DJ Humphries Re-Signed

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And I'm not arguing they have no input. I'm saying they have a limited time to be involved in what is a year long process. It even mentions they show up late to the process.

I didn't think you wouldn't read it.
Late to the process because they're busy coaching all season. My buddy put it this way: "they come in and say "what did I miss" and hop in on film with us"

Position coaches certainly have large influence over contracts and drafting. I'll leave it at that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Late to the process because they're busy coaching all season. My buddy put it this way: "they come in and say "what did I miss" and hop in on film with us"

Position coaches certainly have large influence over contracts and drafting. I'll leave it at that.
You're acting like I don't know anyone in the industry myself. Yes, they are busy coaching all season, which is why I am saying they can't possibly have the same influence as a scout who is essentially the gatekeeper of the evaluation process.

It's like when we drafted Rodney Gunter - a scout is the one who drove down a dirt road to work him out in a remote field, not an assistant coach.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
curious to see the contract when its made public

possible its structured so that his cap hit is in the $10mm range this coming year

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're acting like I don't know anyone in the industry myself. Yes, they are busy coaching all season, which is why I am saying they can't possibly have the same influence as a scout who is essentially the gatekeeper of the evaluation process.

It's like when we drafted Rodney Gunter - a scout is the one who drove down a dirt road to work him out in a remote field, not an assistant coach.

LOL

https://hbcugameday.com/2015/05/09/...l-draft-thanks-to-push-from-brentson-buckner/

WRONG.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You literally picked a player that I specifically remember hearing Buckner worked out.

You're flat out wrong in what you are saying. Sure scouts do the preliminary work, but assistant coaches are their for the workouts and the meet and greets and they give input on who they want.

Reaction score

I thought it was Brentson Buckner that did this?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Actually, our "D" line coach went out and worked Gunter out on a scouts recommendation.

Scouts answer to their Director and a direct chain up to Keim.

Position coaches are brought in to the review, grading process, which ends with the Draft board.

It's collaborative.

Don't know why you want to somehow diminish the role of coaches in reaching final grades and the board.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not operating off of "pretty sure this isn't how it works."

I'm operating off of "I know how it works, per direct communication with an NFL scout"

You're dead wrong on coaches dont watch tape and have very little to do with the draft.

It was a turn of phrase. I'm sure position coaches aren't involved. Not in the way your saying.

If they have a prospect visit then sure, the position coach will be involved. They will for sure say what kind of fits they are looking for and maybe they will cast thier eyes over a top 10 list for thier position.

But in regards to scouting players, putting a big board together etc then no they ain't. And frankly it would be a waste of thier time and piss off a load of scouts who put thousands of hours of work in to have some guy that might not be here next year stroll in and say "nah I don't like him" after several scouts and your head of PP have done all the work.

Might coaches throw in opinions or show an interest above the norm? Sure. Like Buckner above. But that's completely outside the process and a GM may or may not pay any attention to it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Actually, our "D" line coach went out and worked Gunter out on a scouts recommendation.

Position coaches are brought in to the review, grading process, which ends with the Draft board.

It's collaborative.

Don't know why you want to somehow diminish the role of coaches in reaching final grades and the board.

Because the concept that Kugler could actually really help the offensive line and in effect, make the Cardinals much better, sooner, hurts his internal narrative that the Cardinals stink and will stink for the next 1000 years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It's collaborative.

This.

Some teams even have assistant coaches in their war room.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a turn of phrase. I'm sure position coaches aren't involved. Not in the way your saying.

If they have a prospect visit then sure, the position coach will be involved. They will for sure say what kind of fits they are looking for and maybe they will cast thier eyes over a top 10 list for thier position.

But in regards to scouting players, putting a big board together etc then no they ain't. And frankly it would be a waste of thier time and piss off a load of scouts who put thousands of hours of work in to have some guy that might not be here next year stroll in and say "nah I don't like him" after several scouts and your head of PP have done all the work.

Position coaches are part of the final review, grading and setting of the 120 board.

This is not a TURF thing.

It's collaborative!

BIM: THEIR

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think your talking about 2 different things.

Are positional coaches involved with scouting, grading, big boards or who we pick? No. Not at all.

Certainly not as I've seen some suggested here along the lines of "If Kugler likes X then draft him"

Are coaches involved in other things like visits, private workouts etc as I explained above then sure. They contribute to the big picture in that way.

But they have no direct control over who we take.

We didn't take Gunter because of Buckner. They took him because Keim and McDonough had already seen something they liked enough to set up a private workout and sent Buckner who confirm their opinion.

The scouting process identified Gunter. Not Buckner.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You literally picked a player that I specifically remember hearing Buckner worked out.

You're flat out wrong in what you are saying. Sure scouts do the preliminary work, but assistant coaches are their for the workouts and the meet and greets and they give input on who they want.
I thought it was Brentson Buckner that did this?

It's collaborative.

Sorry guys, complete mea culpa here. I didn't remember the story correctly.

But I've gone too far down the rabbit hole on this one anyways - all I was trying to say is that I think people were overplaying Kugler's role in the re-signing of Humphries. I won't argue anyone further from here - he is part of the team moving forward.

Again, sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad they were able to get this done as quickly as they did.

Congrats to DJ! Well deserved!

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
To say a position coach will not be involved when it comes to our own FA is absurd I guarantee he was involved at a very high level and scouts weren't involved nearly as much maybe to get input on guys that could possibly replace him.

The draft sure the scouts have big input and I'm sure the assistants have some input but not nearly the input a scout will have end of the day they all have to be on the same page it's all about finding the guys that fit a sheme we are trying to run and if your not getting a position coach involved as a scout you aren't doing a very good job IMO

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They'll draft another OLB.

I think DL, ILB will be the two major adds, hopefully.
When it's our turn to pick, we should look to draft a player who "can take a team on his back" and dominate football games.

If no one available fits that description, we should look to trade down (for more opportunities to "get lucky").

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think your talking about 2 different things.

Are positional coaches involved with scouting, grading, big boards or who we pick? No. Not at all.

Certainly not as I've seen some suggested here along the lines of "If Kugler likes X then draft him"

Are coaches involved in other things like visits, private workouts etc as I explained above then sure. They contribute to the big picture in that way.

But they have no direct control over who we take.

We didn't take Gunter because of Buckner. They took him because Keim and McDonough had already seen something they liked enough to set up a private workout and send Buckner who confirmed thier opinion.

The scouting process identified Gunter. Not Buckner.

Sure ..

And if Kugler after review, workout, etc has serious reservations about 'X" they simply discount his opinion because he and the other position coaches have nothing to do with setting up the big board.

Where did you pick up pick up this BS?

Cue: Solar in support followed by your fawning.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it sure was just a coincidence that his only fully healthy season was in his contract year, 5th-year option.[/QUOTE]Or it's a coincidence that his best season came while being coached by a really good OL coach...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk