DJ Humphries Re-Signed

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What's silly is how you want to move the goal posts by suggesting that others have somehow intimidated that Kugler or another position coach has the final word

He, they, don't - but try to imagine someone receiving a major extension if a respected position coach has serious reservation.

Not only that, but let's say Kugler has no say at all in the situation, I mean nada. My point is still valid about it being about Kugler and the reason I posted it in the first place... he's a damn good coach which makes the signing of Humphries viable because this coach makes everyone on the OL have more value

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What's silly is how you want to move the goal posts by suggesting that others have somehow intimidated that Kugler or another position coach has the final word

He, they, don't - but try to imagine someone receiving a major extension if a respected position coach has serious reservation.
I'm saying the concept that Kugler is "happy," as Slanidrac said, or has been implied in other posts that Kugler would have official say is pushing it. It's Kugler's job to coach to the best of his ability, the players provided. That's not all laid out in this thread, but some threads over the weeks. I'm not implying he had "serious reservation" either. I'm sure Kugler would love to have DJ and the first two picks of the NFL draft be dedicated to OL to improve his unit to the best of their ability. The more tools the better.

HA! you're joking right?. The opinion of the OL coach is most certainly higher on the totem pole than scouts. He is the most professional of OL scouts in the Cardinals organization.

Whats more likely?

scout 1: hey I really like this OT out of Iowa.
Kugler: nah, his feet are poor and its not a technique issue. I cant fix that.
scout 1: ok nevermind.

OR THIS

scout 1: hey I really like this OT out of Iowa.
Kugler: nah, his feet are poor and its not a technique issue. I cant fix that.
scout 1: yes you can and you will. I'm telling Keim this OT is #1 on our board.

Solar have you ever been on a football team?
I have been on a football team, but have you ever been on a team with a scouting department? I'm guessing you're not a former NFL player. Maybe college?

It is the job of the scouts to go out regionally and evaluate thousands of players that our OL coach doesn't have the time to watch all of the film on. During the draft process, that entire room of scouts and coaches will work together to evaluate players surfaced by the scouting department.

It's also not as black and white as yes or no, it's about where these things rank out on the board. If Kugler likes player B's film more than A's, but the scouts and Keim are unanimous in their evaluation of A's talent, Kugler isn't the one who will set the board there.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good signing, IMHO.

The numbers line up to what one would expect.

The obvious fear is injury and regression instead of progression.

Easily one of my favorite personalities on the team so I am happy to see him back. Now I just hope he stays healthy and progresses.

We will see.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm saying the concept that Kugler is "happy," as Slanidrac said, or has been implied in other posts that Kugler would have official say is pushing it. It's Kugler's job to coach to the best of his ability, the players provided. That's not all laid out in this thread, but some threads over the weeks. I'm not implying he had "serious reservation" either. I'm sure Kugler would love to have DJ and the first two picks of the NFL draft be dedicated to OL to improve his unit to the best of their ability. The more tools the better.

I have been on a football team, but have you ever been on a team with a scouting department? I'm guessing you're not a former NFL player. Maybe college?

It is the job of the scouts to go out regionally and evaluate thousands of players that our OL coach doesn't have the time to watch all of the film on. During the draft process, that entire room of scouts and coaches will work together to evaluate players surfaced by the scouting department.

It's also not as black and white as yes or no, it's about where these things rank out on the board. If Kugler likes player B's film more than A's, but the scouts and Keim are unanimous in their evaluation of A's talent, Kugler isn't the one who will set the board there.
I've never been a part of a professional football team or college but I do know that the OL coach is certainly higher on the totem pole, even in strictly player evaluation, than a scout. I played highschool ball with a guy who is now a scout for the 49ers (Fred Gammage). I have intimate knowledge of how this works.

Scouts are very useful for the undrafted types. The OL coach certainly has a higher respected opinion on OL getting drafted in the early rounds. Everyone watches tons of tape on those guys. There's a reason you send the scout to the D3 games.... scouts are your grunts on the ground - or more aptly, in airplanes flying to watch players in tiny towns we'll never hear of.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm unsure why anyone thinks Kugler has more than a passing opinion that might be lightly considered here. Do our WR coaches get any say on what happens there? DL? QB? Not really much.

Even if Kugler said "hey, I don't know that DJ is going to be elite," he's not a professional scout with the ability to say he wants one of the top tackles in the draft. That's for a discussion for Keim and Kingsbury to have about the whole state of the team.

I disagree. I think when they do their season ending grades on the players ( and coaching staff) it would be extremely stupid not only to get your specific coaches opinions but value them.

So if Kugler and his assistants grade a player a “D” do you really think Keim and Kingsbury would Pooh Pooh those opinions? And if they gave a player a B+ they wouldn’t consider that?

I’m not saying the coaching staff is going to demand or even suggest they will influence the draft but certainly their grades would be valued.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome to managing an NFL roster. The biggest motivator for any NFL executive is anxiety. When you have a player at a key position such as QB and LT, who's at the very least league average, there is the inherent fear that you could do worse at the position if you let that league average player enter free agency. For every Humphries, there's a Brandon Keith, D'Anthony Batiste, and a Levi Brown around the corner. Plus, Keim was likely giddy that one of his first-round picks finally merited a second contract that wasn't a one-year vet minimum deal and wanted to get it done to show Mikey B that his drafts weren't a complete dumpster fire.

I'm not a Hump fan by any stretch, but given the circumstances, I can't fault Keim for the contract.

We shouldn't be in that position. Any half decent GM is planning how to move on from Hump after 3 injury plagued seasons. Not putting us in a position where we are locked into an injury prove average at best player at a position that's so expensive.

But then Keim has to keep drafting players to replace previous draft bust. Consecutive 1st round QBs. One 1st round LB to replace another bust LB. Three different centers, none of which have been able to supplant one of the worst centers in the league. A safety to replace a draft pick he cut. And on and on.

Imagine the players we could have if we didn't have to keep replacing busted picks every few years.

Keim put is in this position. You can't say he had little choice when he put us here.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Darren Urban
@Cardschatter

·
55s

Replying to
@Cardschatter
Humphries credited the Cardinals for sticking with him when he struggled earlier in his career. "I knew I wasn't leaving Arizona."

He also said he has a high ceiling for his personal future.
"I genuinely feel like I just figured out how to do it the right way."

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We shouldn't be in that position. Any half decent GM is planning how to move on from Hump after 3 injury plagued seasons. Not putting us in a position where we are locked into an injury prove average at best player at a position that's so expensive.

But then Keim has to keep drafting players to replace previous draft bust. Consecutive 1st round QBs. One 1st round LB to replace another bust LB. Three different centers, none of which have been able to supplant one of the worst centers in the league. A safety to replace a draft pick he cut. And on and on.

Imagine the players we could have if we didn't have to keep replacing busted picks every few years.

Keim put is in this position. You can't say he had little choice when he put us here.

Not going to argue that Keim put the Cards in numerous peculiar situations, especially the QB position. He shouldn't be employed by the organization any longer.

That said, this is the current situation in which the team is in, and there's nothing we can do to change the past, and Mikey isn't firing Keim anytime soon.

At tackle, choices were a) to re-sign a known commodity who doesnt suck, b) to burn our first-round pick replacing him instead of filling another hole, or c) take a flyer on another LT in the open market. Given the choices, I'm happy we opted to choose "a." Now, go get some defenders and a wideout to fill the most obvious voids on the team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never been a part of a professional football team or college but I do know that the OL coach is certainly higher on the totem pole, even in strictly player evaluation, than a scout. I played highschool ball with a guy who is now a scout for the 49ers (Fred Gammage). I have intimate knowledge of how this works.

Scouts are very useful for the undrafted types. The OL coach certainly has a higher respected opinion on OL getting drafted in the early rounds. Everyone watches tons of tape on those guys. There's a reason you send the scout to the D3 games.... scouts are your grunts on the ground - or more aptly, in airplanes flying to watch players in tiny towns we'll never hear of.

Pretty sure this isn't how it works. Position coaches mostly don't attend senior bowl or combine. They don't watch tape. They by and large have very little to do with the draft.

Coaches coach. Scouts scout.

There may come a time where Keim might say, "I like this guy. What do you think?" but by that point that guys been vetted to death and Keim knows the answer.

The reason for this is quite simple. A scout will have spent hours watching that guy, more than one scout, then up the chain where heads do the same, then Keim. Kugler doesn't have that time and 5 or 6 people's opinions override him.

Hell sometimes even HCs aren't involved.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Pretty sure this isn't how it works. Position coaches mostly don't attend senior bowl or combine. They don't watch tape. They by and large have very little to do with the draft.

There may come a time where Keim might say, "I like this guy. What do you think?" but by that point that guys been vetted to death and Keim knows the answer.

The reason for this is quite simple. A scout will have spent hours watching that guy, more than one scout, then up the chain where heads do the same, then Keim. Kugler doesn't have that time and 5 or 6 people's opinions override him.

Exactly. Thanks for the backup here.

Here's a great article on Bleacher Report and one great quote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2631445-how-nfl-teams-really-make-their-draft-picks

"Some teams try to prevent assistant coaches from becoming assistant general managers. In many draft rooms, including the Giants', assistant coaches spend most of draft day in their offices, coming into the draft room only when a pick is approaching or if their expertise is needed.

"We are trying to build a consensus always," Stephen Jones said. "But you can't rely on coaches because they don't do as much work as the scouts. The scouts do all the heavy lifting, and I think it's their job to convince the coaches on how we put up the board and where these guys should fall. At the same time, you don't want to be drafting players who don't fit the coaches' system.""

Of course coaches have input, but also look at the part about Jamison Crowder and more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

All of a sudden we hear that a bomb threat has been called into Cardinals HQ. When police trace where the call came from, we find out that our very own Britcard has taken matters into his own hands.

But seriously, this was a good move. A few million more than I would want to pay, but three years is a good length.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I'm not operating off of "pretty sure this isn't how it works."

I'm operating off of "I know how it works, per direct communication with an NFL scout"

You're dead wrong on coaches dont watch tape and have very little to do with the draft.

Last edited:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly. Thanks for the backup here.

Here's a great article on Bleacher Report and one great quote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2631445-how-nfl-teams-really-make-their-draft-picks

"Some teams try to prevent assistant coaches from becoming assistant general managers. In many draft rooms, including the Giants', assistant coaches spend most of draft day in their offices, coming into the draft room only when a pick is approaching or if their expertise is needed.

"We are trying to build a consensus always," Stephen Jones said. "But you can't rely on coaches because they don't do as much work as the scouts. The scouts do all the heavy lifting, and I think it's their job to convince the coaches on how we put up the board and where these guys should fall. At the same time, you don't want to be drafting players who don't fit the coaches' system.""

Of course coaches have input, but also look at the part about Jamison Crowder and more.
Nice artile, I think the article does a good job of showing how gray/ambiguous the process is from team to team.

Funny option of quotes you pulled from the article. Maybe you didn't think I'd actually read it?

Here's the paragraph above the one you clipped: "Assistant coaches sometimes can show up late to the evaluation party and make it their own. In particular, offensive line coaches and quarterbacks coaches are known for consulting with peers and developing a groupthink about prospects that can become a powerful force in draft rooms across the league."

Look, scouts have their value but coaches pretty much assimilate into the scouting department during the period between the season and the draft.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Nice artile, I think the article does a good job of showing how gray/ambiguous the process is from team to team.

Funny option of quotes you pulled from the article. Maybe you didn't think I'd actually read it?

Here's the paragraph above the one you clipped: "Assistant coaches sometimes can show up late to the evaluation party and make it their own. In particular, offensive line coaches and quarterbacks coaches are known for consulting with peers and developing a groupthink about prospects that can become a powerful force in draft rooms across the league."

Look, scouts have their value but coaches pretty much assimilate into the scouting department during the period between the season and the draft.
And I'm not arguing they have no input. I'm saying they have a limited time to be involved in what is a year long process. It even mentions they show up late to the process.

I didn't think you wouldn't read it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave