Prepare for an off-season of continuity.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He doesn't have any guaranteed money in 2022??
I may be wrong but the way I read the contract details is 29 million guaranteed. That's all in 2020 & 2021. The last yr of his contact in 2022 isn't guaranteed, making him a lot cheaper to cut. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I may be wrong but the way I read the contract details is 29 million guaranteed. That's all in 2020 & 2021. The last yr of his contact in 2022 isn't guaranteed, making him a lot cheaper to cut. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
It depends how the guaranteed money is set up. If it is a bonus, normally that is spread over the life of the contract and the rest is back-loaded. If it is just guaranteed dollars, it is probably the 45 spread over 3.

The 15 per year gives him incentive to renegotiate in the third year, or us being able to cut him. However, it gives us less space to work with which I don't love.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals invested a 3rd round pick in Mason Cole two years ago. He would be a lot cheaper than trying to re-sign Shipley.

He can't be any worse than Shipley and it's his 3rd year. If he's not ready now he likely never will be.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They will '' maybe'' sign Shipley through the season like they did with Sendlein few years a go, if the younger players aren't offering a good performance

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Based on everything the radio guys are saying, they don't expect Shipley back.
Three reasons for this.

1-Connor McGovern has not re-signed and may not be franchised by Denver. Kugler thought highly of McGovern when he was in Denver, and moved him to C when Paradis got injured in 2018.

2-Mason Cole.

3-Shipley's age vs contract ask. You can make a case for Shipley to command 6 mil on the market. I don't know that he gets it, but his age means you can wait and see.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Three reasons for this.

1-Connor McGovern has not re-signed and may not be franchised by Denver. Kugler thought highly of McGovern when he was in Denver, and moved him to C when Paradis got injured in 2018.

2-Mason Cole.

3-Shipley's age vs contract ask. You can make a case for Shipley to command 6 mil on the market. I don't know that he gets it, but his age means you can wait and see.

The problem with McGovern is that I dont think thr Cardinals want to spend the coin to sign him, but you never know.

I've said elsewhere on this board, the Cardinals had Mason Cole rotating in when the line was healthy. Teams that do that are usually trying to see a young guy in game situations for future evaluation. With Murray now no longer a rookie, the allure for Shipleys experience is waning.

I'd doubt Shipleu gets that kind of coin on the open market now.