he is very efficient in that he doesn't need to take 20 shots a game to be effective. Main concerns are he needs to be more aggressive and maybe needs to get a little stronger but his skills translate to the NBA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will continue to hype up Jalen Smith. Gives you everything you need at PF: rebounding, defense and can step out to 3pt range. Best thing is he is very efficient in that he doesn't need to take 20 shots a game to be effective. Main concerns are he needs to be more aggressive and maybe needs to get a little stronger but his skills translate to the NBA.

As a long term project, I can see this. But he is at least 2-3 years away from being able to contribute at the NBA level. He doesn't fill our current gaping holes.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As a long term project, I can see this. But he is at least 2-3 years away from being able to contribute at the NBA level. He doesn't fill our current gaping holes.
No one where we currently pick will fill our needs. This a project heavy draft with even the Top 3 prospects having question marks. Edwards & Ball can't shoot & Wiseman will not have played a meaningful game of basketball in a year when the NBA season starts.

PHX needs a PF and a back up PG. Okongwu, Nnaji, Haliburton and Maledon won't move the needle. PHX will most likely find their PF in a trade that would involve our first rounder. I am hoping they move back into 20's and take Smith who could develop over time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No one where we currently pick will fill our needs. This a project heavy draft with even the Top 3 prospects having question marks. Edwards & Ball can't shoot & Wiseman will not have played a meaningful game of basketball in a year when the NBA season starts.

PHX needs a PF and a back up PG. Okongwu, Nnaji, Haliburton and Maledon won't move the needle. PHX will most likely find their PF in a trade that would involve our first rounder. I am hoping they move back into 20's and take Smith who could develop over time.

If they get at least an average NBA level power forward to serve as a stop-gap, I would be behind this plan. At the same time, I believe Okongwu, Carey, Haliburton and Stewart would move the needle more now. I actually think Nnaji stays in college another year (his deficiencies were apparent in conference play, culminating with being totally dominated by Stewart in the last game), and I wouldn't take Maledon even as a project.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

This is all true.

I can't figure why so many mocks have Smith in the 20's. I like him better than Jaden McDaniels who keeps projecting into the teens. This guy fits the mold for the modern day PF. (Anyone else see Raj Thomas from What's Happening when they watch Smith? Must be the goggles.)

Smith is a SOLID rebounder who does a great job fighting for position. Excellent at sealing his man on box outs. Can easily see him near 10 boards a game as he matures. Good timing on blocks, with room to grow. His shot form is also impressive. Good line from elbow down. Has a good rhythm. His release is a tad low, but nothing alarming at 6-10. His 37% from 3 doesn't seem to be a fluke. Could also end up an 80% FT shooter with his good form (75% this year).

My biggest concern is his stiffness. He plays too rigid, especially below the waist. (Needs to take some dance classes.) This can be a big problem against more agile NBA PFs that he'll face. Too me, this is his biggest knock. It can make or break him. I also wonder how well he'll be able to put the ball down from the 3 and attack the rim. He'll need to be two dimensional from out there. He also doesn't appear to have a big vertical, but he compensates well with hard work and timing. I'll be very interested to see his measurables.

He would be a great PF prospect coming off the bench for the Suns, especially when DA comes out, since he'll likely do well on the boards. If he can increase his agility I could really seeing him being a great rebounding/D role player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portsmouth Invitational has been canceled.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: One of the NBA Draft's best scouting events -- the Portsmouth Invitational in April -- has been canceled due to coronavirus outbreak. PIT has been showcase event for top seniors over the last 67 years; such as John Stockton, Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, Jimmy Butler.

3:02 PM - 13 Mar 2020

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
In honor of the "what am I gonna do with all this time on my hands" I decided to scrape the bottom of the barrel of draft prospects' film and fill some time. I've watched a lot of PGs film: Hagans, Dotson, Terry, Pritchard, etc. I didn't see anything special until...

Arturs Zagars. I know, I know, he's Justin Bieber. But I just couldn't take my eyes of his play. Aggressive, shifty, initiates contact, loves to pass, and will not squander an opportunity to make a simple pass more difficult for the sake of style points (ok that's not a plus, but he's entertaining). I can't tell if he's White Chocolate Part Deux or something greater. All I know is that he's got my attention.

Looking at his stats is pointless. Someone's just going to have to trust what they see with the limited film. Every once in a while I see a little IT in a 2nd round prospect (last year was Jalen Lecque). Arturs has some IT to his game. I'd easily take a shot in the 2nd for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA