This is a difficult draft

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I say this not because there is a dearth of talent but because there will be a lot of talent on board when we pick of what some will turn out to be very good players but also some realistic Pro Bowlers and you want one of those. I like Derrick Brown but I still find it hard to pick him if I see Okudah there when we draft because a potential shutdown corner is never without worth. I really think the Cards have their eye on Jeudy or Lamb but if you are picking the best player and with such need to improve across the roster, Okudah wrecks my choice every time he's sitting in front of me in a mock draft. I get the combination of consideration of best player and need but not in the top ten where you go for a difference maker... we have our QB, and quality backs can be found in later rounds and quality guards too

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, these mock simulations are hardly ever accurate but if there is a made run and trade for QBs... watch out

U know I see Simmons being a combine superstar and selected second overall

Young can slide in the third spot

New York can go with an offensive linemen or a WR to help Jones development

Miami will draft a qb and San Diego very likeky

So the Panthers can target Okudah

Small chances for us but never say never

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, these mock simulations are hardly ever accurate but if there is a made run and trade for QBs... watch out

Lions are apparently shopping Slay which only strengthens the Okudah talk. There are several teams in need of CB in front of us. Would take a miracle for him to get to 8.

If we take Lamb than Jeudy will be better, or vice versa. If we take Simmons then Brown will be better, or vice versa.

That's how much faith I have in Keim and our scout department.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lions are apparently shopping Slay which only strengthens the Okudah talk. There are several teams in need of CB in front of us. Would take a miracle for him to get to 8.

If we take Lamb than Jeudy will be better, or vice versa. If we take Simmons then Brown will be better, or vice versa.

That's how much faith I have in Keim and our scout department.

Do u suffer from @Solar7 's syndrome?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do u suffer from @Solar7 's syndrome?

No I'm suffering "I've lived through everyone of Steve Keim's drafts" syndrome and they all generally suck huge balls.

DJ is what? The 3rd guy ever signed to a 2nd contract and the only 1st rounder? 4th I guess if you count Gunter who couldn't find another team.

Experience says whatever way we go it will prove to be the wrong way.

Hell I'm just looking at our 2017 draft, we took 7 players and only one is left on the roster and that's Reddick. Our whole '17 draft is a washout after only 3 seasons.

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say this not because there is a dearth of talent but because there will be a lot of talent on board when we pick of what some will turn out to be very good players but also some realistic Pro Bowlers and you want one of those. I like Derrick Brown but I still find it hard to pick him if I see Okudah there when we draft because a potential shutdown corner is never without worth. I really think the Cards have their eye on Jeudy or Lamb but if you are picking the best player and with such need to improve across the roster, Okudah wrecks my choice every time he's sitting in front of me in a mock draft. I get the combination of consideration of best player and need but not in the top ten where you go for a difference maker... we have our QB, and quality backs can be found in later rounds and quality guards too
I’ll help you out a little. You needn’t worry about Okudah or Brown because they will both be gone before we pick.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
I think Okudah will be the 2nd non QB picked (at worst 3rd) so even if, best case scenario, everyone goes QB mad and 4 go early we will still miss him.

I do think there is a chance to get Brown if everything goes right.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There will be some very good players at #8. I would prefer them not to go OL as IMO we could get a decent RT in round 2. I think (one of) Derrick Brown, Isiah Simmons, Jerry Jeudy, or CeeDee Lamb could be avaialbe. I would be happy with any of them. I think 3 QBs and Young will be gone before we pick after that it is a crap shoot even Okudah could be there.:shrug:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might make it easier. Don’t look at filling a need for 2020. Look at what it means for the 2021 season. Only a handful of players have a great impact in their rookie season but how does the guy you draft this year impact next year?

o-line. Pugh will be another year older. Sweeney will be a free agent. Maybe not at #8 but maybe with #40.

WR. This is one position that can have an impact in year one. It’s a need. Will Larry be back in 2021 and even if he does return he will be a year older. Lamb or Juedy would( should)fill they void for years to come.

LB. A combo of Hicks and Simmons would appear to fill a void for more than a few years without spending an outrageous amount of money for a linebacking corp.

D-line. More than likely this part of the team will be shored up a bit through free agency. But Peters is 100 years old and there is such a dearth of talent that a guy like Brown makes total sense.

CB. There is no way in hell you pass on Okudah. Even if we extend Peterson he will be 30/31. It would probably mean Alford would be gone in 2021 and maybe this year depending on cap implications. But don’t worry, Okudah will be long gone.

Humphries is now signed which makes it appear an OT at #8 will not happen. Many have claimed Brown is not Q Williams. Is Simmons a true LB?

To me everything seems to point to wr or a trade down.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ranges:

Burrow - 1
Young - 2-3
Okudah - 2 to 5
Brown - 4 to 12
Simmons - 3 to 9
Tua - 1 to 5
Herbert - 5 to 12
Thomas & Wills - 4 to 12
Becton & Wirfs - 8 to 15
Jeudy & Lamb - 8 to 12
Kinlaw - 7 to 15

That's my take.
Right on. The only thing that might change things is if somebody goes crazy at the combine.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Right on. The only thing that might change things is if somebody goes crazy at the combine.
Best bets to go crazy IMO: Simmons, Kinlaw, Young, & Herbert if he throws. Herbert looks like a Greek god in workouts.

Not many people can creep in to that top 14 IMO. Maybe Ruggs, Epenessa, Delpit or Chaisson.

Chaisson is a beast, and Ruggs could go sub 4.26.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best bets to go crazy IMO: Simmons, Kinlaw, Young, & Herbert if he throws. Herbert looks like a Greek god in workouts.

Not many people can creep in to that top 14 IMO. Maybe Ruggs, Epenessa, Delpit or Chaisson.

Chaisson is a beast, and Ruggs could go sub 4.26.

If Al Davis was still alive, Ruggs would be drafted by the Raiders @ #12. Who knows maybe he still will be.:)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get what you're saying. CB's are hard to find. But is Okudah a can't miss prospect? Obviously he's the best CB in this draft but it's a crapshoot on any player selected as to whether they pan out or not. PP isn't going to play forever & eventually will need to be replaced so drafting Okudah sounds like a solid choice, doubt he falls to #8 though? I'm pumped about the draft but scared also. No matter who we pick, are they gonna play up to their billing? Keim doesn't have a good track record of getting picks right. Gotta pick someone at #8 so Okudah has as good of a chance at making it as any other I suppose? With all the QB's possibly being selected, we will have options at #8, will Keim draft the right guy is the million dollar question?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be a difficult draft
Basically we are going to draft the twenty fifth best prospect considering 3qb will be chosen before our pick

Fixed that for you. Remember who is drafting.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Brown, Simmons or Okudah should be available. One of them should be our pick. True blue chip prospects. If all 3 are gone, take the best OT available or trade down to still pick a very good OT or WR.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No I'm suffering "I've lived through everyone of Steve Keim's drafts" syndrome and they all generally suck huge balls.

DJ is what? The 3rd guy ever signed to a 2nd contract and the only 1st rounder? 4th I guess if you count Gunter who couldn't find another team.

Experience says whatever way we go it will prove to be the wrong way.

Hell I'm just looking at our 2017 draft, we took 7 players and only one is left on the roster and that's Reddick. Our whole '17 draft is a washout after only 3 seasons.
Welcome to having "my" syndrome. It's a syndrome of saying "well, history shows X, so I'm going to keep believing X until given a reason not to."

That's made people really hate me for the past year or so.