All Star Weekend 2020

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
When it’s an aesthetics thing it seems silly that the dude who clearly had the best collection of dunks on a given night doesn’t win. It’s that simple to me. With the head-to-head you could have one finalist who had five 50s through all rounds and ends up with a final 49 lose to a guy who was second beat with four 47s but had two 50s in the final round. Who had the better night? Dunking is about entertaining. Who was more entertaining?
Then why even have rounds? Just go out and do a bunch of dunks. The guy with the best night wins

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look it’s cool that he wants to honor them, but I gotta say as a suns fan after so many years of no representation in the all star game, this is disappointing not to see our colors.

The Lakers name across the front could have especially been left off.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When it’s an aesthetics thing it seems silly that the dude who clearly had the best collection of dunks on a given night doesn’t win. It’s that simple to me. With the head-to-head you could have one finalist who had five 50s through all rounds and ends up with a final 49 lose to a guy who was second beat with four 47s but had two 50s in the final round. Who had the better night? Dunking is about entertaining. Who was more entertaining?

That is basically what happened last night. Aaron Gordon had 4 50's, 2 in the 1st round and then 2 more in the 2nd. Derrick Jones Jr had 2 in the 2nd round but he scored 95 in his first round on his 2 dunks. I'm not sure what each dunk of his scored in the 1st round but Aaron Gordon had a perfect score up until the final dunk, which should have been another 50.

Maybe keep it like it is but use the cumulative score as the tie breaker. That would have given Gordon the win but he deserved it. Both competitors scored 50's on their 2 dunks in the 2nd round. So how do you break that tie? Apparently there wasn't a clear rule for that. The commentators brought up how Gordon had 4 50's at that point and shouldn't have needed to dunk again, it was is win. I agree with that logic, especially in that situation where someone has 4 "perfect" scores.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, the new format -- schoolyard basketball scoring -- was a success.

What an exciting 4th quarter. Book's team -- Team LeBron -- won.

They were down by 9 going into the 4th quarter.

Kawhi Leonard is the MVP.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Look it’s cool that he wants to honor them, but I gotta say as a suns fan after so many years of no representation in the all star game, this is disappointing not to see our colors.
That is why I reacted as well . . . even though it "cracked up" itlnsunsfan.

Mainstreet's point was a good one. The jacket had Kobe and Gianna's names
in tiny print compared to the Lakers logo.

Last edited: