Humphries signed, tag still available

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One domino has fallen. Who do we tag, if anyone? Franchise or transition tag?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
honestly glad we aren't likely to franchise tag anyone. However, the transition tag is certainly still in play and I bet that's Keims route.

Drake certainly isnt worth top 5 RB money but I think he'd be good value in the 4-7 mil range (preferably closer to 4).

What would you guys pay for Drake? Solar7 has set the floor by saying he's not worth 1-2 mil per year, which puts him among fullbacks and back ups. Any poster care to set the ceiling?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also, what if Keim were to publicly declare we're going to transition tag Drake? would that keep the market on him lower? or could we get caught playing a game of chicken with another franchise?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Also, what if Keim were to publicly declare we're going to transition tag Drake? would that keep the market on him lower? or could we get caught playing a game of chicken with another franchise?

https://www.12up.com/posts/6287675-nfl-transition-tag-explained
Like the franchise tag, the transition tag also is a one-year contract, fully guaranteed. In this case, it's the average of the top-10 highest paid players at the tagged player's position, or 120 percent of what the player made the previous year.

Transition tag will pay him north of 8mm next year. Even if Devonte Freeman & Jerrick McKinnon are cut (both currently in the top 10), he's still roughly around 8.5mm.

And that's before what Henry may get in free agency.

Dion Lewis, Duke Johnson, Mark Ingram, & Lamar Miller are all in the 5mm per year range.

My guess is that we wont transition him and that he will become a 5 to 6mm per year guy. Either by us or by someone else.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Transition tag will pay him north of 8mm next year. Even if Devonte Freeman & Jerrick McKinnon are cut (both currently in the top 10), he's still roughly around 8.5mm.

Dion Lewis, Duke Johnson, Mark Ingram, & Lamar Miller are all in the 5mm per year range.

My guess is that we wont transition him and that he will become a 5 to 6mm per year guy. Either by us or by someone else.
Looks like I didnt fully understand transition tag. I originally thought it just gave us the right to match other offers.

Ok under the following scenario do I have this right?

We transition tag him and his contract his set at average of top 10 salary at that position.

Other teams can make offers over and above that and we have the right to match.

Lets say no other team makes an offer for him at 8.5 million. We're stuck paying him that and Drake is a Cardinal.

So theoretically if we transition tag him, at best he's ours for 8.5. At worst we match an offer greater than that (which would be dumb and so would 8.5 mill).

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Running back tag is around 12mil, right? Not worth for drake, hope they find a reasonable number for him

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If I was the GM, my best offer would be 6 million & no more. Unless of course they can restructure DJ's contact, then I could see maybe 7? Still too much money to spend on 2 RB's, considering we still have CE on a rookie deal.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
honestly glad we aren't likely to franchise tag anyone. However, the transition tag is certainly still in play and I bet that's Keims route.

Drake certainly isnt worth top 5 RB money but I think he'd be good value in the 4-7 mil range (preferably closer to 4).

What would you guys pay for Drake? Solar7 has set the floor by saying he's not worth 1-2 mil per year, which puts him among fullbacks and back ups. Any poster care to set the ceiling?
It's silly to hold me to the 1-2 million number. My point is that he's not very good and is not anything more than a complementary back.

I really pretty much only want him at backup or very low tier starter numbers. And even then I don't really want him. Having him prevents us from drafting someone who could emerge as a true threat in the future. Plus, it prevents us from signing another player where we literally have no other options.

While it's not perfect, we can get by with Edmonds and DJ.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's silly to hold me to the 1-2 million number. My point is that he's not very good and is not anything more than a complementary back.

I really pretty much only want him at backup or very low tier starter numbers. And even then I don't really want him. Having him prevents us from drafting someone who could emerge as a true threat in the future. Plus, it prevents us from signing another player where we literally have no other options.

ok so you were exaggerating to make a point. Would you bite at 5 mill? I think Drake is a true threat in the future

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Running back tag is around 12mil, right? Not worth for drake, hope they find a reasonable number for him
Franchise tag would put him 11-12 mill.

transition tag would put him at about 8.5 mill, if I'm interpreting transition tag correctly now. I originally thought transition tag ensures we have the chance to match any offer but apparently thats not the case.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
ok so you were exaggerating to make a point. Would you bite at 5 mill? I think Drake is a true threat in the future
I really wouldn't want to. I wouldn't riot if we did, but I really don't think he is going to perform like a good starting RB. But that's at least not breaking the bank.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

5-6m is very reasonable for both parties. Drake doesnt have the resume to warrant more right now.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really wouldn't want to. I wouldn't riot if we did, but I really don't think he is going to perform like a good starting RB. But that's at least not breaking the bank.
ok thats fair. I too am suspicious he may have outperformed what his average would be in this system going forward.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Franchise tag would put him 11-12 mill.

transition tag would put him at about 8.5 mill, if I'm interpreting transition tag correctly now. I originally thought transition tag ensures we have the chance to match any offer but apparently thats not the case.
would the franchise tag net us a draft pick if another team matches/signs him?

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ah yea, that's what i meant. 8.5 is prob still to high, not sure another team would even bite at that
nobody should even think about drake for 8.5 but it might happen. 4-6 mill and I'd love for him to be a cardinal

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
would the franchise tag net us a draft pick if another team matches/signs him?
The Franchise Tag requires two #1 draft picks are sent to the other team as compensation, unless another deal is worked out by both parties.

Transition includes no compensation, but the ability to match.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Franchise Tag requires two #1 draft picks are sent to the other team as compensation, unless another deal is worked out by both parties.

Transition includes no compensation, but the ability to match.
this poo is confusing. after some reading compensation only occurs in the scenario of an Unrestricted Franchise Tag being applied to a player and another team outbids you for their services.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Silly to hold you to it. Sillier to even state it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Silly to hold you to it. Sillier to even state it.
If you don't really want a player, why say you'll commit anything major to him?

It's almost like asking if I want to bring back AQ Shipley at a good price. I don't. I don't think he is very good. But it's not like he's entirely incapable of playing in the NFL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA