Humps contract structure

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Okudah is not there at #8 but Andrew Thomas is, I take Thomas and let him play RT and groom him to play LT if Humphries is gone in 3 years. "Andrew Thomas is not a fit for zone blocking" is what I am sure most of you will reply to this post with but aside from Sweezey in SEA, no other OL on roster has a zone blocking background. Andrew Thomas will learn just like the rest of the OL had to. It's not like OL can't learn a new system.

To me #8 comes down to Thomas or Jeudy, not as high on Lamb as I am Jeudy and do not want Kinlaw or Brown at #8 as I would rather take Epenesa who is more of a pass rusher than those two.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i feel like this is a mutually beneficial deal to two parties, neither of which was looking at optimum circumstances headed into FA.

What it looks like to me is we had no back-up plan and were scared to start a rookie LT with our QBOTF and Hump's people probably put some feelers out for FA and realized that as a young "supposedly talented LT", the market was going to bear fruit nearly as sweet as they hoped.

so, the team and Hump just looked at each other and were like... uh... I guess we'll dance with you... but not for too long!

regardless... I expect him to be injured by Week 9 next year. would love to be proven wrong that last year was the exception to the rule and see him get better and man that spot for a while.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Okudah is not there at #8 but Andrew Thomas is, I take Thomas and let him play RT and groom him to play LT if Humphries is gone in 3 years. "Andrew Thomas is not a fit for zone blocking" is what I am sure most of you will reply to this post with but aside from Sweezey in SEA, no other OL on roster has a zone blocking background. Andrew Thomas will learn just like the rest of the OL had to. It's not like OL can't learn a new system.

To me #8 comes down to Thomas or Jeudy, not as high on Lamb as I am Jeudy and do not want Kinlaw or Brown at #8 as I would rather take Epenesa who is more of a pass rusher than those two.
Pugh was in a zone blocking scheme at Syracuse.
Hump was in a zone blocking scheme at Florida.

That’s 2 guys that’s gonna be on the line for multiple years that have had previous experience playing in a zone blocking scheme. So what you said is simply not true.

You just keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with Thomas. The guy couldn’t be more anti to our scheme. Isn’t a primary RT like Willis(lets not see the same mistake they did with Hump starting him off at RT by doing the same with Thomas) nor does not have the athletic profile as Wirfs(& also.....another primary RT guy).

Might be time to move on.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Only bad news is the cap space for this year we are down to $39m and after rookie deals we will be closer to $32m. Prob only leaves us able to snag 1-2 decent FA and a lot of filler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better make Free Agency count and draft well. The talent on this team is there though

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
32 is plenty of space. If they extend Patrick Peterson, that will create more space. We should be able to re-sign everyone on our own roster we want to re-sign for 10 or so. 22 mil for outside FAs is plenty of space to add multiple players, especially because 16.5 is freed up next off-season when David Johnson and Robert Alford are cut. You can stack larger cap his for year 2 of the contract without back-loading it in a detrimental way.
From what I read, the plan on PP to extend him is to spread all the money out more evenly, allowing more cap space during his contract.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Especially if you consider what we are actually going to be in the market for offensivey.

WR - Only guy I see them considering is Amari Cooper.
TE - Considered only because you can hit the top end of market pretty inexpensively.
C - Though only McGovern or Shipley if they don't stick with Cole/Gaillard.
RG - Sherff but they would save 5 mil because they would cut Sweezy.
RT - Conklin and maybe super low-cost Marcus Gilbert.

Now defensively is another story. Lots of options, but most depends on what Vance is looking to do and how he views the current roster.

If he really likes Jalen Thompson at S opposite of Baker, he won't go after a high dollar one.

If he still likes Alford and Murphy opposite of Peterson (and Peterson signs an extension) we won;t be going after Byron Jones.

ILB has a hole in it. We will get someone. Not sure if it will be a Littleton or a Kwiatkowski/Trevathan.

Really good market for pass rushers though I think it is more of a question off adding one player at a high cost, or two players adding up to a similar cost. A Matt Judon or combo of Correa/Jenkins (my preference is Weatherly)

DL we will add one.
My opinion is this. They like Jalen Thompson (especially the way he played the last 3-4 games) & BB. VJ said they have a plan for D Thompson. Don't think they sign a safety in FA.

I think in FA, they sign an edge rusher (possibly Marcus Golden?) A DL & a LB.

Drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round would be fine but I think we can get by with Justin Murray & Marcus Gilbert for next season. Maybe even find one in the 4th round? Marcus Gilbert is coming along in his rehab I read last week & wants to stay a Cardinal, says he still has a lot to prove & at least 2 yrs left in him. He could probably be signed cheap. Justin Murray had some clunkers this season but he held up a lot better than I thought he would. Give Sean Kugler a whole off-season to train him & I'll bet you his footwork improves & so does his bending techniques. Both players would save us some money.

But what do I know lol? I could be totally wrong.
I do know this. Whichever side of the ball we concentrate on in FA, the other side will get more attention during the draft.

It's been said we're gonna go defense during FA & offense in the draft.

Bottom line, we're all just fans making guesses lol.

I know I can't wait for FA & the draft to start.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pugh was in a zone blocking scheme at Syracuse.
Hump was in a zone blocking scheme at Florida.

That’s 2 guys that’s gonna be on the line for multiple years that have had previous experience playing in a zone blocking scheme. So what you said is simply not true.

You just keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with Thomas. The guy couldn’t be more anti to our scheme. Isn’t a primary RT like Willis(lets not see the same mistake they did with Hump starting him off at RT by doing the same with Thomas) nor does not have the athletic profile as Wirfs(& also.....another primary RT guy).

Might be time to move on.
Funny thing is, Humphries was better at run blocking in the zone scheme for the Gators, struggled some with pass protection. Now in the NFL, this past season, it looks like that has reversed lol. KD had much more success running on the right side of the line. Some of that had to do with Sweeezy & using the TE. I don't really want to draft a RT at #8 but if we do, Wills or Wirfs would have to be the choices. Provided they're available? Thomas did play RT his freshman yr at Georgia but moved to the left his sophomore yr. Becton is a LT & doesn't have the experience as a pass blocker yet. Louisville runs the ball a whole lot.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i feel like this is a mutually beneficial deal to two parties, neither of which was looking at optimum circumstances headed into FA.

What it looks like to me is we had no back-up plan and were scared to start a rookie LT with our QBOTF and Hump's people probably put some feelers out for FA and realized that as a young "supposedly talented LT", the market was going to bear fruit nearly as sweet as they hoped.

so, the team and Hump just looked at each other and were like... uh... I guess we'll dance with you... but not for too long!

regardless... I expect him to be injured by Week 9 next year. would love to be proven wrong that last year was the exception to the rule and see him get better and man that spot for a while.
I hear you & can't disagree really. All legit concerns. However, I think the Sean Kugler system & the quick passing game of KK is what helped him stay injury free in 2019. Doesn't have to hold his blocks as long. We shall see if this holds true moving forward? A freak injury can happen to any of our big nasties on any play, rookie or expensive FA. 300+ pound bodies getting knocked to the ground & rolled upon the knees. Had to roll the dice with someone. Why not be with someone that's familiar with the system & wants to be here?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My opinion is this. They like Jalen Thompson (especially the way he played the last 3-4 games) & BB. VJ said they have a plan for D Thompson. Don't think they sign a safety in FA.

I think in FA, they sign an edge rusher (possibly Marcus Golden?) A DL & a LB.

Drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round would be fine but I think we can get by with Justin Murray & Marcus Gilbert for next season. Maybe even find one in the 4th round? Marcus Gilbert is coming along in his rehab I read last week & wants to stay a Cardinal, says he still has a lot to prove & at least 2 yrs left in him. He could probably be signed cheap. Justin Murray had some clunkers this season but he held up a lot better than I thought he would. Give Sean Kugler a whole off-season to train him & I'll bet you his footwork improves & so does his bending techniques. Both players would save us some money.

But what do I know lol? I could be totally wrong.
I do know this. Whichever side of the ball we concentrate on in FA, the other side will get more attention during the draft.

It's been said we're gonna go defense during FA & offense in the draft.

Bottom line, we're all just fans making guesses lol.

I know I can't wait for FA & the draft to start.

They do need a vet safety, although it won't be a high paid one. We really only have 3 safeties to cover 2 spots and they are all young. Bethea is a cut candidate. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at all as depth and to mentor the young kids.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny thing is, Humphries was better at run blocking in the zone scheme for the Gators, struggled some with pass protection. Now in the NFL, this past season, it looks like that has reversed lol. KD had much more success running on the right side of the line. Some of that had to do with Sweeezy & using the TE. I don't really want to draft a RT at #8 but if we do, Wills or Wirfs would have to be the choices. Provided they're available? Thomas did play RT his freshman yr at Georgia but moved to the left his sophomore yr. Becton is a LT & doesn't have the experience as a pass blocker yet. Louisville runs the ball a whole lot.

I would suggest several knee injuries over the years have limited Humps movement skills which is why his zone blocking isn't what it was.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, but so you are saying you would not then pay a top LT when you finally have one :)

I don't mind paying him, nor do i mind paying him under the terms of this deal. Fact is we need a LT and he's it for the time being. I, like Cheese, don't have a ton of faith in him (nor, apparently, does the team, or they'd have locked him up long-term), so I actually like it.

If you think he IS the answer long-term at LT, and that he'll reach elite level, this is a TERRIBLE deal, because he'll be demanding more money after year 2, and we'll be especially money-strapped getting into Kyler's new deal. That's what I'm pointing out.

It just happened with Kelly Oubre and it's what Hump is hoping for.

Now we will be signing him to a bigger deal in three years and have to figure out how to manipulate Kylers impending massive extension.

Two years, if he's a success, because do you really think he's going to play under the terms of the 3rd year in that case? It's essentially a 2-year deal.

Stout you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If he stays healthy and plays at a high level that’ll be three years strung together. If he commands a Leger contract at that point at least he’ll be worth it.

2 years--see above.

See I’m on the fence so I want him to prove it. Which is why this is a good deal.

Me too. Problem is, if he proves it, we've only given ourselves a bigger headache in two years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The only way this is a successful contract in my mind is if Humphries wins pro bowl at least 1 of the next 2 years.

I think it's unheard of to pay a LT top 3 money that has never made a pro bowl and only played one full season (in 5). Like...never happened before.

If he doesn't play at that level - we overpaid him significantly.

If he doesn't play the majority of the games over the next 1-2 seasons - we will be comparing this contract to David Johnson's albatross. Granted we can get out easier in year 3 but way overpaid.

I hope it works out...Humphries seems like a cool dude.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The only way this is a successful contract in my mind is if Humphries wins pro bowl at least 1 of the next 2 years.

I think it's unheard of to pay a LT top 3 money that has never made a pro bowl and only played one full season (in 5). Like...never happened before.

The #'s represent where they stand as the highest paid O-Lineman in the league.

#1 Trent Brown: 16.5mm per - Never named to pro bowl prior to contract.
On March 13, 2019, Brown signed a four-year, $66 million contract with the Oakland Raiders with $36.75 million guaranteed, making him the highest-paid offensive lineman in the league

#7 Donovan Smith: 13.75mm per - Never named to pro bowl prior to contract.
On March 5, 2019, Smith signed a three-year, $41.5 million contract extension with the Buccaneers.

#3 Nate Solder: 15.5mm per - Never named to pro bowl prior to contract.
On March 15, 2018, Solder signed a four-year, $62 million contract with the New York Giants with $35 million guaranteed, making him the highest-paid offensive lineman in the league at the time.

#4 Jake Matthews: 14.5mm per - Never named to pro bowl prior to contract.
On July 27, 2018, Matthews signed a five-year, $75 million contract extension with the Falcons

This is the last two offseasons?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If he doesn't play the majority of the games over the next 1-2 seasons - we will be comparing this contract to David Johnson's albatross. Granted we can get out easier in year 3 but way overpaid.

Doing things nobody has done before seems to be our raison d'etre at the moment.

1. Drafting consecutive 1st round top 10 QBs
2. Drafting a 5'10" QB at #1
3. Making a college HQ fired with a losing record the HC of an NFL franchise
4. Paying a guy with one healthy season in 6 years whos average at best top 5 money

Keim gotta keep shooting for the moon to try save his job.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All those guys are considered very good left tackles and have had numerous high level season. Except Donovan Smith. I'll give you that.

In fact looking at it they gave Hump Donovan Smiths contract adjusted for inflation. Which is about right, they are about the same level, although Smith doesn't have the injuries.

Everyone should stop using Pro Bowl's as a measure of performance. It's about as accurate as a Twitter poll now.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Everyone should stop using Pro Bowl's as a measure of performance. It's about as accurate as a Twitter poll now.

Can't use Pro Bowls, can't use PFF, can't use # of sacks! What they hell are we supposed to use? :)

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't use Pro Bowls, can't use PFF, can't use # of sacks! What they hell are we supposed to use? :)

I use PFF, it's by far the most accurate measure despite what people try to say! But All Pro is the way to go if you want to use something. Either the writers one or the PFF one. Both are miles more accurate than the Pro Bowl :)

Xavier Rhodes played in the Pro Bowl this year. He had a 46 PFF grade. He was trash and got burnt all season. He was PFF's 7th worst ranked CB with 300+ snaps.

Every year players that had trash seasons get voted in and players who had awesome seasons miss out.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think this year we will be more conservative with our spending and bring in good filler/depth guys and save money for internal extensions. Next year we are going to be swimming in cap space so that’s when I see us really going after the top tier talent available.

To be fair we only have 24 guys under contract for next year and one of those is David Johnson who will be gone. We will have almost $100m to work with to fill those spots.

Bidwill is smart enough to know that teams have to take advantage of a QB on a rookie contract. I expect him to mandate to Keim to be aggressive and we will the Cardinals take a run at some legit players.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Bidwill is smart enough to know that teams have to take advantage of a QB on a rookie contract. I expect him to mandate to Keim to be aggressive and we will the Cardinals take a run at some legit players.

Bidwill should also be smart enough to know next year is going to be the year to push the chips all in and he will have the space to do so. They will make a run at 1 big name FA this offseason and it should be on the defensive side. Build the front 7 and OLine through the next 2 FA and drafts and we will be in a spot to contend.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I have been wrong before and I will not eat crow because I have my moron membership card... Humphries will make the Pro-Bowl which will be forgotten by how much Kyler will be loved by everyone except the stubborn people on this forum still making caveats ever damn time they say something lukewarm positive about him lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bidwill should also be smart enough to know next year is going to be the year to push the chips all in and he will have the space to do so. They will make a run at 1 big name FA this offseason and it should be on the defensive side. Build the front 7 and OLine through the next 2 FA and drafts and we will be in a spot to contend.

You don't want to have a bunch of contracts hitting their highest year when Kyler comes up for his extension. Spending on multiple FAs this year and developing chemistry so you only have to add one or two next year is the optimal play.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bidwill is smart enough to know that teams have to take advantage of a QB on a rookie contract.

hmmm, taking advantage seems overwhelming for the team’s current situation. I have seen it happen with well coached teams with few holes so it’s possible.

if KM continues to shine he won’t see the last year of his rookie contract. So I’m thinking a 1 to 2 year window?

Team building for the next few years and less time fence based decisions I’m hoping.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA