Futures: Isaiah Simmons (LB, Clemson) – Football Outsiders

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Simmons but my immediate impression after watching this is that he is too small to play inside against the run. Might be a great safety ala Adub but I don't see him playing a huge every-down run stopping role inside the box or setting the edge.
Not sure what position he will play in the NFL exactly? I do know this about him. He doesn't make bone crushing tackles, but he almost always brings the guy to the ground. He can cover TE's also. That being said, who knows how he would fit into the VJ scheme? In his scheme he may refuse to cover the TE, even with a guy that can do it lol.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I like Simmons, really exciting prospect. However I don't think he fits our D nor should we risk to build around any single player, especially an unproven rookie. Simmons would be a great fit with the Seahawks next to Wagner or with the Niners next to Warner. Prototype modern 4-3 SLB that can cover, blitz and chase the run with a stout 4 man front protecting him. What we needf more than anything else are fundamentally sound players at core positions. Okudah or Brown over Simmons. That said, if it comes down to Simmons or WR, I'd prefer Simmons if we like the WR depth of this class.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If Simmons can't be a 3 down LB in the NFL (with the opportunity to freelance in some other areas at times), then I wouldn't draft him at #8. I don't want another Bucannon and especially not at #8.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Did I miss the boat on why no one is talking about Derrick Brown? He looks like a load inside.

He is a load but you can find that type of player in FA. I don't think he is a complete DT (more of a run stopper).

I like Kinlaw better than Brown but he doesn't finish/not enough production at South Carolina.

I don't see either of them at top 10 picks but that doesn't mean they won't be...

Name the last DT drafted in the top 10 that made an impact/became a force?

You would probably have to go back to 2010/2011.

Suh and Gerald McCoy...maybe Darius?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He is a load but you can find that type of player in FA. I don't think he is a complete DT (more of a run stopper).

I like Kinlaw better than Brown but he doesn't finish/not enough production at South Carolina.

I don't see either of them at top 10 picks but that doesn't mean they won't be...

You need to watch more Derrick Brown. He is a force inside like Suh.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I love Simmons but my immediate impression after watching this is that he is too small to play inside against the run. Might be a great safety ala Adub but I don't see him playing a huge every-down run stopping role inside the box or setting the edge.

230lbs

That is more than enough in the NFL.

We went over this with D-Waste and as long as the young man has the athletic ability he will be fine.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you think he’s to small? He’s huge. 6’4 230lbs and hasn’t got in an NFL weight room yet.

that’s why people think he’s so special

I don't think he small as a OLB or even as an ILB in some divisions, but in this division where the emphasis is on pounding the rock he just looks lanky. Might not be an issue just my impression from watching those clips. Carlos Dansby was 6'4" 250.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Rams can get away with Littleton and the 49ers can get away with Warner because they have defensive lineman that protect them

the Cards could easily make Simmons work at WILB -- but to get the full benefit of his athleticism and speed would have to add defensive lineman to protect him

Joe Walker played next to Hicks last year at 6-2, 236.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did I miss the boat on why no one is talking about Derrick Brown? He looks like a load inside.
I believe the conversation is strictly about Simmons pro potential, and not whether he's a better pick at 8 than Brown is. If both are there at 8, my pick would be Brown also.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I had similar thoughts initially about Brown & then I did more homework on him. He's a brute dude. Watch more film & listen to some former FO people who know what makes a DLineman special. One man can't stop Brown. I've seen him de-cleat O-Linemen & toss others aside. He has unusual strength & quickness. I've heard whispers of scouts that compare his skillset to Reggie White's skills. Could be ludicrous to say that, but the kid is also extremely intelligent on and off the field, and brings a great work ethic. He's the whole package. If he's there at 8, IMO you run to the podium.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I was watching the replay of cards super bowl( not the last two minutes!) and when I took note of a-dub. That exact thought came to mind. Simmons could be a monster safety.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I had similar thoughts initially about Brown & then I did more homework on him. He's a brute dude. Watch more film & listen to some former FO people who know what makes a DLineman special. One man can't stop Brown. I've seen him de-cleat O-Linemen & toss others aside. He has unusual strength & quickness. I've heard whispers of scouts that compare his skillset to Reggie White's skills. Could be ludicrous to say that, but the kid is also extremely intelligent on and off the field, and brings a great work ethic. He's the whole package. If he's there at 8, IMO you run to the podium.

I respect your opinion. That would be a hell of a comparison.

Elected 2002

You must be registered for see images
In his four years with the Vols, Reggie White collected a school-record 32 sacks in establishing himself as the most prolific pass rusher in Tennessee history.

Known as the "Minister of Defense," White earned continuous praise. After collecting 146 tackles his first two years, the ordained Baptist minister began turning heads.

The 1983 team captain, White drew little publicity until the sixth game of his senior year. By then, his domination was evident. He collected 100 tackles on the season, 72 of them unassisted, and set the school-record with 15 sacks for the year. He had a sack in every game but two and dropped the quarterback four times against The Citadel, another school record.

White's senior campaign earned him All-SEC and consensus All-America honors. The SEC named him Player of the Year, making him the first Vol since his coach, Johnny Majors, was given the award in 1956. White was the Atlanta Touchdown Club's Player of the Year. The Birmingham Touchdown Club named him Most Outstanding Lineman and the Birmingham Monday Morning Quarterback Club awarded him Most Outstanding Senior.

White moved to defensive end in the NFL and became one of the best pass rushers in league history. After a stint with the USFL's Memphis Showboats in 1984-85, he played for the Philadelphia Eagles (1985-92), Green Bay Packers (1993-98) and Carolina Panthers (2000). He was NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1987 and led the Packers to a win in the 1996 Super Bowl. White retired as the NFL's all-time sack leader with 198.

He and Doug Atkins are the only Tennessee players to ever be voted into both the College Football Hall of Fame and the Professional Football Hall of Fame (2006).

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I've heard whispers of scouts that compare his skillset to Reggie White's skills.
that would be Bucky Brooks, who says Brown does similar things in terms of throwing guys around. Bucky also took pains to qualify that comparison

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I believe the conversation is strictly about Simmons pro potential, and not whether he's a better pick at 8 than Brown is. If both are there at 8, my pick would be Brown also.

Sure but I've seen little conversation about Brown and more hand wringing about Simmons.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I'd prefer Okudah, Brown, or an OT at 8. Okudah would pair really nice with Pat P.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Nope he is a load and closer to the draft he will be tough to pass on if there

He's got to be a specimen. He's got to have a Kobe level killer instinct. He's got to commit to being in shape at all times. And he's got to be a solid pass rusher with good passes defended numbers.

I'm just not sold that he can destroy the pocket like Suh, McCoy, or Donald can/could. And if you are in the top 10....... You need more than a super good run-stuffer (which he is).

Quinnen had 19.5 TFL and 8 sacks in 2018.
Brown has 22.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks in his last two years combined.

His floor is not high enough IMO to consider him in the top 10. He's just the only viable option up in this area so he's getting the "positional scarcity bump" IMO.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He's got to be a specimen. He's got to have a Kobe level killer instinct. He's got to commit to being in shape at all times. And he's got to be a solid pass rusher with good passes defended numbers.

I'm just not sold that he can destroy the pocket like Suh, McCoy, or Donald can/could. And if you are in the top 10....... You need more than a super good run-stuffer (which he is).

Quinnen had 19.5 TFL and 8 sacks in 2018.
Brown has 22.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks in his last two years combined.

His floor is not high enough IMO to consider him in the top 10. He's just the only viable option up in this area so he's getting the "positional scarcity bump" IMO.

Totally agree. We are talking about a DT here...you could probably extend the following comment to the top 15-20 picks in round 1 and you would get Aaron Donald and...

That position has just not been an impact pick in round 1. We can fill it in FA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose