Running back.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
OK add Falcons but they have no cap space. Will be draft for them.

Anyone else?

I don't consider the Texans a certain option. They traded a 3rd for Duke and they aren't a big running team.
Duke did nothing last year. I could see Drake as the kind of player who would be of interest for the Texans. They're in full win-now mode, so drafting a rookie to carry the load doesn't seem ideal.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Here’s hoping we get a motivated DJ and that makes Drake irrelevant.
Stranger things have happened.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duke did nothing last year. I could see Drake as the kind of player who would be of interest for the Texans. They're in full win-now mode, so drafting a rookie to carry the load doesn't seem ideal.

Drake and Duke are like that spiderman meme. He's not a big enough upgrade to warrant paying over the odds.

Dukes problem isn't quality, it's a crap run blocking line.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
@Frank got it pretty close to right. Here's what I want to do:

- Bring back Gonzalez, one of Murray or Gilbert on a one-year deal, same thing with Cassius Marsh and Rodney Gunter, but I'm open to two-year deals with them. I think the totality of these moves can be done for around $7-$8m.

- Sign one reasonably high-tier FA at a position where we have a glaring, zero-starter hole. DE is probably my main focus on spending first, but let's make this flexible. This guy comes in with a larger cap hit that probably gets us to having about $10-$15m left.

- Sign a couple (2-3) mid-tier FAs at the other positions where we have holes. Maybe 1-2 borderline backups with potential to start or rotate. Guys who will hold down the fort at the position if we can't upgrade in the draft, but don't prevent us from drafting a DL, ILB, OT, OLB, WR to upgrade. By this point, I feel like we'll have come close to all of the cap money we can reasonably spend until post-draft..

- In the draft, now we probably have some holes but are hopefully not pressured to take a guy solely for need at #8. I'd love an OT, Simmons, Brown/Kinlaw, Lamb/Jeudy, these guys all fit a need and represent upgrades. Same with round 2, need is now not a major issue and we can pick BPA on a team that can upgrade in many spots. Third/Fourth RB, as I've mentioned.

But this is all going to fit very tightly. We need backups and camp bodies too, which will probably eat up $5m or so itself.

This is all why I don't see how Drake fits. Even worse with a Diggs, and tough with an Okudah when we might not have resolved all of the holes.

Not bad.

I don’t believe Okudah will be available and I don’t feel the price for Diggs will be right.

Unless the team does something foolish I’d be very happy with Brown, Simmons, Wills or Wirfs. Receiver isn’t my preference but having a dynamic player like Jeudy or Lamb wouldn’t be a bad thing.

As far as Drake goes I’m middle of the road as far as bringing him back. If it’s a reasonable deal I say yes. If Atlanta, Houston or another team throws big money at him, no.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Drake and Duke are like that spiderman meme. He's not a big enough upgrade to warrant paying over the odds.

Dukes problem isn't quality, it's a crap run blocking line.
Yikes. Duke was terrible last year, and Hyde ran alright behind that line.

Although, I don't think Drake is all that good, so maybe I should just agree with you. :D

Drake>Duke, IMO.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad.

I don’t believe Okudah will be available and I don’t feel the price for Diggs will be right.

Unless the team does something foolish I’d be very happy with Brown, Simmons, Wills or Wirfs. Receiver isn’t my preference but having a dynamic player like Jeudy or Lamb wouldn’t be a bad thing.

As far as Drake goes I’m middle of the road as far as bringing him back. If it’s a reasonable deal I say yes. If Atlanta, Houston or another team throws big money at him, no.
This organization is going to do whatever it takes to make this offense and Kyler better too. That’s why I believe Lamb is our guy at #8.

I think they’ll do what they can for Drake. Technically we could sign Drake to a 3 year 18 mill contract with 12 mil. guaranteed money. Yearly 2, 7 and 9 in year 3. Just saying there are ways with a little imagination.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@Frank got it pretty close to right. Here's what I want to do:

- Bring back Gonzalez, one of Murray or Gilbert on a one-year deal, same thing with Cassius Marsh and Rodney Gunter, but I'm open to two-year deals with them. I think the totality of these moves can be done for around $7-$8m.

- Sign one reasonably high-tier FA at a position where we have a glaring, zero-starter hole. DE is probably my main focus on spending first, but let's make this flexible. This guy comes in with a larger cap hit that probably gets us to having about $10-$15m left.

- Sign a couple (2-3) mid-tier FAs at the other positions where we have holes. Maybe 1-2 borderline backups with potential to start or rotate. Guys who will hold down the fort at the position if we can't upgrade in the draft, but don't prevent us from drafting a DL, ILB, OT, OLB, WR to upgrade. By this point, I feel like we'll have come close to all of the cap money we can reasonably spend until post-draft..

- In the draft, now we probably have some holes but are hopefully not pressured to take a guy solely for need at #8. I'd love an OT, Simmons, Brown/Kinlaw, Lamb/Jeudy, these guys all fit a need and represent upgrades. Same with round 2, need is now not a major issue and we can pick BPA on a team that can upgrade in many spots. Third/Fourth RB, as I've mentioned.

But this is all going to fit very tightly. We need backups and camp bodies too, which will probably eat up $5m or so itself.

This is all why I don't see how Drake fits. Even worse with a Diggs, and tough with an Okudah when we might not have resolved all of the holes.
so basically dont sign Drake and transfer that money to a bigger splash DL than we could have if we signed Drake. dont hate that, considering David Johnson might (MIGHT) have a bounce back year.... would be so tough to watch Drake walk though

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
so basically dont sign Drake and transfer that money to a bigger splash DL than we could have if we signed Drake. dont hate that, considering David Johnson might (MIGHT) have a bounce back year.... would be so tough to watch Drake walk though
Yep, either a splash DL, or adding two pretty good ones and shoring up that run defense.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This organization is going to do whatever it takes to make this offense and Kyler better too. That’s why I believe Lamb is our guy at #8.

I think they’ll do what they can for Drake. Technically we could sign Drake to a 3 year 18 mill contract with 12 mil. guaranteed money. Yearly 2, 7 and 9 in year 3. Just saying there are ways with a little imagination.

He knows

You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
DJ is now a cap crutch we have to carry, while Edmonds is not bulk enough to carry the stater role. Drake is ideal for this offense and if he leaves, you draft Dobbins out of Ohio St. and call it a day :raccoon:

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
???with what pick???
2nd or 3rd, because, just because we got screwed on a contract with DJ or Drakes leaves, does not exempt us for having to ante up in the draft due to pity or 'not again', but I would pay Drake and keep him because the year following when we really can compete will then matter and DJ will not be a factor while most here have concern over a singular cap space year for when we do not have the horses yet

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd or 3rd, because, just because we got screwed on a contract with DJ or Drakes leaves, does not exempt us for having to ante up in the draft due to pity or 'not again', but I would pay Drake and keep him because the year following when we really can compete will then matter and DJ will not be a factor while most here have concern over a singular cap space year for when we do not have the horses yet
I want Drake too. If he was 29-30 with a ton of carries I’d see things differently.
I also think you need 3 solid backs. Drake and Edmonds are solid and if we’re forced to keep DJ he could be utilized.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I want Drake too. If he was 29-30 with a ton of carries I’d see things differently.
I also think you need 3 solid backs. Drake and Edmonds are solid and if we’re forced to keep DJ he could be utilized.

Everyone seems to be going ballistic about paying two backs too much money but we are not winning a Super Bowl this year regardless. I think we can maybe be a playoff contender or be a 500 team under realistic expectations for our division but you pay Drake, just not crazy DJ or Gurely money but that's not needed to get him. You then cut DJ the following year when the money then can be productive to the ultimate objective which is wining a championship and you already have your running back in tow... now if you do not like Drake, you then have to take one in the early rounds this draft

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be going ballistic about paying two backs too much money but we are not winning a Super Bowl this year regardless. I think we can maybe be a playoff contender or be a 500 team under realistic expectations for our division but you pay Drake, just not crazy DJ or Gurely money but that's not needed to get him. You then cut DJ the following year when the money then can be productive to the ultimate objective which is wining a championship and you already have your running back in tow... now if you do not like Drake, you then have to take one in the early rounds this draft
If you wanted to tell me we were signing Drake for one year, I'd be much less worried about it than signing him to a long deal.

I don't want the guy on a 3 year deal and he puts up 600 yards and we're stuck with him next year.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, I really feel Drake is perfect for this team. Size, speed, blocking and can catch the ball.

All that being said, I’m preparing myself to see him decide to go somewhere else.

The list of F/A RB is not impressive.
Carlos Hyde...dinosaur
Lamar Miller... injuries
Isaiah Crowell...see Miller
Peyton Barber... uh, no
Henry... never gonna happen
Gordon....see Henry
Ekeler...RFA
Breida...not a true #1 RB
Jordan Howard...uh, no
Chris Thompson...uh, no

DeAndre Washington? He is young. He’s got good size. Low miles. Stats compare somewhat to pre-Cardinal Drake.

I know many of you will say just draft one but I really want us to use our 2nd rounder for defense. I’m also not crazy about a rookie stepping in and picking up all the nuances of our offense.

Drake is my guy. Love the Drake. But I really think he is headed out of town. I also think DJ is going to be put on Kliff to utilize him and MAKE him fit. I don’t like that. I can see us drafting a rb but we will have to overdraft to get the one we want.

If we head into the draft with just Edmonds and DJ it will scream to other teams to jump ahead of us in the draft if they see a RB they desire.
I love Drake also & he is perfect for this offense.

But.............? For all we know, maybe SK is negotiating with Drake right now? Didn't let Humphries make it to FA so maybe........?

Maybe they're trying to either trade or restructure D Johnson so that his contract is more cap friendly?

FA is about a month away, so I'm sure they're trying to figure something out?

Would love to listen in to a typical day on what's going on in our FO.

SK has said multiple times they would love to have KD back. It's his job he's trying to save so I see no reason as to why he wouldn't currently be trying to resign KD?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get it Reddog. I want Drake. I’m trying to scour the landscape of who could replace him. I love Edmonds too. If Drake walks I dread the thought of just Edmonds and DJ. It’s funny how so many people here think it’s simple to replace him. It doesn’t appear to be in free agency. The “ You can get Moss in the 5th round” does not guarantee he will be there. We need three solid running backs. I’m alright if DJ is one of them. I think Drake, Edmonds and DJ is pretty damn formidable.
if we're going to pay DJ 16.5 million to play next season, we may as well get 4-5 TD receptions out of him at the very least lol? Give KK a whole off-season to scheme & he will probably come up with some fancy plays using all 3 RB's? It's been said by some that DJ didn't really understand this offense, for some reason KD picked it up right from the start. Maybe DJ will pick it up during the off-season? Trying to find positives in keeping him. For some reason he forgot how to use the jump cut?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Instagram, Florida
Probably he is training with Boldin

BTW he looks taller then I thought

Guess he is 6'3

Nah man he's got the big hair do on. Boldin is 605. Their eye levels are a better indicator. I'd say he's 6'2" tops.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ is now a cap crutch we have to carry, while Edmonds is not bulk enough to carry the stater role. Drake is ideal for this offense and if he leaves, you draft Dobbins out of Ohio St. and call it a day :raccoon:

I like Dobbins but would take a 2nd. Seems a waste when you could get Moss or Akers with a 4th for not much drop off in talent.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here’s hoping we get a motivated DJ and that makes Drake irrelevant.
Stranger things have happened.

I volunteer at PCH, I have met DJ on a couple occasions. He is a really awesome dude.

I don't think it is a question of motivation, he really wants to be great. He was never a guy who darted around people or who flat out blew by defenders. No, he ran people over or made one hard cut. When a player relies on elite strength and jump cuts to make their yardage... it is brief window, and good for him, but bad for the Cards. He is a good dude, he got paid... but he just isn't that player anymore and it has been obvious for a few years. He is trying but his legs just are not there.

His window as an elite, or even starting, caliber player is firmly shut.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I volunteer at PCH, I have met DJ on a couple occasions. He is a really awesome dude.

I don't think it is a question of motivation, he really wants to be great. He was never a guy who darted around people or who flat out blew by defenders. No, he ran people over or made one hard cut. When a player relies on elite strength and jump cuts to make their yardage... it is brief window, and good for him, but bad for the Cards. He is a good dude, he got paid... but he just isn't that player anymore and it has been obvious for a few years. He is trying but his legs just are not there.

His window as an elite, or even starting, caliber player is firmly shut.

Nah man watch his 2016 highlights. He has so much more twitch, speed and agility. It's like watching a different player.

To be fair to him I don't think it's effort. I think the MCL injury he had robbed him of much more than anyone realized.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA