All Star Game 2020

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean block but it was off the glass. :D

I thought so but the more I watched it, the less sure I was. I'm quite surprised though that they felt sure enough to overturn the original block call. But I wouldn't have considered the original call a bad one no matter which way it went - it was that close.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Book's showing some nerves. 3 bad turnovers and a missed layup.
That was probably the case. But Book has had a tendency to turn the ball over too often during the season.

He also went 0-for-3 in 3-point shots (and has missed too many during the season). But during the 3-point
contest, he almost won it, which seems inconsistent. Until you consider that there is, of course, a difference
in shooting and passing when being guarded.

During the season, he is double-teamed because he is the Suns alpha. In the All Star game, he went up against
the best of the best.

All I'm saying is that Devin is our best player, but he needs to develop further in his quest to be a superstar.

With his strong desire, I think he can and will. But it is only fair to expect it to take time.

Especially on a poorly structured team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I will admit it. I haven't watched an all-star game in more than 20 years. Watched this. I think I am ready to go another 20 years. I like basketball. This was not real basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I will admit it. I haven't watched an all-star game in more than 20 years. Watched this. I think I am ready to go another 20 years. I like basketball. This was not real basketball.

I love watching basketball too and like you, I gave up on the All Star game many years ago. The turning point for me was the year that Magic Johnson returned to the All Star game for the last time and was awarded MVP (92). He is easily my favorite non-Phoenix player ever but that game was a farce and ruined the event for me then and for the years to come.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Is no one going to mention the best part of the game? The national anthem before tip off had me dying ha

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I like the commercial free 4th quarter also. That is something they should do every year. With how sponsored these events are, it shouldn't be an issue to present a quarter commercial free. They probably could have done a half but whatever, I'll take what I can get in that regard. I can't stand commercials.
I always DVR and never watch commercials.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This box score is all kinds of wrong on the minutes played...

I thought it was off but didn't really examine it. The minutes are way off though. There were 36 minutes played so the total should be 180 but they have 240 listed, like a full 48 minute game.

The Suns twitter sent this out after the game, which is the main thing I wanted to see...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought so but the more I watched it, the less sure I was. I'm quite surprised though that they felt sure enough to overturn the original block call. But I wouldn't have considered the original call a bad one no matter which way it went - it was that close.

I don't think there was enough to overturn the original call. IMO, at a couple of angles it looked like the ball touched the glass first.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all those who didn't see the controversial call or want to look at it again, here is a replay of Giannis swatting Lebron's shot away at the basket.

I still think it was goal tending not that it matters much. The last two views especially the top view (looking down) was very persuasive.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

The 4th quarter was fun to watch. That was real basketball. The guys were playing hard the whole quarter. Best AS game I have ever watched.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all those who didn't see the controversial call or want to look at it again, here is a replay of Giannis swatting Lebron's shot away at the basket.

I still think it was goal tending not that it matters much. The last two views especially the top view (looking down) was very persuasive.

The angle of the ball is weird and it looks like it would be a missed layup. Perhaps it hit the glass first but it also looks like Lebron tried putting the ball on the side of the rim to get a goaltending call. He knew Giannis was there and was getting to the ball. Like @Dback Jon said, they're all superstars so no one got superstar calls. If that happens in a regular season game and it's Mikal instead of Giannis, that's called a goaltend every time. It was so close that it could have gone either way but I think they made the right call, clean block.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The angle of the ball is weird and it looks like it would be a missed layup. Perhaps it hit the glass first but it also looks like Lebron tried putting the ball on the side of the rim to get a goaltending call. He knew Giannis was there and was getting to the ball. Like @Dback Jon said, they're all superstars so no one got superstar calls. If that happens in a regular season game and it's Mikal instead of Giannis, that's called a goaltend every time. It was so close that it could have gone either way but I think they made the right call, clean block.

I think the original call was goal tending. Personally I didn't see the evidence to overturn it. My guess is the referees didn't want to be a difference maker in the game.

You are right, I doubt Mikal gets the benefit of the overturned call or even gets the benefit of the review without a challenge.