Steve Keim Talks on 98.7 regarding state of the Cardinals

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If it was up to me I would draft Brown, or even Okudah if he is there because that kind of talent is never a waste. I would be fine with Wirfs which I think can be a dominant RT but do we want to use a top ten pick on a RT... if someone asked me who the Cards are going to draft, I think it's between Lamb and Jeudy because that's just the way it sounds

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess no Littleton in FA. then. As for the draft just hope it’s not CeeDee Lamb. He’s not the best prospect at 8.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on most just not sure that Drake is a lock as he will go to the highest bidder but I hope we get him. Regarding the draft I think it will be one of the following: DT Derrick Brown, LB Isiah Simmons, WR CeeDee Lamb or Wr Jerry Juedy. It just depends on who is there when we pick. It won't be an OT or CB.

I agree with your 4 players. Pick one and pray we’re right.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Based on who might be there...my top 3 (not in order)

Simmons
Lamb
One of the OT's (Becton or Wills right now)

Brown scares me. I was 100% sold on Q Williams last year and he certainly didn't make the impact expected. DT at #8 is just too high in nearly all cases.

I would rather sign a veteran DL in FA.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Based on who might be there...my top 3 (not in order)

Simmons
Lamb
One of the OT's (Becton or Wills right now)

Brown scares me. I was 100% sold on Q Williams last year and he certainly didn't make the impact expected. DT at #8 is just too high in nearly all cases.

I would rather sign a veteran DL in FA.
We mostly agree.

Assuming Young, & Okudah are gone

I'm:
Simmons
Thomas/Wills
Kinlaw
Jeudy/Lamb

Brown scares the ever loving crap out of me personally.
Kinlaw continues to grow on me.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We mostly agree.

Assuming Young, & Okudah are gone

I'm:
Simmons
Thomas/Wills
Kinlaw
Jeudy/Lamb

Brown scares the ever loving crap out of me personally.
Kinlaw continues to grow on me.

But if there is an area we can improve in free agency is the dt/de/olb
There are at least 15 guys available who can drastically change our front seven, if we can sign couple of them then we have the flexibility to go for the best player available

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
But if there is an area we can improve in free agency is the dt/de/olb
There are at least 15 guys available who can drastically change our front seven, if we can sign couple of them then we have the flexibility to go for the best player available
I think the two positions that, if upgraded, create the biggest jump are WILB (Covers the TE) or RT.

That makes Simmons not only a huge hope but also a needed player.
Or either Wills, Thomas, or Wirfs next.

And as I continue to say recently..... Javon Kinlaw is the truth and may be my #3 option behind Simmons or the tackles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the two positions that, if upgraded, create the biggest jump are WILB (Covers the TE) or RT.

That makes Simmons not only a huge hope but also a needed player.
Or either Wills, Thomas, or Wirfs next.

And as I continue to say recently..... Javon Kinlaw is the truth and may be my #3 option behind Simmons or the tackles.

Why I'd be very tempted by Simmons, is the absolute dearth of quality talent in free agency at ILB. But I think Simmons is long gone by pick 8.

Guys that I think we have no shot at in no order:
1. Chase Young
2. Joe Burrow
3. Jeff Okudah
4. Isaiah Simmons

After those four, it's a toss up between team needs of what who will be available.

I think Tua will be gone, but I'm not certain. I could see one of the offensive linemen gone, but because none are guaranteed LTs, I'm not 100% certain any of them will be gone.

Brown SHOULD be gone, but team needs will dictate the picks more than anything else.

One interesting nugget that Keim did address was how drafting goes. Players are put on tiers and you go after needs based on the tiered system. Anyone who advocates pure BPA isnt looking at the process in a reasonable manner. If you have a good RG and the best player on your board is a RG, you will likely take a different player.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Kinlaw can be a beast but why wasn't he more productive in college? Feels like he is the guy we hoped Nkemdiche would be but he also has consistency problems.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kinlaw can be a beast but why wasn't he more productive in college? Feels like he is the guy we hoped Nkemdiche would be but he also has consistency problems.

Because he had no help and was double teamed a lot. I've even seen him triple teamed.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I know this is kind of off topic, but if I’m the bengals, I take chase young and they’d still be terrible next year so get Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 draft.

Just like the sixers did in basketball.

Young and Lawrence are better than burrow and anybody else they could get.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I know this is kind of off topic, but if I’m the bengals, I take chase young and they’d still be terrible next year so get Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 draft.

Just like the sixers did in basketball.

Young and Lawrence are better than burrow and anybody else they could get.

do you think the Bengals buy time with their fans by taking a Buckeye?

im just thinking that if the Cards had just completed a five year run with Andy Dalton, and, the hottest QB in the draft was a local kid: there would be a riot at Cards HQ if they passed on the QB

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

im just thinking that if the Cards had just completed a five year run with Andy Dalton, and, the hottest QB in the draft was a local kid: there would be a riot at Cards HQ if they passed on the QB
I think the reason you couldn’t do it is bc you’d have to purposefully tank the full season and have to have all-in buy-in. Couldn’t have even a fluke win bc it’s always a possibility another team goes winless. Doesn’t happen often but if you’re banking on getting the number one pick and pass in a QB in this draft for one in the next you have to be 100% guaranteed you get him (and there’s still no guarantee he doesn’t get hurt).

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the reason you couldn’t do it is bc you’d have to purposefully tank the full season and have to have all-in buy-in. Couldn’t have even a fluke win bc it’s always a possibility another team goes winless. Doesn’t happen often but if you’re banking on getting the number one pick and pass in a QB in this draft for one in the next you have to be 100% guaranteed you get him (and there’s still no guarantee he doesn’t get hurt).
I wonder do people also know it’s harder to repeat as the #1 pick than it is to win back-to-back SBs or even World Series. Pretty sure the Browns are the only franchise to do that.

Think of it like this. The Dolphins TRIED to sell the house for the #1 pick this year & there were STILL 4 teams worse than them.

As great as Chase Young will probably be, he’ll never hold the impact to a franchise QB like Burrow. Aaron Donald & Khalil Mack are clearly better overall players than Ryan Tannehill, but who was it that impacted their teams’ results more & shot them into the playoffs?

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I think they’re 100% taking Burrow. If I’m them, I take Young and live with another bad year.

Everybody rips on Dalton but I think he helped them to the playoffs 5 straight years. Problem is they never won a game.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder do people also know it’s harder to repeat as the #1 pick than it is to win back-to-back SBs or even the World Series. Pretty sure the Browns are the only franchise to do that.

Think of it like this. The Dolphins TRIEDto sell the house for the #1 pick this year & there were STILL 4 teams worse than them.

As great as Chase Young will probably be, he’ll never hold the impact to a franchise QB like Burrow. Aaron Donald & Khalil Mack are clearly better overall players than Ryan Tannehill, but who was it that impacted their teams’ results more & shot them into the playoffs?

Totally agree. Bengals would be crazy not to draft Burrow. You are right that you can't pass on a qb.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wonder do people also know it’s harder to repeat as the #1 pick than it is to win back-to-back SBs or even World Series. Pretty sure the Browns are the only franchise to do that.

Think of it like this. The Dolphins TRIED to sell the house for the #1 pick this year & there were STILL 4 teams worse than them.

Aaron Donald is 2 Wins above replacement, and he is possibly the best front seven player ever.

If Burrow is the player he showed last year, he is significantly better than Lawrence. Last season, Lawrence didnt play nearly as well as he did his freshman season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think the reason you couldn’t do it is bc you’d have to purposefully tank the full season and have to have all-in buy-in. Couldn’t have even a fluke win bc it’s always a possibility another team goes winless. Doesn’t happen often but if you’re banking on getting the number pick and pass in a QB in this draft for one in the next you have to be 100% guaranteed you get him (and there’s still no guarantee he doesn’t get hurt).

trust me-- i think passing on Burrow would be crazy town unless he comes out and says "i wont play in Cincy"

and the Dolphins are proof tanking in the NFL is fraught with risk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You take the franchise QB 100%

It's funny and I dont want to make this a debate, but most of the people panning Keim's decision to draft a QB again, have done a complete 180 now.

If I'm the Rams and I had a shot at a better QB, I draft him. The Cardinals should've learned this lesson with Aaron Rodgers years ago. It's the one position that can have the largest impact on wins and losses.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have a bad gut feeling about Burrow... so I feel bad for the Bengals. They're all but locked in here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a bad gut feeling about Burrow... so I feel bad for the Bengals. They're all but locked in here.

Burrow had a fantastic season. Dude looks legit.

But it's also natural to have doubts about a guy that only did it for 1 year and had to transfer because he couldn't beat out JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson