All Star Weekend 2020

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The dunk contest this year represents what I hate most about the NBA, terrible (and probably corrupt) officiating. It ruined what was perhaps the best dunk contest I've ever seen. Too often, questionable judgments affect the outcome of NBA competition.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
They need to scrap the voting process and instead watch each dunk in the round and then rank them 1-4 in round 1 and then 1-2 in round 2. It doesn't make sense to vote on the first dunk before you've seen the second dunk when you're comparing the two.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They need to scrap the voting process and instead watch each dunk in the round and then rank them 1-4 in round 1 and then 1-2 in round 2. It doesn't make sense to vote on the first dunk before you've seen the second dunk when you're comparing the two.
'Good point. It is the same as saying that, in school, no one should ever be able to get 100% on
a test, because it limits the people who could have gone higher. It sets an arbitrary ceiling.

In other words, all tests should be on a curve. Designed for no one to finish in the allotted time.
It would make the grades of "A" more meaningful.

And the judges (teachers) would have to do their job diligently and determine on the curve what
the break points would be.

In the slam-dunk contest, a compromise would be to use that system in the final 2-man round to
determine the ultimate winner.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why don’t use an aggregate scoring system. Your dunk in the first round should be counted in your overall score if it was the best. I mean the head to head of the two finalists is kinda dumb considering they aren’t defending each other. Then I think we would also see everyone’s best dunk bc no one would have to “save” better dunks for later that we might not see bc they didn’t make it out of the first round.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why don’t use an aggregate scoring system. Your dunk in the first round should be counted in your overall score if it was the best. I mean the head to head of the two finalists is kinda dumb considering they aren’t defending each other. Then I think we would also see everyone’s best dunk bc no one would have to “save” better dunks for later that we might not see bc they didn’t make it out of the first round.
I don't agree. It shouldn't be complicated. Best 2 dunks in the 1st round go to round 2. Best dunk in round 2 wins. Why does it need to be more complicated than that?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BTW, it should be noted that Book lost the final round of the 3-point shooting contest by one point.
Just one point!!!

No matter what he does coming off the bench in the All Star game, he has arrived.

That should add to his patience quotient with the Suns going forward.

Take that, Sarver. More than anyone else associated with you, Devin rose above your mediocrity. :D

And so have the fans!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
BTW, it should be noted that Book lost the final round of the 3-point shooting contest by one
point. Just one point!!!

No matter what he does coming off the bench in the All Star game, he has arrived.

Take that, Sarver. More than anyone else associated with you, except your co-money vultures,
Devin rose above your mediocrity. :D

And so have the fans.
And he represents the Suns so well. Much better than the other players typically represent their teams. He's really got it figured out.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
BTW, it should be noted that Book lost the final round of the 3-point shooting contest by one point.
Just one point!!!

Take that, Sarver. More than anyone else associated with you, Devin rose above your mediocrity. :D

And so have the fans!
It literally came down to the very last shot. Buddy makes it, he wins, he misses it, he loses. He did have the advantage going last. I think Booker wins if he goes last and knows what he has to beat.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Brand new format for the All Star game. There'll be a winner of the 1st quarter.
Then a winner of the 2nd quarter. Then the 3rd. And the 4th quarter will not
have a game clock. First team to a certain total of points is the overall winner.

This will be interesting.The format was suggested by Chris Paul. And they're
playing for Chicago charities.

And, hey, why is Booker wearing a Lakers jacket as he warms up pre-game?
Is there something we don't know? :shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker's tribute to Kobe and Gianna Bryant in warm up jacket.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very touching pregame tribute to Kobe and family with pictures and singing by Jennifer Hudson.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since they seem to be sticking with the captains picking teams, I wish they would make it similar to how coaches are selected in that the same guy can't be the captain 2 years in a row. If they're the highest vote getter then it goes to #2 in that conference.

Giannis and Lebron were the captains last year and I imagine they picked some of the same guys. I know the selection show last year was kind of entertaining but I had no interest this year since they're the same guys picking teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker image on scoreboard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure it will come up again but Team Giannis is wearing number 24 in honor of Kobe, and they also have the red jerseys. Team Lebron is wearing number 2 to honor Gianna Bryant, Kobe's daughter who was also in that accident, and they're wearing the blue jerseys. It appears that all players are wearing those numbers.

I hope no one relies on jersey numbers to see who is who because that won't work tonight.

Again, RED is Team Giannis and they're wearing #24 and BLUE is Team Lebron, who are wearing #2. Booker is on Team Lebron.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it will come up again but Team Giannis is wearing number 24 in honor of Kobe, and they also have the red jerseys. Team Lebron is wearing number 2 to honor Gianna Bryant, Kobe's daughter who was also in that accident, and they're wearing the blue jerseys. It appears that all players are wearing those numbers.

I hope no one relies on jersey numbers to see who is who because that won't work tonight.

Again, RED is Team Giannis and they're wearing #24 and BLUE is Team Lebron, who are wearing #2. Booker is on Team Lebron.

When it was East versus West I felt it was easier to cheer for a team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the commissioner wants a tournament it should be a part of the All-Star Weekend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't agree. It shouldn't be complicated. Best 2 dunks in the 1st round go to round 2. Best dunk in round 2 wins. Why does it need to be more complicated than that?
When it’s an aesthetics thing it seems silly that the dude who clearly had the best collection of dunks on a given night doesn’t win. It’s that simple to me. With the head-to-head you could have one finalist who had five 50s through all rounds and ends up with a final 49 lose to a guy who was second beat with four 47s but had two 50s in the final round. Who had the better night? Dunking is about entertaining. Who was more entertaining?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Devin Booker's tribute to Kobe and Gianna Bryant in warm up jacket.

Look it’s cool that he wants to honor them, but I gotta say as a suns fan after so many years of no representation in the all star game, this is disappointing not to see our colors.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I’m reminded why I don’t watch this garbage. I’m glad Booker is there but this is unwatchable. I’m surprised these guys don’t care about winning money for their charities.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave