New CBA

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see both sides like all of us I absolutely love NFL football. But the more stuff that comes out about the concussions and other stuff the worse it looks. As others said clearly 17 isn't the final move it's going to be 18. Not to totally derail the thread but the reason RB has become such a less important position in the NFL is almost entirely due to the schedule going from 14 to 16 games. Yes RB's can gain more yardage but studies show the average NFL RB can expect to be healthy just under 13.5 games per season, it's the lowest expected average of any position in the NFL, it's 13.3 and the next lowest is 14. So when they added 2 games the position most impacted was RB, if you're lucky enough to play all 16 games you get 2 more games of pounding which increases the odds you get hurt and cut your career short. If they go up to 18 that's going to get worse, the average may stay close to 13 but it's going to mean NFL teams need more RB's so they're going to have to expand the roster to cover that. It's also why FB's got severely reduced, increase the games you need more RB's the most obvious position to skimp on was RB. TE and S are the next 2 spots with the most injuries so teams will need more of those.

2015 study says the average NFL player has a 4.1% chance of injury in every game they play and the average games missed with said injury is 3.1. Over 18 games it means you have to expand rosters(I'm assuming they did not really sure) and you're still going to have more injuries and more serious injuries. Even if you expand rosters what that means is 8-10 years from now there's going to be a bigger pool of guys who have the head injuries, the more guys who play in the games the more will get those injuries.

So yeah it won't be in 5 years but I could see in 20 where there's just so much data that its' just hard to get enough players.

I guess we'll so it obviously pays well and has other fringe benefits but i still feel it's quite likely going to end in my lifetime.

They've been playing an 18 game schedule in the CFL for decades and it's not pitty-pat football.

You'll run out of football players on the same day that you run out of boxers and martial arts fighters - IMO.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wish they would stretch to a 18 game schedule, do away with Pre-season and give 3 byes to each team..Or something to make a season last 5+months.

I'd rather watch slightly watered down game selections every week, and make the season longer.

Seems like Baseball, Basketball and Hockey last all year... Which sucks, because I don't have interest in any of them.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be interested and I don't think many Cards fans would. A neutral site with no team would clamor for those tickets though - say, Montreal, London, Mexico City, Barcelona, Monterrey, Boise, Lincoln NE, Tokyo, Osaka, etc.
I kind of thought that. But let’s say the Cards were to come here to Chicago on the Bears bye week I would go.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't like 17 and I don't like 18 either. My main argument is player health, take away preseason games helps but you're now asking star players to play 2 more non playoff games, they typically barely play in the preseason so the risk to their health is much greater.

it also makes record comparisons tough but we already had that going from 14 to 16, and all the new rules make records impossible to compare across eras.

The safety thing is the main thing to me, I've been saying for awhile now I think the NFL will go away, probably in my lifetime(I'm 54) because of all the player safety issues. Adding 1 or 2 more real games doesn't help in that regard.
I totally agree with you. We are already seeing diminishing crowds to games where teams are 2-5 or 2-6.
I like the idea of adding a playoff team as it will keep 80% of the teams in the hunt a little longer.
Plus it gives the Cards a little better chance of making the playoffs! Lol.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This is all sweet and dandy but if they do this, increase the dang roster of a team. Seriously, these are human bodies making this possible and this increase of play will decrease the quality

I say stop the inactive list and allow all 53 to be available and allow the movement of PS players up to and back to the PS as needed. No different than baseball which moves players from the minors back and forth. Also have different length IRs. Say a player will be out for a month then place him on the 30 IR, be able to bring up a PS player to replace him and when the player comes off IR send the PS player back to the practice squad.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've been playing an 18 game schedule in the CFL for decades and it's not pitty-pat football.

You'll run out of football players on the same day that you run out of boxers and martial arts fighters - IMO.

It's not the same sport though. Aside from the field differences and 12 players per side not 11, the players in Canada are just smaller, I tried to find a verifiable average and didn't but what I did find estimated at certain poisitions like OL and DL the average weight is 15 to 20 pounds lighter in Canada. I actually found lots of people who said they prefer the Canadian rules, they said it's a better game, played by inferior players, the athletes are just in general bigger and faster in the NFL than the CFL, the best go to NFL because the money is better. The injuries in the NFL are all over the place from untouched to high impact injuries but it just stands to reason bigger faster players impacting each other are going to cause more injuries.

I also found a story that said some studies are suggesting the CFL is just a safer game, due to field size, player size and some of the rules. There's just less injuries and it's been that way for years. Also, CFL has less teams so less total players so less total injuries over time. 32 NFL teams to 9 CFL. The total number of players getting hurt is what leads to rule changes IMO.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I’m listening to Boston Sports talk and they said the league as ruled out the extra game as a neutral site game. It will alternate the owners didn’t want to lose the 10 home games)including preseason. Also they are screwing the top paid players. On the 17th week they are paying them as if they are $4m players.

Rosters and PS to each go up by 2 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I say stop the inactive list and allow all 53 to be available and allow the movement of PS players up to and back to the PS as needed. No different than baseball which moves players from the minors back and forth. Also have different length IRs. Say a player will be out for a month then place him on the 30 IR, be able to bring up a PS player to replace him and when the player comes off IR send the PS player back to the practice squad.

That's simple and makes a lot of sense. If you are on the practice squad you should be able to shift fluidly when needed and if you are on the actual roster, you should be suited and ready... injuries are part of a player's ability and value and it should not be a teams' fault to suit less to even the odds if the NFL of course allows you to sign others when that happens :raccoon:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not the same sport though. Aside from the field differences and 12 players per side not 11, the players in Canada are just smaller, I tried to find a verifiable average and didn't but what I did find estimated at certain poisitions like OL and DL the average weight is 15 to 20 pounds lighter in Canada. I actually found lots of people who said they prefer the Canadian rules, they said it's a better game, played by inferior players, the athletes are just in general bigger and faster in the NFL than the CFL, the best go to NFL because the money is better. The injuries in the NFL are all over the place from untouched to high impact injuries but it just stands to reason bigger faster players impacting each other are going to cause more injuries.

I also found a story that said some studies are suggesting the CFL is just a safer game, due to field size, player size and some of the rules. There's just less injuries and it's been that way for years. Also, CFL has less teams so less total players so less total injuries over time. 32 NFL teams to 9 CFL. The total number of players getting hurt is what leads to rule changes IMO.

College
Helmets
pads
football
NFL
Helmets
pads
football
CFL
Helmets
pads
football

= It's the same sport!

The difference in the concussive effect of a 200lb+ man, in either of the above three, hitting another at speed is minimal, and there is as much banging of helmets on the line of scrimmage in all three. They all suffer through the same types of injury to head and limb. They are dangerous collision games and the main difference is one gets nothing, the other little and the third a lot to sacrifice their bodies.

P.S. there are studies showing more head injuries (concussions) in soccer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
College
Helmets
pads
football
NFL
Helmets
pads
football
CFL
Helmets
pads
football

= It's the same sport!

The difference in the concussive effect of a 200lb+ man, in either of the above three, hitting another at speed is minimal, and there is as much banging of helmets on the line of scrimmage in all three. They all suffer through the same types of injury to head and limb. They are dangerous collision games and the main difference is one gets nothing, the other little and the third a lot to sacrifice their bodies.

P.S. there are studies showing more head injuries (concussions) in soccer.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, they're not the same, they're similar but not the same.

The first report I found said something like 96% of former NFL players tested had at least some signs of CTE, Canada the figure was about 10% lower, but with a much smaller sample size because again far less teams so far less players.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see both sides like all of us I absolutely love NFL football. But the more stuff that comes out about the concussions and other stuff the worse it looks. As others said clearly 17 isn't the final move it's going to be 18. Not to totally derail the thread but the reason RB has become such a less important position in the NFL is almost entirely due to the schedule going from 14 to 16 games. Yes RB's can gain more yardage but studies show the average NFL RB can expect to be healthy just under 13.5 games per season, it's the lowest expected average of any position in the NFL, it's 13.3 and the next lowest is 14. So when they added 2 games the position most impacted was RB, if you're lucky enough to play all 16 games you get 2 more games of pounding which increases the odds you get hurt and cut your career short. If they go up to 18 that's going to get worse, the average may stay close to 13 but it's going to mean NFL teams need more RB's so they're going to have to expand the roster to cover that. It's also why FB's got severely reduced, increase the games you need more RB's the most obvious position to skimp on was RB. TE and S are the next 2 spots with the most injuries so teams will need more of those.

2015 study says the average NFL player has a 4.1% chance of injury in every game they play and the average games missed with said injury is 3.1. Over 18 games it means you have to expand rosters(I'm assuming they did not really sure) and you're still going to have more injuries and more serious injuries. Even if you expand rosters what that means is 8-10 years from now there's going to be a bigger pool of guys who have the head injuries, the more guys who play in the games the more will get those injuries.

So yeah it won't be in 5 years but I could see in 20 where there's just so much data that its' just hard to get enough players.

I guess we'll so it obviously pays well and has other fringe benefits but i still feel it's quite likely going to end in my lifetime.
Everything you said I don't dispute. However............there's always going to be players coming from areas that are not the greatest to live in or poverty, or both. Those players are looking for a way out, a way to make a lifetime worth of money & get out of their living conditions with their family. They will risk it in most cases. I would do the same. One could say "choose another sport" that's not as dangerous? Easier said than done. Even though many athletes are good in multiple sports, they usually only choose one as their bread & butter. Football is the most popular sport in this country, as long as the fans keep showing up & watching on tv, the money will be there. Poverty changes many minds even considering the risks involved. There's also the helmet factor. Concussions are down a certain percentage after all the CTE stuff came out. Who's to say there won't be a breakthrough with new helmet technology in the next 10-20 yrs where concussions become almost nonexistent?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything you said I don't dispute. However............there's always going to be players coming from areas that are not the greatest to live in or poverty, or both. Those players are looking for a way out, a way to make a lifetime worth of money & get out of their living conditions with their family. They will risk it in most cases. I would do the same. One could say "choose another sport" that's not as dangerous? Easier said than done. Even though many athletes are good in multiple sports, they usually only choose one as their bread & butter. Football is the most popular sport in this country, as long as the fans keep showing up & watching on tv, the money will be there. Poverty changes many minds even considering the risks involved. There's also the helmet factor. Concussions are down a certain percentage after all the CTE stuff came out. Who's to say there won't be a breakthrough with new helmet technology in the next 10-20 yrs where concussions become almost nonexistent?

I don't think it's necessarily going to get too much better. There's just not much compelling information that says NFL teams are all that concerned. We've already seen teams try and sneak around concussion protocols in games. We have rampant use of PED's and other things to get players artificially bigger, faster, to get injured players back playing faster etc. I think people are trying to improve the equipment yes, and trying to put in rules to protect players, but at the end of the day the fundamental issue is the size and speed of the players involved in the collisions. William Refrigerator Perry was a huge player in his day, size wise(for his height), most teams in the NFL now have at least one guy that size or bigger. Players keep getting bigger, it's just physics that when they collide, bad things happen.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The players haven't voted yet they still have concerns. They want to keep negotiating the owners say no.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessarily going to get too much better. There's just not much compelling information that says NFL teams are all that concerned. We've already seen teams try and sneak around concussion protocols in games. We have rampant use of PED's and other things to get players artificially bigger, faster, to get injured players back playing faster etc. I think people are trying to improve the equipment yes, and trying to put in rules to protect players, but at the end of the day the fundamental issue is the size and speed of the players involved in the collisions. William Refrigerator Perry was a huge player in his day, size wise(for his height), most teams in the NFL now have at least one guy that size or bigger. Players keep getting bigger, it's just physics that when they collide, bad things happen.
Yeah, that is true. Technology is a grand thing though. There's been things invented since I was growing up in the 70', 80's & beyond that I never would've dreamed of. Players are bigger, stronger & faster, that won't change, nor the high speed impact of collisions. You just never know on these scientific inventions. If this CTE stuff starts getting worse, the NFL will start pouring some of that 50 billion/yr into more helmet research. They already have but it's only lowered the concussion rate a little. There has to be some technology out there yet undiscovered to pad these helmets better or something to absorb most of the blow? I wish I was smart enough to figure it out lol? I would be a rich man. I firmly believe in technology, as long as there's a market for football & money to be made or lost, these helmet companies & scientists/ inventors will keep trying. I can't imagine Saturdays & Sundays in the fall without football. Hope it all gets better & it doesn't die?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson