OT: Cannabis is coming

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people that have used it and say it has helped. It certainly does no harm to try.

CBD is the latest Panacea to come out of the "All Natural" products line. It's making a bunch of people rich off of unproven claims. I'm sure Frank Thomas will be all over the TV soon selling CBD products.

However to say "it does no harm to try" is false. This product is unregulated by the FDA. It is unknown if CBD causes adverse reactions when used while taking other drugs for instance. Also the only FDA approved form of CBD is an epileptic drug. However if if too much if this drug is taken it can severely damage the liver. So there is evidence of a potential harm if too much is taken.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CBD is the latest Panacea to come out of the "All Natural" products line. It's making a bunch of people rich off of unproven claims. I'm sure Frank Thomas will be all over the TV soon selling CBD products.

However to say "it does no harm to try" is false. This product is unregulated by the FDA. It is unknown if CBD causes adverse reactions when used while taking other drugs for instance. Also the only FDA approved form of CBD is an epileptic drug. However if if too much if this drug is taken it can severely damage the liver. So there is evidence of a potential harm if too much is taken.

Thats why you dont buy CBD from circle K.

Also, I would be interested to see these studies of people taking too much CBD and having negative effects. It's news to me.

Beyond that, saying it is dangerous if you take too much goes for everything. Too much CBD might cause an unwanted side effect but too much ibuprofen or tylenol will kill you.

So, these blanket statements seem to be rather incorrect and fear based vs rooted in reality.

trying small doses of CBD to check if they help with some health issues is not an issue for people to do. It is no different than taking tylenol for the pains....hell, it is safer. period.

We're talking about a natural drug that has been used for ages and ages, has never caused a death before and has minimal side effects. this isnt a narcotic or some lab created drug. On top of that, without THC involvement, the only risk is allergy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to not have it be federally legal, and ridiculous to subject players to testing for it.

Let's be honest, smoking pot has been a regular and culturally accepted thing for at least half a century. Stop this ridiculous charade.

What is even more ridiculous is that it is classified as a Level 1 controlled substance, like crack cocaine. That is why such stiff penalties have been enforced for decades.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also the tired old argument that marijuana leads to use of other illegal drugs. I've never seen any evidence of it. Perhaps people draw the connection because those who use more serious drugs have usually used marijuana as well. Of course they have used milk and water too.

The drug I fear most is alcohol because there is a connection to drinking and driving and traffic deaths.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's estimated that 80% of players in the league use some form of Cannabis. Most teams are also located in states where Medical Marijuana is legal, so it only makes sense for the NFL to adapt to the world around them.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There is also the tired old argument that marijuana leads to use of other illegal drugs. I've never seen any evidence of it. Perhaps people draw the connection because those who use more serious drugs have usually used marijuana as well. Of course they have used milk and water too.

The drug I fear most is alcohol because there is a connection to drinking and driving and traffic deaths.

I’ve seen a lot of examples of it personally but that shouldn’t make it illegal or mean that it’s anywhere close to as toxic as alcohol. At the end of the day people need to make better individual decisions (talking to my younger self).

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I haven't smoked pot in over 40 years. But, I am seriously considering looking into the medical marijuana products due to my health issues. I am 66 years old and have a trashed lower spine, arthritis in my joints and constant pain in various locations in my body. Ibuprofen and lidocaine patches help but I would like a more natural and, hopefully, less damaging remedy.

I know people who swear by it and people that find little relief. I appreciate the comments about proper dosage and experimenting with what works for the individual.

Unfortunately, I am on a rather fixed income and don't know if I can afford it or not. Something I will have to research.

On the legalization issue, I think it is long past time that it was decriminalized totally. No regulation, no government oversight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of examples of it personally but that shouldn’t make it illegal or mean that it’s anywhere close to as toxic as alcohol. At the end of the day people need to make better individual decisions (talking to my younger self).

I'm talking about the lack of a direct causal relationship where people who use marijuana causes them to abuse other drugs as well. I don't think this is the case. This is more of an addiction problem where some move along a ladder of abuse: pills, alcohol, marijuana and more serious drugs. I don't think marijuana causes them to get there.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dated someone over the summer who really wanted me to try and it has changed my life. I feel 10 years younger and my performance at work has improved greatly. I take CBD (25mg) every morning now and then a 2:1 (50mg CBD, 25mg THC) about 90 minutes before bedtime and I my sleep is amazing with zero handover effect. I wish it had become legal years earlier here in Oregon. I don't smoke it, just edibles. I also don't drink or do anything else, so becoming a regular user is not something I thought would ever happen.

https://gronchocolate.com/ <- My favorite!!
You should try products from East Fork cultivators. They are the best CBD cultivators in the state.

I am actually a partner in a cannabis company in Oregon, and I was very surprised when I found out the names of some of the athletes who use our products. Cannabis is here to stay. The league just needs to accept it and focus on bigger issues like DV and such.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't smoked pot in over 40 years. But, I am seriously considering looking into the medical marijuana products due to my health issues. I am 66 years old and have a trashed lower spine, arthritis in my joints and constant pain in various locations in my body. Ibuprofen and lidocaine patches help but I would like a more natural and, hopefully, less damaging remedy.

I know people who swear by it and people that find little relief. I appreciate the comments about proper dosage and experimenting with what works for the individual.

Unfortunately, I am on a rather fixed income and don't know if I can afford it or not. Something I will have to research.

On the legalization issue, I think it is long past time that it was decriminalized totally. No regulation, no government oversight.

start with CBD only. It is less expensive and available over the counter. If the pain persists, getting a card and getting something one part thc 3 parts CBD may be better for you.

Reactions: TRW

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the problem with this stuff is that pot is in your system for 30 days. it doesnt mean youre high while driving.

Also, the influx of high while driving is a real issue when you legalize but it should level out over time.

I dont know of anyone who advocates for driving high. Any substance you take should not be before driving, even prescriptions.

and fully, vicodin is much more impactful to driving than marijuana wh en you are a regular user.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if a person tests positive for marijuana proves they are impaired. It stays in the system for weeks.

The bottom line is people who are impaired shouldn't drive.

Determining who is impaired or degree of impairment can be a slippery slope. Lots of things can cause impairment. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Some of the worse driving I have seen is by those using cell phones or other distractions. Lack of sleep is another one. Medication can be another one and so forth. My guess most people are impaired to some degree and don't even know it.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
start with CBD only. It is less expensive and available over the counter. If the pain persists, getting a card and getting something one part thc 3 parts CBD may be better for you.

Thanks. I'll be considering it.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you guys really think weed, will prop these guys back up for the second half, the way Toradol and Marcaine does, I honestly want to know what strain you're talking about...Cause I've tried a few for chronic shoulder pain, and it didn't do jack.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys really think weed, will prop these guys back up for the second half, the way Toradol and Marcaine does, I honestly want to know what strain you're talking about...Cause I've tried a few for chronic shoulder pain, and it didn't do jack.

It is more so for rehab and comfort during the week, not to go play with an injury.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm not sure if a person tests positive for marijuana proves they are impaired. It stays in the system for weeks.

The bottom line is people who are impaired shouldn't drive.

Determining who is impaired or degree of impairment can be a slippery slope. Lots of things can cause impairment. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Some of the worse driving I have seen is by those using cell phones or other distractions. Lack of sleep is another one. Medication can be another one and so forth. My guess most people are impaired to some degree and don't even know it.

100% agree.

Yet, the crap that pharma companies sell and the law of land allows people to drive a car while on is way worse. WAY worse.

When the money is there, and it is, solutions will come up to solve this issue.

If we really want to talk car safety, then phones should be put into a case before you can start a car and drive. Here in Philly there are at least 5 accidents a day with a person driving into the back of another car.

It happened to me recently, and I watch the person as she looked up from her phone, too late unfortunately.

Be careful out there everyone, the road is a dangerous place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA