8 is the Cards Number

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Not only is that their draft pick but they are tied for the 8th toughest schedule in the league. Of course that’s what happens when you’re in a division with 3 other playoff contenders. The Rams May be slipping but they’re a tough out for the Cards. This gives further credence to my belief the Cards should think of this as more of a building year, than a contending year. That should impact how they structure, their payroll, FA & the draft. They need to think long term, not temporary plugs for holes.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Can't assume that SOS is accurate. Actually SOS proves to be very shaky at best. What we need is a winning culture, not a rebuilding culture. Several franchises are seemingly rebuilding for many years. Niners went from worst to first in no time. We absolutely owned them in years past. We beat the Seahawks in Seattle and played the Niners very tight. If we just improve a little bit in all phases, we might be closer to contending for the division than you think. It happens every year that some team goes from worst to first. We can't waste KM's rookie contract that's sure. Go get it!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can't assume that SOS is accurate. Actually SOS proves to be very shaky at best. What we need is a winning culture, not a rebuilding culture. Several franchises are seemingly rebuilding for many years. Niners went from worst to first in no time. We absolutely owned them in years past. We beat the Seahawks in Seattle and played the Niners very tight. If we just improve a little bit in all phases, we might be closer to contending for the division than you think. It happens every year that some team goes from worst to first. We can't waste KM's rookie contract that's sure. Go get it!
We were a defense away from winning 4-5 more games this season. That would've been 9-7 or 10-6. Sign the right pieces on defense in FA & draft well.............. Those 4-5 games lost have a chance to be victories in 2020.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only is that their draft pick but they are tied for the 8th toughest schedule in the league. Of course that’s what happens when you’re in a division with 3 other playoff contenders. The Rams May be slipping but they’re a tough out for the Cards. This gives further credence to my belief the Cards should think of this as more of a building year, than a contending year. That should impact how they structure, their payroll, FA & the draft. They need to think long term, not temporary plugs for holes.

Only 1 of the 8 finalists (KC) from 2018 made that grade in 2019 and a 4-12 team from the season past made it to the SB final.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are people getting all pissy about the SOS?

We plays the Rams, Niners and Seahawks twice. We play the Cowboys, Patriots, and Eagles. That's at least 9 tough games.

Then we have,

Redskins - Great HC. New staff, Chase Young, Trent Williams back, a bunch of high value draft picks.
Bills - Playoff team, great defense, they have $82m in cap space with 42 players and no major contracts to resign. They are going to make a huge splash and be a tough team.
Dolphins - Also have a crap load of money and tonnes of draft capital. Could be anything next year.
Giants - I'll give you this one.
Jets - See above
Lions - Stafford back, bunch of high picks including probably Okudah. They going to be a good team.
Panthers - Rebuilding year. I still think they keep Cam if he's fit. But some great players there, always tough.

I'd say 8 is about right, might even be tougher than that. I don't see many teams there that are going to fall off a cliff and be easy wins for us.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In free agency sign a DE, a DT and a ILB. Fill in any names you’d like , but be real.

I think a guy like Shelby Harris or fits nicely at DE . A DT like Andre Billings could add depth behind Peters. I really like ILBKwiatkowski. He is tenacious and a scrapper. Might even consider a guy like DE Jason Pierre Paul or Robert Quinn for short term at DE. None off these guys are going to break the bank.

You might be thinking what about OLB? Looking at the draft there are going to be a few players that could fill that need when we are at the podium with the 40 th pick. Gross-Matos, Zack Baun or Jon Greenard could be groomed, spell or perhaps even replace Reddick.

Draft Lamb with our 8 th pick and the rest is gravy. That’s a lot of holes filled without breaking the bank.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We plays the Rams, Niners and Seahawks twice. We play the Cowboys, Patriots, and Eagles. That's at least 9 tough games.

Then we have,

Redskins - Great HC. New staff, Chase Young, Trent Williams back, a bunch of high value draft picks.
Bills - Playoff team, great defense, they have $82m in cap space with 42 players and no major contracts to resign. They are going to make a huge splash and be a tough team.
Dolphins - Also have a crap load of money and tonnes of draft capital. Could be anything next year.
Jets - See above
Lions - Stafford back, bunch of high picks including probably Okudah. They going to be a good team.
Panthers - Rebuilding year. I still think they keep Cam if he's fit. But some great players there, always tough.

I'd say 8 is about right, might even be tougher than that. I don't see many teams there that are going to fall off a cliff and be easy wins for us.
SOS in the offseason is pointless. A lot of folks had the Ravens missing the playoffs & Niners only be an average team.

I also disagree with some of your comments talking about the non-playoff teams:

Redskins - I think Rivera is a sub-par at best HC more than anything still living in 2001. Hopefully him owning us with just him owning Arians. They’ll be a tough defensive team, but I think they still have long ways to go on offense.

Bills - Good HC. Great defense. They’ll draft some playmakers at WR, but Josh Allen still remains questionable.

Dolphins - Flores shocked me last season. I think that’ll be a tough game. You just don’t know with Fitzpatrick.

Giants - Some good offensive pieces. Defense remains very questionable.

Jets - I despise Gase so hopefully we come out with a win. I think they’ll remain middling.

Lions - Patricia is garbage.

Panthers - I like the Joe Brady higher. If they keep Cam, this honestly might be the toughest game out of this list.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In free agency sign a DE, a DT and a ILB. Fill in any names you’d like , but be real.

I think a guy like Shelby Harris or fits nicely at DE . A DT like Andre Billings could add depth behind Peters. I really like ILBKwiatkowski. He is tenacious and a scrapper. Might even consider a guy like DE Jason Pierre Paul or Robert Quinn for short term at DE. None off these guys are going to break the bank.

You might be thinking what about OLB? Looking at the draft there are going to be a few players that could fill that need when we are at the podium with the 40 th pick. Gross-Matos, Zack Baun or Jon Greenard could be groomed, spell or perhaps even replace Reddick.

Draft Lamb with our 8 th pick and the rest is gravy. That’s a lot of holes filled without breaking the bank.

I think Harris wants too much money from what Ive seen. He's making noises like he wants Suh money. But the others I can get behind.

I'm not sure they have the money for JPP or Quinn. The big question that has been lost in all the holes this off season is who is opposite CJ. Edge rushers cost serious wedge and I'm not super hot on any of the guys that might be there in the 2nd like Usch or Anae.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Harris wants too much money from what Ive seen. He's making noises like he wants Suh money. But the others I can get behind.

I'm not sure they have the money for JPP or Quinn. The big question that has been lost in all the holes this off season is who is opposite CJ. Edge rushers cost serious wedge and I'm not super hot on any of the guys that might be there in the 2nd like Usch or Anae.
Haven’t seen anything on Harris and money expectations. PFF is saying he should not break the bank.
From everything I’ve read it seems an OLB will be available when we select in the second round. There appears to be 3 or 4 guys that could fit the mold.
As far as Quinn or JPP the market will decide where they go. It’s a stretch but if there is a lack of interest they may come here as a bargain.
Bottom line, if we want to see a notable improvement the very least we need to sign a DE and a ILB in free agency plus add something on the defensive side in round two.
I don’t want to see old, injured guys on prove it contracts. We are pass that stage. The only guy I would take a chance on is Gilbert but he would have to be VERY cheap or an incentive laden contract.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haven’t seen anything on Harris and money expectations. PFF is saying he should not break the bank.
From everything I’ve read it seems an OLB will be available when we select in the second round. There appears to be 3 or 4 guys that could fit the mold.
As far as Quinn or JPP the market will decide where they go. It’s a stretch but if there is a lack of interest they may come here as a bargain.
Bottom line, if we want to see a notable improvement the very least we need to sign a DE and a ILB in free agency plus add something on the defensive side in round two.
I don’t want to see old, injured guys on prove it contracts. We are pass that stage. The only guy I would take a chance on is Gilbert but he would have to be VERY cheap or an incentive laden contract.

He's not being a douche about it but he's 28. He knows this is probably his last contract. He said he's going where the money is even though he would like to stay in Denver. I don't blame him.

Spotrac has his market value at $12m per :S

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Shelby Harris
If the Cards want in on the FA it looks like they are going to have competition with the Colts and Broncos.

Shelby Harris could be another Denver defender on his way to free agency. I’m told Harris prefers to stay in Denver and would gladly re-sign with the club if the two sides come to a contract agreement. Otherwise, the feeling is Harris could land in Indianapolis if he hits the open market.
https://www.milehighreport.com/2020...rs-to-stay-in-denver-colts-will-be-interested

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Another option might be Jordan Philips. Also plays in a 3-4, similar one season wonder, seems to be getting less buzz so might be cheaper. Spotrac has his market value at $7m for some reason. Even though he's younger and had a better season.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The fan in us doesn't want to hear this Harry, but to be quite honest, you are spot on. I want so badly to believe that if the bum Niners can flip the narrative overnight, then why can't we. Fact is, we don't have the talent (yet) to accomplish such a feat, nor the front office competency.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not being a douche about it but he's 28. He knows this is probably his last contract. He said he's going where the money is even though he would like to stay in Denver. I don't blame him.

Spotrac has his market value at $12m per :S
Eeks. That’s too much.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Then we have,

Jets - See above

It's looking like a brutal schedule. The Cowboys now have a real HC, the Pats will reload after last year's debacle, and if healthy, the Eagles could be the best team in the NFC. Add our tough NFCW teams to the schedule & all I can say is "OUTCH".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave