The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah, I read a lot about it at one time and it's why I've always argued against Sarver being the worst. There are a couple of bad owners in his class such as the guy in Cleveland but IMO Dolan and Taylor stand alone as the worst NBA owners (now that Sterling is out).
Jerry built the Suns from an expansion team to a perpetual 50-and-fade team.

As the Valley grew enormously from being a small town to a mid-size market
(partially with Jerry's participation on the Phoenix 40), I hoped that the Suns
expectations would grow as well.

Now we're arguing about just how low we rank among the worst owners.

They say that not moving ahead is falling behind. We have fallen way behind!

Even if Sarver "advances" to somewhere in the lower third, is that really about
the Suns advancing? As we know, our team has regressed. I find no solace in
debating whether we're the worst or 4th worst.

Our immediate priority should be . . . not another decade of missing the playoffs.
Which begins with . . . not another season. But, here we go again.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think he said his only regret was not leaving sooner. The Suns reportedly tried trading for him in 07’ and KG wanted to be here.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2917781

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...t-a-sun-and-the-miami-big-3-nearly-wasnt/amp/

Just listened to the Simmons-Nash podcast and they talked about KG. Nash said KG wanted to come here but ownership wouldn’t agree to take on his contract. Nash said he would talk to KG on the phone about playing together. Damn.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now we're arguing about just how low we rank among the worst owners.

Right is right BC. He's been a bad owner and we have nothing to celebrate in acknowledging that there are even worse owners but what purpose does it serve to willingly allow inaccuracies to go unchallenged.

There is really no hard and fast way to prove any one owner is worse than any other but there is sufficient evidence to suggest that Sarver is one of several incompetent owners, not supremely incompetent.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just listened to the Simmons-Nash podcast and they talked about KG. Nash said KG wanted to come here but ownership wouldn’t agree to take on his contract. Nash said he would talk to KG on the phone about playing together. Damn.

Did he say when? Was there some other way to acquire him when the Marion deal fell through that didn't involve Stat? I just can't think of when he would have been available to us that money would have been the stumbling block? Regardless, putting Nash with Amare and Garnett would have been a lot of fun.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did he say when? Was there some other way to acquire him when the Marion deal fell through that didn't involve Stat? I just can't think of when he would have been available to us that money would have been the stumbling block? Regardless, putting Nash with Amare and Garnett would have been a lot of fun.
Yes. I wonder when this was. If was when KG left for the Nets, it was the right decision not to sign him. If it was when KG went to Boston it was a colossal blunder.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes. I wonder when this was. If was when KG left for the Nets, it was the right decision not to sign him. If it was when KG went to Boston it was a colossal blunder.

Obviously 07’. Nash was off the Suns when KG went to Brooklyn.

Boston signed him to an extension the day they traded for him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Right is right BC. He's been a bad owner and we have nothing to celebrate in acknowledging that there are even worse owners but what purpose does it serve to willingly allow inaccuracies to go unchallenged.

There is really no hard and fast way to prove any one owner is worse than any other but there is sufficient evidence to suggest that Sarver is one of several incompetent owners, not supremely incompetent.

That was my point, Steve. What does it matter which unsuccessful owner is the worst of the group?
Who wants to see their team in that group? Missing the playoffs season after season.

And as far as a hard and fast way to evaluate it, I suggest looking at the Suns record since, I posted
the research once, four years after Sarver took charge and it was pretty much his team on the court.

This season will be a decade out of the playoffs. That's pretty hard and fast evidence. Even without
factoring in the irresponsible things we've seen him say and do. The eye test seems conclusive.

Not just what he's done, but how he's done it. Over and over.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockets plan to sign DeMarre Carroll and Jeff Green.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reggie Jackson seems so much better than a buyout player. Some of these waivers are perplexing as to why a trade couldn't get done.

Wonder if the Suns considered trading Tyler Johnson for him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reggie Jackson seems so much better than a buyout player. Some of these waivers are perplexing as to why a trade couldn't get done.

Wonder if the Suns considered trading Tyler Johnson for him.
What would have been the point? Why would Detroit want Tyler? They are trimming salary and tanking and doing their player a solid by letting him go to a contender. I do not see how the Suns could have pushed their way into that scenario.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would have been the point? Why would Detroit want Tyler? They are trimming salary and tanking and doing their player a solid by letting him go to a contender. I do not see how the Suns could have pushed their way into that scenario.

The Suns would have had to include a future second round pick and paid the difference in salary but I think it would have been doable if the Suns wanted Jackson.

It's probably a matter the Suns didn't want to go this direction with a proven point guard in Rubio.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Story filed to ESPN: After a brief and tumultuous tenure, John Beilein is leaving as Cleveland's coach. Associate HC JB Bickerstaff will be elevated to head coach. Beilein's expected to say goodbye to staff and players on Wednesday upon team's return from All-Star Break.

6:57 PM - 18 Feb 2020

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyrie Irving reportedly re-aggravates his shoulder injury and will be out indefinitely.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...finitely-After-Re-Aggravating-Shoulder-Injury

He's become one of the most fragile "superstars" in the league. Ever since he left Cleveland it seems he's in street clothes more than another team's uniform. He's a good player, when he plays, but the Nets might have been better off keeping Russell. D'Lo led them to the playoffs last year at least.

I know Kyrie and KD were sort of package deal but they had a good young core to build on instead of paying half the salary cap to 2 players who have already established their legacies with titles they won elsewhere.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's become one of the most fragile "superstars" in the league. Ever since he left Cleveland it seems he's in street clothes more than another team's uniform. He's a good player, when he plays, but the Nets might have been better off keeping Russell. D'Lo led them to the playoffs last year at least.

I know Kyrie and KD were sort of package deal but they had a good young core to build on instead of paying half the salary cap to 2 players who have already established their legacies with titles they won elsewhere.
I do not think he is that good of a player, at least a winning player. Boston has been better without him, injured or gone as a FA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose