DJ Humphries Re-Signed

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree, I was just going to post something similar on Kugler when I saw yours. He is one of the best OL coaches the Cards have had in a long time. The OL continued to improve throughout the season.
also going to piggy back on Kugler. so far he's the MVP of our assistants

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This signing is about Kugler and the attitude and tutelage which he has brought to the OL... he's the guy which really deserves a quick raise so nobody takes him :raccoon:
For everyone unhappy with the Humphries signing keep in mind. Ultimately it was Keim’s decision. But bottom line is this staff and Kugler had to have some input and desire to have him in the fold.

if Kuglers happy, I’m happy.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
anybody know what % of the cap he will consume over those 3 years?

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
Humphries is a much better player than when he first came into the league and was in Bruce Arians doghouse. The Cards have invested a lot of time in him. At age 26, if he continues to develop, he will be well worth the investment at a position that is hard to fill.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Good contract for both parties. Humphries got a nice guaranteed sum and we don't need to totally overhaul the OL. This fact alone will help KM most importantly. Don't discount the trust factor between QB and LT as well.

It's a little bit of a prove-it deal, if you want so, for Humphries. He is still young and once his contract is up, or at least the guaranteed part of it, he will enter the prime age for a LT. If he indeed lives up to his potential and continues to be durable like last year, we shouldn't let him walk. No decent LT ever hits FA. Not even semi-decent ones. Veldher was the last one when Keim jumped on him and he was considered average at best and was older than Humphries.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah I was always expecting it. They been saying for months they wanted to resign him and it's exactly the money being thrown around.

It's a garbage deal but I'll just sit back now and wait for him to hit IR / be trash so I can say "I told you".

The twitter comments sum it up which are along the lines of "We can get out in two years". When you sign your LT to a fat deal and the first thought is how you can get out of it that tells you everything.

Wanting to be the one I told you so is interesting.

Also, you should expect that behavior on Twitter. It is Twitter after all.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
For everyone unhappy with the Humphries signing keep in mind. Ultimately it was Keim’s decision. But bottom line is this staff and Kugler had to have some input and desire to have him in the fold.

if Kuglers happy, I’m happy.
I'm unsure why anyone thinks Kugler has more than a passing opinion that might be lightly considered here. Do our WR coaches get any say on what happens there? DL? QB? Not really much.

Even if Kugler said "hey, I don't know that DJ is going to be elite," he's not a professional scout with the ability to say he wants one of the top tackles in the draft. That's for a discussion for Keim and Kingsbury to have about the whole state of the team.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The cap percentage is reasonable. But it stings paying the Germain Ifedi of left tackles that much money.
Welcome to managing an NFL roster. The biggest motivator for any NFL executive is anxiety. When you have a player at a key position such as QB and LT, who's at the very least league average, there is the inherent fear that you could do worse at the position if you let that league average player enter free agency. For every Humphries, there's a Brandon Keith, D'Anthony Batiste, and a Levi Brown around the corner. Plus, Keim was likely giddy that one of his first-round picks finally merited a second contract that wasn't a one-year vet minimum deal and wanted to get it done to show Mikey B that his drafts weren't a complete dumpster fire.

I'm not a Hump fan by any stretch, but given the circumstances, I can't fault Keim for the contract.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm unsure why anyone thinks Kugler has more than a passing opinion that might be lightly considered here. Do our WR coaches get any say on what happens there? DL? QB? Not really much.

Even if Kugler said "hey, I don't know that DJ is going to be elite," he's not a professional scout with the ability to say he wants one of the top tackles in the draft. That's for a discussion for Keim and Kingsbury to have about the whole state of the team.

Wrong, he has ton of experience as a coach
He certainly knows better then anyone if a player has the potential and the attitude to get better
Surely he said his thought about him

I know criticize keim is pretty common and he made many mistakes but he is not totally clueless, in the decisions he takes I'm sure the coaching staff is involved in the process

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

An 0-line Coach whose opinion on those under his charge is viewed as "passing' is s guy, if self-respecting, looking for a team that sees his professional view as critical. And, of course, he's asked to review tape of perspective choices in a draft.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Wanting to be the one I told you so is interesting.

Also, you should expect that behavior on Twitter. It is Twitter after all.

LOL I hate that here. I'm sure I'm guilty of doing this in the past, but I've been more mindful. What's most irritating is the poster(s) who seemingly has a ledger of how another poster felt a player or coach would perform.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wrong, he has ton of experience as a coach
He certainly knows better then anyone if a player has the potential and the attitude to get better as a player
Surely he said his thought about him

I know criticize keim is pretty common and he made many mistakes but he is not totally clueless, in the decisions he takes I'm sure the coaching staff is involved in the process
An 0-line Coach whose opinion on those under his charge is viewed as "passing' is s guy, if self-respecting, looking for a team that sees his professional view as critical. And, of course, he's asked to review tape of perspective choices in a draft.
I'm not saying he has absolutely no say, but thinking re-signing players only comes with the sign off of their assistant coach is silly, especially with how often assistants come and go.

Point me to an article or quote where KK, SK, or MB say, we're really leaning on Sean Kugler (or any assistant coach) to help us make these decisions, or even "Kugler told us what a special player he thinks DJ can be," and I'll acquiesce.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They'll draft another OLB.

I think DL, ILB will be the two major adds, hopefully.
Are you saying we're going to address DL/ILB in FA, count on Reddick to start at OLB, AND that we're going to take one in the second round? I'm just not sure if I'm reading this right.

Or that DL, ILB, and OLB should be addressed in the first three rounds?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's silly is how you want to move the goal posts by suggesting that others have somehow intimidated that Kugler or another position coach has the final word

He, they, don't - but try to imagine someone receiving a major extension if a respected position coach has serious reservation.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

you're joking right?. The opinion of the OL coach is most certainly higher on the totem pole than scouts. He is the most professional of OL scouts in the Cardinals organization.

Whats more likely?

scout 1: hey I really like this OT out of Iowa.
Kugler: nah, his feet are poor and its not a technique issue. I cant fix that.
scout 1: ok nevermind.

OR THIS

scout 1: hey I really like this OT out of Iowa.
Kugler: nah, his feet are poor and its not a technique issue. I cant fix that.
scout 1: yes you can and you will. I'm telling Keim this OT is #1 on our board.

Last edited: