The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interesting to see how he holds up over time with that body but Zion is absolutely making a difference for the Pelicans now. 5-4 in the games he's played including losses to Milwaukee, Houston and Denver, the team is averaging over 120 PPG since he got in the lineup. Defense still a work in progress they're -1.5 BPM defensively but he makes their offense better and he's not even playing starters minutes yet and still shaking the rust off. First game went 4-4 on threes, I posted he won't do that again, he's 0-6 since then in the last 8 games, but again he's only taken 6 in 8 games, he's smart enough to know that 4-4 was a fluke.

58% from the floor and I think that's going up he's starting to figure things out , even at this level he can just physically move defenders with a bump and finish over them.

Pretty interesting team, you can argue that maybe it would better they don't make the playoffs and do well in the lottery. They have their own pick, they get the Cavs pick if not in the top 10. 2020 is not a great draft but if they can add another piece or 2 or use pieces to get something in return they could be interesting.

Zion is a star if he can stay healthy, Ingram is very good. Of course the problem is Jrue probably doesn't intend to stay longterm, has 2 years left, and I doubt Redick intends to stay long term either but if they were all back next year healthy it's suddenly an intriguing team. Small team, if Jaxson Hayes continues to develop he could be the 5, right now they play lots of 3 and even 4 guards.
If Hayes develops they become a big team with Hayes, Ingram and Zion front line. And ball is a big point.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are but didn't Garnett have a falling out with them a few years ago that has since turned pretty nasty on his side?

Hrmm. I am just getting caught up on all that. I knew when he left for Boston the owner trashed Garnett a bit, but I figured with KG returning there as a fossil to finish his career that things must have been patched up.

Reading up on this, wow. I knew they were poorly ran but I didn't know the extent of the drama their owner gets involved in vs his own players.

And good lord, I didn't know Scott Layden was their GM. That explains a lot. He laid the groundwork for the 20 year dumpster fire in New York. I cannot believe he got another GM job.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hrmm. I am just getting caught up on all that. I knew when he left for Boston the owner trashed Garnett a bit, but I figured with KG returning there as a fossil to finish his career that things must have been patched up.

Reading up on this, wow. I knew they were poorly ran but I didn't know the extent of the drama their owner gets involved in vs his own players.

And good lord, I didn't know Scott Layden was their GM. That explains a lot. He laid the groundwork for the 20 year dumpster fire in New York. I cannot believe he got another GM job.

Yeah, I read a lot about it at one time and it's why I've always argued against Sarver being the worst. There are a couple of bad owners in his class such as the guy in Cleveland but IMO Dolan and Taylor stand alone as the worst NBA owners (now that Sterling is out).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
True or False

In 2030 players will be allowed to take 4 steps after they pick up their dribble.

It used to be a half step, then a full step, then Euro step, then 2 full steps, now 3 steps is often not called and don’t even get me started about the step back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we have the fourth worst ownership. Perspective does nothing there.

I think we have two owners that are definites and one probable that are much worse than Sarver. Beyond that, I just don't know enough about all the others to judge. So, I'd say Robert is in the running for the 4th worst NBA owner but there are several others that might be his equal or worse (Vivek Ranadive comes to mind). Considering how often this board is decorated with "Sarver is the worst owner ever" type claims, I understand Pbit's intent when he offered up a little perspective. And I know from past posts that he's nowhere close to being a Sarver supporter, I don't think anyone here is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose