The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's become one of the most fragile "superstars" in the league. Ever since he left Cleveland it seems he's in street clothes more than another team's uniform. He's a good player, when he plays, but the Nets might have been better off keeping Russell. D'Lo led them to the playoffs last year at least.

I know Kyrie and KD were sort of package deal but they had a good young core to build on instead of paying half the salary cap to 2 players who have already established their legacies with titles they won elsewhere.

I do not think he is that good of a player, at least a winning player. Boston has been better without him, injured or gone as a FA.

The Nets are only marginally worse than they were last year and their record this season is actually better when Irving has been out.

They're similar players. Both overrated, Russell more so. But Irving came with Durant. No brainer for the Nets.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's become one of the most fragile "superstars" in the league. Ever since he left Cleveland it seems he's in street clothes more than another team's uniform. He's a good player, when he plays, but the Nets might have been better off keeping Russell. D'Lo led them to the playoffs last year at least.

I know Kyrie and KD were sort of package deal but they had a good young core to build on instead of paying half the salary cap to 2 players who have already established their legacies with titles they won elsewhere.

And the Nets will have at least two more seasons of Irving's 33-36 million dollar contract with a player option for a third season for $36,503,300. Without Durant he might not see the need in risking further injury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He didn't just start being injury prone either. I don't know about high school but he missed something like 18 games a season in Cleveland and was out for 26 games during his only college year. He is incredibly gifted but you can't count on him when he doesn't play and it's a tossup whether you can count on him when he does suit up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please say it isn't so. The Warriors are becoming the Suns West as they plan to sign Dragan Bender.

I guess they liked Chriss enough so they said why not.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now all the Warriors need is Josh Jackson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyrie Irving will reportedly have season ending surgery.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't bender is terrible

I still think he has the potential to be a very good role player but he's given us so little reason to believe he'll ever get there. He's still only 22 so I would have been okay with bringing him back (not thrilled, just okay about it) but I never thought that had much chance of happening, on either side.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 22? every pro is good at 22. NOT Bender

Most pros have shown more at 22 than Bender but no, they aren't all good at 22, not by a long shot. And it's especially true with big men and role players in general. Raja Bell for example wasn't much at all until he was 26 or so. Also, players such as Bruce Bowen, Doug Christie, Ben Wallace, Sam Cassel and even John Stockton were almost throwaways at Bender's age (and even older).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 22? every pro is good at 22. NOT Bender

Not sure where you get that idea.

Here is a list of all NBA players that are 22 & 23, there are 109 players who have played this year of that age. Of those 109, only 25 average double digits in scoring. I know that's not a great criteria to judge whether a player is good or not but I think it's a start. This also doesn't include everyone over 23 that under-perform, or over-perform, but it looks like about a quarter of these players contribute positively to their teams while the rest still haven't found their spot in the league.

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/rzPcY

You can also look to the G-League to see how long it takes some guys to find their way. Last year in the NBA finals, 16 players between the 2 teams had G-League experience. To start last season, roughly 40% of the players on rosters had G-League experience. The average age of G-League players is 25 years old, as of late 2018. So it takes time for pros to find their footing in the league.

So saying most 22 year olds are good is ignoring all of the players who haven't panned out yet and those that never will. It doesn't appear that even half of the 22-23 year olds in the league are contributing positively though.

I don't know if Bender will ever pan out, I lean towards not, but I'm not against Monty taking a look at him to see if he can make a player out of him or not.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not every pro is good at 22, not by a long shot. But Bender has been really really... really bad.

He has gotten more than his fair share of opportunity and his return on those chances is abysmal. He is in the 4th season of his career and he has yet to post a PER above 9.5.

His shooting stats are bad, his rebound rate is absolutely putrid, his usage rate is so low that it is abundantly clear that he is scared of the ball on offense. My only defense of him, and I was one of his defenders, is that his one on one defense is respectable.

I just don't see a path to success for a player who is extremely inept on offense, doesn't rebound and seems to panic anytime the ball is in his hands.

Furthermore, after declining the option on his rookie deal, Bender was never ever coming back here unless we massively outbid someone. For that, I do not blame him. I think he sucks, but he would basically be acknowledging his desperation and suckitude (is that a word?) if he came back here.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I have about as much faith in taco falls becoming something then I do for bender. Bender was a flat out horrible pick that was made based purely on the thought you could turn someone that tall into a player while completely ignoring the obvious fact that he looks about as coordinated as an elementary school kid with a basketball in his hands. He may be 22 but he's had multiple years in the NBA and still looks just as awkward as he did when he first entered the league

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
22 and hasn't shown anything. At best a worst Alex Len. Least Len showed flashes of NBA material. Benders "highlights" are in preseason or beyond garbage time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't follow the Nets but I just read they average nearly 113 Points per 100 with Kyrie on the court and about 10 Points less with him off. So if they're better with him hurt it has to be defense not offense. Which isn't a total surprise he only plays defense in the playoffs, they're nowhere near them so he's presumably not playing any defense.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't follow the Nets but I just read they average nearly 113 Points per 100 with Kyrie on the court and about 10 Points less with him off. So if they're better with him hurt it has to be defense not offense. Which isn't a total surprise he only plays defense in the playoffs, they're nowhere near them so he's presumably not playing any defense.

I wonder what their net rating is when he plays and doesnt play

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what their net rating is when he plays and doesnt play

Their rating is -0.1 with him and -0.5 without him.

For comparison's sake:

The Suns are +1.8 when Booker is on the court, -5.8 when he is off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose