DJ Humphries Re-Signed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure ..

And if Kugler after review, workout, etc has serious reservations about 'X" they simply discount his opinion because he and the other position coaches have nothing to do with setting up the big board.

Where did you pick up pick up this BS?

Cue: Solar in support followed by your fawning.

There's no situation where a player got past numerous scouts, the head of PP and Steve Keim to the point where they liked him enough to have a private workout and then Kugler (or any position coach) has serious reservations.

Wouldn't happen. Not possible.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ sure has a great attitude & a lot of optimism about the team's future. Seems as though he'd be a fun guy with whom to grab a beer!

...dave

Hump always been a happy go lucky guy. I like him, he's a good dude.

But that's also been part of his problem with effort in training etc

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're acting like I don't know anyone in the industry myself. Yes, they are busy coaching all season, which is why I am saying they can't possibly have the same influence as a scout who is essentially the gatekeeper of the evaluation process.

It's like when we drafted Rodney Gunter - a scout is the one who drove down a dirt road to work him out in a remote field, not an assistant coach.
The whole context of this discussion is how much influence Kugler's opinion had in the decision to re-sign Humphreys,

In that context, Kugler was indeed busy coaching all season... coaching Humphries! And your story of a scout (which as others pointed out and you've acknowledged was actually a position coach) in a far-flung location is irrelevant.

... dbs

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no situation where a player got past numerous scouts, the head of PP and Steve Keim to the point where they liked him enough to have a private workout and then Kugler (or any position coach) has serious reservations.

Wouldn't happen. Not possible.
So there isn't any point in position coaches reviewing college tape in the off-season, etc. because as an intimate of the process you can say categorically that they have nothing to add to conclusions already reached?

I suggest the process is nowhere near as rigid as you envisage and Keim, for one, has addressed this in the past.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The whole context of this discussion is how much influence Kugler's opinion had in the decision to re-sign Humphreys,

In that context, Kugler was indeed busy coaching all season... coaching Humphries! And your story of a scout (which as others pointed out and you've acknowledged was actually a position coach) in a far-flung location is irrelevant.

... dbs
My entire point is basically that Kugler could have easily been asked about Humphries and said "I don't think he's the greatest but we'll continue to work on him," especially in the context of what's available, but had management say to him "well, here are the alternatives, they're not great," and have Kugler say "with those choices I'll go with Humphries."

This is a frequent business issue, to fall back on my habit of those. If upper management pulls me into the office to help on the evaluation of our main platform that I don't particularly love but know, I say I want to upgrade to X, and they say it's just not feasible but we could afford Y and go through all of the implementation process, I might just stick with the original.

It's why I don't know if Kugler is "happy," which implies to me that this is what he really wanted and went out of his way to go to bat for Humphries. It just seems like an assumption to me.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My entire point is basically that Kugler could have easily been asked about Humphries and said "I don't think he's the greatest but we'll continue to work on him," especially in the context of what's available, but had management say to him "well, here are the alternatives, they're not great," and have Kugler say "with those choices I'll go with Humphries."

This is a frequent business issue, to fall back on my habit of those. If upper management pulls me into the office to help on the evaluation of our main platform that I don't particularly love but know, I say I want to upgrade to X, and they say it's just not feasible but we could afford Y and go through all of the implementation process, I might just stick with the original.

It's why I don't know if Kugler is "happy," which implies to me that this is what he really wanted and went out of his way to go to bat for Humphries. It just seems like an assumption to me.

As is your first paragraph.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like just about everything said on here is an "assumption".

Or a guess. Or an "imo". Or "I think". Or..

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sounds to me like just about everything said on here is an "assumption".

Or a guess. Or an "imo". Or "I think". Or..

Yes, the weird hypothetical rabbit hole of Kugler's authority is a strange sidebar.

I'm refreshing OvertheCap to get the details on Humphries' deal before forming a firm opinion.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The die is cast and DJ is here for at least the next 2 seasons. What the scouts, Kugler, KK or anyone else input was, it is done. It really doesn't matter the "behind the scenes" intrigue, IMO.

There are too many holes to fill and the $$$ are dwindling down. Hope SK can pull off a miracle in the draft.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have zero doubt that kugler was asked about Hump.
I have read that the coaches and scouts work together so that the scouts learn what the position coaches are looking for in a player.

I also read that the reason we drafted Q was because the WR coach at the time was adamant that Q was special.

I listen to Sirius NFL channel and they have a retired oline coach who discusses about players he watches video of, like he did when he was still coaching. He finds time to watch draft prospects and current pros.

Football people eat, drink and live football and love watching video of players and teams tactics.

During the season as Kugler is watching film of the latest game he is grading all his olinemen and of course sharing that information with KK and Keim. While developing a game plan Kugler is asked if his oline can handle this or that play.

Isn't Kugler the run game coordinator.

I believe that the scouts grade all the players and position coaches then start with the highest graded and start watching film and assign their own grades and move on down the list.

If I'm a position coach and my job depends on how my unit performs then I'm absolutely giving my opinion on which players I want to coach.

If an organization doesn't want or value my opinion on who I want to coach I move on as soon as possible.

Solar and Brit have jumped the shark on this topic.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So there isn't any point in position coaches reviewing college tape in the off-season, etc. because as an intimate of the process you can say categorically that they have nothing to add to conclusions already reached?

I suggest the process is nowhere near as rigid as you envisage and Keim, for one, has addressed this in the past.

I'm saying position coaches have no say in who we draft and no s
Tell me what's it like hitting the sledge with Hump since you were there training :)

I don't have to be there. It's well documented BA had a problem with his work ethic.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm saying position coaches have no say in who we draft and no s

I don't have to be there. It's well documented BA had a problem with his work ethic.

And what you say on the role of position coaches in helping assess the top 120 board is charitably and commonly referred to as ill-informed and wrong.

You add a lot to this board but, frankly, your need to impose your views and hot takes are baffling.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From what OTC has posted on Humphries deal it is super easy for the Cardinals to get out of it if they choose.

Only $12.8 million cap hit this year

If he is cut in 2021 it only creates $1.6 million in dead cap and frees up $14.8 ($16.4 million cap hit in '21, $15 million+ in '22)

This was a smart deal.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope he improves next season glad they resigned him though

Now let's get some oline quality in draft!!

Need to protect Murray make him feel he is behind Sooners line :)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach
Lol king of the hill was one of my favorite shows dale and boomhauer was favourite character kahn was funny as well

Lol i have a cousin in georgia who talks just like boomhauer it's hiliarious

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And what you say on the role of position coaches in helping assess the top 120 board is charitably and commonly referred to as ill-informed and wrong.

You add a lot to this board but, frankly, your need to impose your views and hot takes are baffling.

I don't know what happened on the post. Must have been something I started typing and abandoned.

Always makes me chuckle when someone accuses me of trying to "oppose my view" or something similar. When by definition the person making the accusation is doing the exact same think with their opposing view.

Look, I never said position coaches have no role. In fact I said they do have a role late in the game, but the idea that position coaches have anything other than a small voice in who is picked is wrong, with the exception I'm sure of legends like Scar and Munchak. Their opinion is just another one on the pile with several others. And every team works differently.

There's been a lot of "If Kugler says this" or "Kugler thinks that" from people as if Keim is just waiting for Kugler to tell him what to do. Something I don't ever recall people saying about Goodwin or Brown.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
So glad they brought him back. You don’t get better as a team by letting good players walk away. I like Thomas and Wirfs but I like Brown and Okudah more so here’s hoping one of them falls.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/d-j-humphries/3872/

Hm. This is not a contract that says the Cards are going All-in in 2020. Don't know exactly what Humphries got out of this. Maybe Brit is right and Humphries' agents weren't feeling the energy from outside the Cards.

He basically gets the Franchise number guaranteed and two one-year deals after that. This does nothing to dissuade the Cards from drafting an LT early. Hump is basically on a series of one-year deals. He doesn't even get a ton of money up-front as a signing bonus.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know what happened on the post. Must have been something I started typing and abandoned.

Always makes me chuckle when someone accuses me of trying to "oppose my view" or something similar. When by definition the person making the accusation is doing the exact same think with their opposing view.

Look, I never said position coaches have no role. In fact I said they do have a role late in the game, but the idea that position coaches have anything other than a small voice in who is picked is wrong, with the exception I'm sure of legends like Scar and Munchak. Their opinion is just another one on the pile with several others. And every team works differently.

There's been a lot of "If Kugler says this" or "Kugler thinks that" from people as if Keim is just waiting for Kugler to tell him what to do. Something I don't ever recall people saying about Goodwin or Brown.

I and many others qualify their opinion, you offer yours with the absolute certainty found in the young, the immature, the insecure and second rate minds.

Don't know which one fits and won't venture a guess.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/d-j-humphries/3872/

Hm. This is not a contract that says the Cards are going All-in in 2020. Don't know exactly what Humphries got out of this. Maybe Brit is right and Humphries' agents weren't feeling the energy from outside the Cards.

He basically gets the Franchise number guaranteed and two one-year deals after that. This does nothing to dissuade the Cards from drafting an LT early. Hump is basically on a series of one-year deals. He doesn't even get a ton of money up-front as a signing bonus.
I agree that Humphries deal is very team friendly. It supports the concern regarding his injury history and that he wants to stay in Arizona long term. How I read it is that he gets 13 up front. He bumps to 16.44 if he stays healthy and has a solid year which is going to put him at one of the top paid LTs in the NFL. If he then stays healthy again, the Cardinals will be looking to extend him further and he will be able to make a case for a monster contract. He is definitely betting on himself.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I and many others qualify their opinion, you offer yours with the absolute certainty found in the young, the immature, the insecure and second rate minds.

Don't know which one fits and won't venture a guess.

Its all 4 obviously