With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Top CB to who? Arizona Cardinals fans? We all seen Peterson get burnt multiple games last season. He’s not even top 10 anymore.

I don’t remember the numbers off the top of my head, but cutting Alford would be easy. I’m pretty the dead cap would minimal

Are you doing this on purpose? Just ignoring that Murphy & Okudah would both be on the field at the same time a majority of the time?

For one, I'm going to give PP21 a pass on 2019.

He was out 6 games; sketchy in 6 and turned it on down the stretch.

That's what I saw!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think we all need to accept the fact that the Cardinals are not going to fill all of their holes with above average players this off-season. Instead of passing on a better player to fill a need this season, it makes more sense to take the BPA (if it's Okudah) at a very important position where it's difficult to acquire top talent.

In 2020, Alford will hopefully provide depth and experience while Okudah learns, and in 2021, the Cardinals would still have a core of Okudah, Peterson, and Murphy - three high draft picks, two still young, all hopefully performing at a high level, at the three CB positions. That could be a championship-caliber secondary.

Remaining holes can be filled in free agency and next off-season. DL, LB, and RT are easier positions to fill in free agency and lower in the draft than CB anyway.

...dave
I have no misgivings about this team filling all of their holes with above average players. I have never seen that happening. I don't want to fill those starting spots with multiple players who would struggle to maintain a backup position on another team.

It's what I've been saying from late last year on... this team is in major trouble financially just being able to fill a 53 man roster.

These aren't "holes" in the sense of "I'd like to upgrade over this bad player," they're holes like "if we don't sign a warm body we are just not going to use defensive ends in our defense next season."

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive got a feeling they only sign one defensive lineman and resign Gunter or Kerr with Allen coming back. Maybe that kid we picked up from the Bears on waivers who's name I cant recall right now.
Bullard. You have a point. I like Bullard. Check out my post in Harry’s “ #8 is in the Cards” and tell me what you think.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Peterson, at best last season, was the 5th best player on defense.

He’s only to get older at a position where father times bites you quicker than most.

I’m not trying to go off topic, but the consensus of this board wanting to sign him to an extension is wild. Maybe even more wilder than wasting Day 2 picks for Leonard Williams.
Ouch

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I know we'd never trade back a few places 3 times in first round to accumulate several mid round 2nds, but if we could, how do these players look to all.

Round 1 Pick 16 (ATL): CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma (A)
Round 2 Pick 8: Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (A-)
Round 2 Pick 12 (IND): Josh Jones, OT, Houston (A-)
Round 2 Pick 15 (ATL): Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU (A)
Round 2 Pick 16 (NYJ): Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan (B-)
Round 3 Pick 8: Matt Hennessy, C, Temple (B)
Round 4 Pick 8: Zack Moss, RB, Utah (A+)
Round 5 Pick 7: Cohl Cabral, C, Arizona State (A-)
Round 7 Pick 8: Kevin McGill, CB, Eastern Michigan (A-)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Geez, I thought it was #15. That scares me. A top 5 grade on a guy you think can't play outside?

We can continue to go around and around on this, I'm just not going to be on board with an Okudah pick until it looks like we've resolved the other problems outside of the draft - and I don't see a financial way to do so.

Your ignorance on nickel corners is baffling. A good nickel corner is a starter in the NFL. Hearing your take is like hearing someone complain about New Coke and Max Headroom.

CB is a premium position in the NFL. Quite a few really good teams over the past decade have had TWO great Outside corners AND a great nickel who played a lot of snaps.

A good RT<<<<<<<< good CB
A good DT<<<<<<<< good CB
A good ILB<<<<<<< good ILB

The only positions worth more are QB and arguably passrusher.

Chase Young is the best player in this draft and Okudah is the second best. If Okudah was available at 8 and the Cardinals passed they would be idiotic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yeah.... Young and Okudah are not gonna be there IMO. Everyone else has a shot of making it to 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Your ignorance on nickel corners is baffling. A good nickel corner is a starter in the NFL. Hearing your take is like hearing someone complain about New Coke and Max Headroom.

CB is a premium position in the NFL. Quite a few really good teams over the past decade have had TWO great Outside corners AND a great nickel who played a lot of snaps.

A good RT<<<<<<<< good CB
A good DT<<<<<<<< good CB
A good ILB<<<<<<< good ILB

The only positions worth more are QB and arguably passrusher.

Chase Young is the best player in this draft and Okudah is the second best. If Okudah was available at 8 and the Cardinals passed they would be idiotic.
You're missing "a godawful RT," "a godawful DT," "a godawful ILB."

We're talking about playing players who are backup caliber in the NFL if we don't address them, and making one position a majorly overstacked strength while ignoring the rest. There's no point in arguing this anymore until free agency has happened. Right now we can't afford to get stacked at a position that does not address the strengths of our division. You can't have superstars at every position.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The issue Keim exhibits in the last couple of drafts is taking guys who are the icing when he lacks the cake so to speak. Taking slot WRs in the second and not a primary outside foundation, taking a slot corner in the second instead of a starting outside corner, taking a X factor LB when you do not have the actual position at LB, taking versatile OL for depth when your starting unit resembles depth... and if we do draft a running back, please take one which can carry the load and be a starter and not a gadget guy since these come later once your actual primary starters are there

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're missing "a godawful RT," "a godawful DT," "a godawful ILB."

We're talking about playing players who are backup caliber in the NFL if we don't address them, and making one position a majorly overstacked strength while ignoring the rest. There's no point in arguing this anymore until free agency has happened. Right now we can't afford to get stacked at a position that does not address the strengths of our division. You can't have superstars at every position.

Right....but it's good to have superstars at the RIGHT positions.

You downplay just how important having good corners are for a good defensive football team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right....but it's good to have superstars at the RIGHT positions.

You downplay just how important having good corners are for a good defensive football team.
I'm not downplaying it man. I'm saying that we can't afford to have the rest of the defense to be garbage and be stacked there. I'd be all for it if we weren't complete trash across a significant part of the roster. There's no point in going in circles on this.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Remember how when people thought D.K would be a 1st round pick after this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wonder if teams wont want to same the mistake again and take a combine winner higher in the draft.

I'm still not sure if D.K is more than a #2 Wr. However, I sure wish the media would press Keim about how in a round of stud of rookie Wrs Keim drafted none that could play right away.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still want Oline and hope this guy is right about Andy
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The O line sucked so we had to change to a short passing game to accommodate it? Even though we had the 4th most accurate deep ball passer in the league? I'm sure I heard someone round here say that before.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would make sense if the Cardinals were expecting to compete for a Championship in 2020. One more time... it's fine for the Cardinals to fill some holes this off-season, and some next.

It's fine for them to be "unbalanced" this year, with some positions strong and others weak (as long as they don't endanger Murray or his development). There's no need to fill all positions equally this off-season. They can take care of remaining holes next time around, and have a balanced roster, capable of a strong playoff run, in 2021.

If they have the same caliber RT this season as last, they may be poor, but they won't be god-awful. And if they have a god-awful DT or LB, that's a bummer, but they simply can't fix every hole this season. Taking a "can't-miss" CB in this draft will leave a hole somewhere else. So be it. Having a very strong 3-deep CB corps for the next few years will be worth it, if Okudah lives up to the hype.

...dbs

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The issue Keim exhibits in the last couple of drafts is taking guys who are the icing when he lacks the cake so to speak. Taking slot WRs in the second and not a primary outside foundation, taking a slot corner in the second instead of a starting outside corner, taking a X factor LB when you do not have the actual position at LB, taking versatile OL for depth when your starting unit resembles depth... and if we do draft a running back, please take one which can carry the load and be a starter and not a gadget guy since these come later once your actual primary starters are there

I'm not nearly the Keim detractor that many on this board are. Mainly because I've met him and Arians here in York, PA (their old stomping grounds), and still see their old friends at certain events. But, I would love to share your post with him to get a response. Your points are well taken & make perfect sense. This offseason will be a telling one for SK. Knowing both of their personalities, I think that even though BA was a great help to SK early in his tenure as GM, he also became a negative influence later on. I still like the draft from last year & this year's draft will tell volumes about his future in AZ.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see this off season as pretty clear cut.

We need to sign at least two weak defensive spots in free agency. I think we have 4 needs. DE, DT, ILB and OLB. We are not going to fill all those needs with top tier free agents.

Pick two, any two. But make it two guys that can be here for a while. No prove it players. Guys like Harris, Kwiatkoski, etc. Brit pointed out Harris is going to want too much $$ but for the sake of this example allow me to use these two names.

That would leave OLB and DT as a remaining need. it appears there will be an OLB/edge type player in the second round that will be able to push, challenge and maybe even replace Reddick. We may have to settle for a depth guy to spell Peters or maybe a 3rd round run stuffer. Can Gunther, Kerr, or Bullard play a role?

Realize we may not ideally fill every need. But if we can fill two spots and draft 1 spot we will have improved this “d”.

Grab Lamb in the first round. Resign Murray and MAYBE take a prove it deal with Gilbert. We still have the rest of the draft and we still have to fill out the rest of the rosters who we want to retain from last year.

I don’t think this is an unattainable plan.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
been listening to Daniel Jeremiah's Move the Sticks podcast.

he described the Ravens approach to drafting (DJ was a Ravens scout):

in the first round / top of 2nd: high floor players, even with lower ceilings are the call. They want first rounders to work. Low risk
3rd and later is where risk taking happens.

on team construction: priority is QB, then o-line, then WR and finally RB. Idea is to put skill players onto a stable foundation.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
been listening to Daniel Jeremiah's Move the Sticks podcast.

he described the Ravens approach to drafting (DJ was a Ravens scout):

in the first round / top of 2nd: high floor players, even with lower ceilings are the call. They want first rounders to work. Low risk
3rd and later is where risk taking happens.

on team construction: priority is QB, then o-line, then WR and finally RB. Idea is to put skill players onto a stable foundation.

Damn...now they tell us! We have been doing the exact opposite!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want the best prospect regardless of position at #8....I think its Simmons, Brown, Jeudy, Lamb, Kinlaw in that order...and some of them may be gone.

In the 2nd and 3rd round I want the best trench players abvailable. We need to strengthen our D-Line by a lot, and our O-line is older without any really stand out players.

It obviously depends on whos available, but gor BPA, BPA trench, BPA trench and I think we have 3 contributors right away.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From my text stream, you can tell Kyler likes him,” Keim said during an interview with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.

There’s good reason for that, as Lamb’s one of the top players in a deep class of receivers this year, and Keim compared him to Texans star DeAndre Hopkins.

“You watch CeeDee Lamb and there are some things that come to mind when I watch him that remind me a little bit of DeAndre Hopkins,” Keim said. “You talk about a guy that maybe isn’t the fastest vertically, but is gritty, tough and runs great routes.”

I think since we lack speed vertically that we'll favor Jeudy over Lamb.

I do find it interesting that most mocks have them as mid 1st round picks. Trading down would be an interesting option, but tough to pass up an olineman.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose