Humps contract structure

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to Cardwire

"According to the NFLPA salary database, almost $40 million of the $45 million is in base salary.

This is what he is scheduled to make in salary the next three seasons:

2020: $11.5 million 2021: $15.1 million 2022: $13.25 million
That only leaves a possible $5.15 million available for a signing bonus.

Let’s say the signing bonus is $5 million and the remaining $150,000 is in miscellaneous roster or workout bonuses.

That would mean his prorated cap hit would only be $1.67 million. His 2020 cap hit would be $13.2 million.

That is less than the $16.1 million the franchise tag would have been or the estimated $14.4 million for the transition tag, but he will have a larger cap hit this year than many expected."

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
good news

Only bad news is the cap space for this year we are down to $39m and after rookie deals we will be closer to $32m. Prob only leaves us able to snag 1-2 decent FA and a lot of filler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/d-j-humphries/3872/

According to OTC his cap hit is:

'20 $12,800,000
'21 $16,400,000
'22 $15,050,000

Zero salary is guaranteed in '21 or '22
He can be cut in '21 and it would only create $1.6 million in dead cap

I'd say the team negotiated a very smart deal.

Those numbers make no sense. Until you read the contract details.

"DJ Humphries signed a 3 year extension with the Arizona Cardinals on February 18, 2020. The contract is worth $44,250,000 with $13,900,000 fully guaranteed at signing with a total potential guarantee of $29 million. Humphries received a $2.4 million signing bonus and full guarantee salary in 2020. Humphries 2021 salary is guaranteed for injury only, and will vest to a full guarantee (likely on 3rd or 5th day of 2021 league year) in the beginning of the 2021 league year. Humphries is also due a $500,000 roster bonus in 2022. Humphries can earn up to $500,000 per year ($31,250 per game active) in roster bonus pay in each of the three years of the contract."

So he doesn't have $29m guaranteed. He only has $13.9m in G's. He can be cut or traded after one year if he's healthy, which is a big if, but still thats a much better deal than I thought. I can live with that.

It can in effect be a 1 year $13.9m contract. If he sucks, or misses a bunch of games, then he can be cut with very little dead money next year.

It's very much like a rolling contract. The team can get out of it any year with little or no dead money.

It also puts the onus on DJ to perform this year to earn that $16.4m deal next year.

I'm much happier about it now Ive seen the details. I can live with that.

The only down side with it is if DJ does his ACL late in the season. He'd be injured through the cut date and would fully guarantee his 2021 money but he might not come back until mid season.

DJ gonna be hitting his knee with a hammer every day from week 14 onwards.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It can in effect be a 1 year $13.9m contract. If he sucks, or misses a bunch of games, then he can be cut with very little dead money next year.

I'm much happier about it now Ive seen the details. I can live with that.

If true, this is the best case scenario and gives him another incentive to perform (like being in a contract year again).

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to Cardwire

"According to the NFLPA salary database, almost $40 million of the $45 million is in base salary.

This is what he is scheduled to make in salary the next three seasons:

2020: $11.5 million 2021: $15.1 million 2022: $13.25 million
That only leaves a possible $5.15 million available for a signing bonus.

Let’s say the signing bonus is $5 million and the remaining $150,000 is in miscellaneous roster or workout bonuses.

That would mean his prorated cap hit would only be $1.67 million. His 2020 cap hit would be $13.2 million.

That is less than the $16.1 million the franchise tag would have been or the estimated $14.4 million for the transition tag, but he will have a larger cap hit this year than many expected."
better to be front loaded like that than backloaded. Get that guaranteed money out of the way first 2 seasons. Nothing is guaranteed after that. Easier to cut cap wise in 2022 if he underperforms.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Only bad news is the cap space for this year we are down to $39m and after rookie deals we will be closer to $32m. Prob only leaves us able to snag 1-2 decent FA and a lot of filler.

32 is plenty of space. If they extend Patrick Peterson, that will create more space. We should be able to re-sign everyone on our own roster we want to re-sign for 10 or so. 22 mil for outside FAs is plenty of space to add multiple players, especially because 16.5 is freed up next off-season when David Johnson and Robert Alford are cut. You can stack larger cap his for year 2 of the contract without back-loading it in a detrimental way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Especially if you consider what we are actually going to be in the market for offensivey.

WR - Only guy I see them considering is Amari Cooper.
TE - Considered only because you can hit the top end of market pretty inexpensively.
C - Though only McGovern or Shipley if they don't stick with Cole/Gaillard.
RG - Sherff but they would save 5 mil because they would cut Sweezy.
RT - Conklin and maybe super low-cost Marcus Gilbert.

Now defensively is another story. Lots of options, but most depends on what Vance is looking to do and how he views the current roster.

If he really likes Jalen Thompson at S opposite of Baker, he won't go after a high dollar one.

If he still likes Alford and Murphy opposite of Peterson (and Peterson signs an extension) we won;t be going after Byron Jones.

ILB has a hole in it. We will get someone. Not sure if it will be a Littleton or a Kwiatkowski/Trevathan.

Really good market for pass rushers though I think it is more of a question off adding one player at a high cost, or two players adding up to a similar cost. A Matt Judon or combo of Correa/Jenkins (my preference is Weatherly)

DL we will add one.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Especially if you consider what we are actually going to be in the market for offensivey.

WR - Only guy I see them considering is Amari Cooper.
TE - Considered only because you can hit the top end of market pretty inexpensively.
C - Though only McGovern or Shipley if they don't stick with Cole/Gaillard.
RG - Sherff but they would save 5 mil because they would cut Sweezy.
RT - Conklin and maybe super low-cost Marcus Gilbert.

Now defensively is another story. Lots of options, but most depends on what Vance is looking to do and how he views the current roster.

If he really likes Jalen Thompson at S opposite of Baker, he won't go after a high dollar one.

If he still likes Alford and Murphy opposite of Peterson (and Peterson signs an extension) we won;t be going after Byron Jones.

ILB has a hole in it. We will get someone. Not sure if it will be a Littleton or a Kwiatkowski/Trevathan.

Really good market for pass rushers though I think it is more of a question off adding one player at a high cost, or two players adding up to a similar cost. A Matt Judon or combo of Correa/Jenkins (my preference is Weatherly)

DL we will add one.

I think this year we will be more conservative with our spending and bring in good filler/depth guys and save money for internal extensions. Next year we are going to be swimming in cap space so that’s when I see us really going after the top tier talent available.

To be fair we only have 24 guys under contract for next year and one of those is David Johnson who will be gone. We will have almost $100m to work with to fill those spots.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also does not rule out a top OT at 8 if the one they love is there. Interesting.

Yeah I meant to say that. Still leaves tackle at 8 wide open. You can draft a guy to play RT with a view to him moving over.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I meant to say that. Still leaves tackle at 8 wide open. You can draft a guy to play RT with a view to him moving over.
I really like that idea. Say we draft OT at 8, are we immediately in top half of the league Oline wise? I think we would be. (THANK YOU KUGLER FOR BEING AN ALL STAR COACH)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Is no one seeing the downside to this contract? I mean, everyone's crowing about not being tied down to him if he plays poorly--and I do like the contract for this reason, because I don't have great faith that he can both stay healthy and play at a high enough level. But say he does do both, and turns into a top OT in the league? Do you think he'll continue playing on that deal beyond 2 years? It's a meh deal, because why should we be happy to resign someone to a deal we can get out of quickly? Kind of like hoping he fails, because if he succeeds, this won't be a good deal long-term, as it will bite us in the rear.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Is no one seeing the downside to this contract? I mean, everyone's crowing about not being tied down to him if he plays poorly--and I do like the contract for this reason, because I don't have great faith that he can both stay healthy and play at a high enough level. But say he does do both, and turns into a top OT in the league? Do you think he'll continue playing on that deal beyond 2 years? It's a meh deal, because why should we be happy to resign someone to a deal we can get out of quickly? Kind of like hoping he fails, because if he succeeds, this won't be a good deal long-term, as it will bite us in the rear.
That’d be a good problem to have. I think if he stays healthy, he will become a legit top LT in the league.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It just happened with Kelly Oubre and it's what Hump is hoping for.

Now we will be signing him to a bigger deal in three years and have to figure out how to manipulate Kylers impending massive extension.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Stout you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If he stays healthy and plays at a high level that’ll be three years strung together. If he commands a Leger contract at that point at least he’ll be worth it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson