2020 Draft

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Since Carolinacacti brought it up... the only point guards that don’t scare the hell out of me are Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes, and I will be the first to admit, I have watched tons of Haliburton games but only highlights of Hayes. The rest of the top point guards (Ball, Anthony, Mannion) I really don’t have much interest in. Assuming we pick in the 10-14 range I don’t think we will even have a shot at Ball or Anthony though.
Im the same way Hayes and haliburton seem like safer pg picks, I watch alot of North Carolina so I've seen Anthony play and he looks bad , I know his team is terrible so he has to try to do more himself but he makes alot of bad mistakes , wasn't great at defense , and his shot selection was incredibly poor he is one player who needs another year in college

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Well, what would you call a 6-9 Forward that is ranked 101st in BPG in DI while playing in the A-10 (and at 31 MPG)? He is currently behind 2 Guards. At his size and athleticism and in that conference I would guess there are few 1st round prospects that have been worse.

He's ranked #123 in rebounds. Again, he plays against A-10 players. That's not good. That's not average. That's not even below average.

He's currently ranked 6th in BPG in the A-10. Right behind Marcus Weathers... you know, the 6-5 Forward from Duquesne.
He's currently ranked 8th in RPG in the A-10. Right behind Marcus Weathers... you know, the 6-5 Forward from Duquesne.

Argue semantics all you want. Those numbers are not good.
Did a little further digging, and going unofficially by Fox's numbers he ranks:

#288 in Blocks per 40 minutes
#390 in Rebounds per 40 minutes

and once again, to be clear, that's against A-10 opponents.

IOW, abysmal.

But back to my original point, Obi is a very good offensive stretch 4. His double threat production from the top of the key is extremely useful. And off the ball his athleticism and good hands will garner easy buckets with high alley oop potential. He's a good prospect with potential. As to his weaknesses, many prospects have gone to the pros and completely erased all prior concerns (Jayson Tatum's D comes to mind), Obi can do the same.

And who knows. Under Monty, Ayton has shown tremendous strides on D and he had some similar concerns with his timing coming out of Arizona. Maybe Monty can work the same magic on Obi.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Draft sleeper alert. I do think this kid has some real potential as a stretch 4.

7-1, 210, with a 7-3 wing span. He is very mobile, has excellent agility and body control, great hands on defense (lots of steals), blocks shots, and is a very good passer. This kid has the potential to be a Jokic level sleeper. He is not the greatest shooter at the moment, but will shoot (unlike Bender). He is very young, his body will fill out.

If you watch him play, he belongs. He has a swagger on the court (in a good way). He is always in the middle of the action and plays with a high level of confidence. He has the potential to be one of the better players in this draft.

Aleksej Pokuševski

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft sleeper alert. I do think this kid has some real potential as a stretch 4.

7-1, 210, with a 7-3 wing span. He is very mobile, has excellent agility and body control, great hands on defense (lots of steals), blocks shots, and is a very good passer. This kid has the potential to be a Jokic level sleeper. He is not the greatest shooter at the moment, but will shoot (unlike Bender). He is very young, his body will fill out.

If you watch him play, he belongs. He has a swagger on the court (in a good way). He is always in the middle of the action and plays with a high level of confidence. He has the potential to be one of the better players in this draft.

Aleksej Pokuševski

Aleksej reminds me more of Zarko than Jokic before the Fortson incident.

Zarko would be such a nice fit in today's NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since Carolinacacti brought it up... the only point guards that don’t scare the hell out of me are Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes, and I will be the first to admit, I have watched tons of Haliburton games but only highlights of Hayes. The rest of the top point guards (Ball, Anthony, Mannion) I really don’t have much interest in. Assuming we pick in the 10-14 range I don’t think we will even have a shot at Ball or Anthony though.

Is Ball really a PG? I've seen him listed and described as both a PG and SG. I've also heard him say he's a SG, with Lavar backing that up. He's listed at 6'8" on Draft.net but I think he might be taller also. If you see him next to Lonzo, he's got a couple of inches on him. He may end up a Ben Simmons type, but not afraid to shoot. I wasn't high on him before but figured I'd watch some videos to see what he brings since he's been discussed as a pick and I'm not sold on him as a PG, at all, and we don't need a SG or SF like him with our pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a lot of players in this draft that scare me because they are just not very good. In fact, the only ones that don't scare me are: Haliburton, Okongwu, Wiseman (yes, he will be good), Toppin, and Carey Jr.

Okongwu has no major weaknesses.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Is Ball really a PG? I've seen him listed and described as both a PG and SG. I've also heard him say he's a SG, with Lavar backing that up. He's listed at 6'8" on Draft.net but I think he might be taller also. If you see him next to Lonzo, he's got a couple of inches on him. He may end up a Ben Simmons type, but not afraid to shoot. I wasn't high on him before but figured I'd watch some videos to see what he brings since he's been discussed as a pick and I'm not sold on him as a PG, at all, and we don't need a SG or SF like him with our pick.
I think one of the main reasons that Lavar calls him a shooting guard is that he still has the moronic plan in his mind of all his sons playing on the same team (with Lonzo as PG, LaMelo as SG, and LiAngelo as SF). I think a lot of scouts see him a pg (or at least a point forward) because his playmaking is clearly his strongest skill. Lots of questions about other aspects of his game, but his playmaking is what will get him drafted high.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this is totally gonna be the year where we somehow win the lottery from way back and just have bleghhhh in front of us.
Hahaha right I have the same feeling

Man suns got screwed last yr should have morant right now :(

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think one of the main reasons that Lavar calls him a shooting guard is that he still has the moronic plan in his mind of all his sons playing on the same team (with Lonzo as PG, LaMelo as SG, and LiAngelo as SF). I think a lot of scouts see him a a pg (or at least a point forward) because his playmaking is clearly his strongest skill. Lots of questions about other aspects of his game, but his playmaking is what will get him drafted high.

He is an interesting player. His handle is suspect, but he dibbles a lot. His shooting percentages are low, but he shoots a lot. He is big, he is a very good and willing passer. He has very active hands on defense.

Right now, he is a poor man's Ricky Rubio in his skill set, but he shoots way more than Ricky does and is taller. In fact, his game right now reminds me a lot of Elfrid Payton. If LABall does not learn how to improve his efficiency he will hurt his team on the court. He is the type of risk you take at 10 in the draft, not #1 or #2.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. That just shows how weak this draft is.
It is a weak draft, but there is more to it. Ball is ranked too high, even for this draft.

I would take Wiseman, Haliburton, Okongwu, Toppin, and maybe even Reed and Vernon Carey Jr. ahead of him. People should be looking at him in the 6-8 range.

I still do not get why Carey Jr. is rated so low. He will be a solid NBA player.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It is a weak draft, but there is more to it. Ball is ranked too high, even for this draft.

I would take Wiseman, Haliburton, Okongwu, Toppin, and maybe even Reed and Vernon Carey Jr. ahead of him. People should be looking at him in the 6-8 range.

I still do not get why Carey Jr. is rated so low. He will be a solid NBA player.
Carey Jr is a bit of an old school center, and the nba continues to devalue them. I think he will have a long career with a floor of an 14-8 guy.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Carey Jr is a bit of an old school center, and the nba continues to devalue them. I think he will have a long career with a floor of an 14-8 guy.
Those numbers sound about exactly what I would hope to get out of VCjr, a solid starter. I'm starting to get really high on Toppin, where I'd be ok with making a trade happen to get him. I also like Haliburton but unfortunately we won't get to see him play in March. I have to believe we can get one of these three in the draft.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
First off, I'm in full agreeance that this draft is awful. I can't remember hating a draft this much since maybe Olidipo's in 2013. So I feel like we're picking through the garbage at this point hoping a Giannis or Gobert are under the dirty diapers and old magazines. And I'm sure there will be some this year. That said...

On the topic of Haliburton, production-wise I get the love for Tyrese. You can't argue his shooting percentage or his court vision or his defensive awareness or even his high energy desire to be successful. I love watching guys with that kind of passion play. He has a high ceiling. I have him as one of the better prospects in this draft.

What I can argue is the awkwardness. I'm not at all trying to be mean here, but the kid is awkward all over. Like baby giraffe awkward. It's not just his odd shot that has me troubled, but his general twitchiness in all aspects of his game (not to be confused with "high twitch"). I notice it after passes, shots, dribbling up court, coming off screens, etc. He has extra unnecessary movements that don't seem to benefit him. One time I saw him make an outstanding block and then land super odd on his leg. I watched the replay like ten times and he put his foot down in a place where no one ever does. I'm surprised he didn't hurt a knee or suffer damage.

Then I watched him fracture his wrist on a similar play. I mean, stuff happens and I don't wish it on anyone, but this kid seems to put himself in really awkward positions which has me concerned that he'll be an injury prone guy.

I tried to think of another prospect that panned out with these awkward characteristics, and I couldn't think of any. Closest I came to was Shawn Marion. But his game wasn't awkward as much as it was ugly. Lonzo Ball is a good comp, but he isn't successful yet.

My hope for him is that, just like a baby giraffe, given enough time he'll grow into that body and he'll be a healthy adult. If he smooths out his movements he can be a heck of a player. But there are enough warning signs to be cautious here.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ball and Wiseman would both scare the hell out of me as top picks.

I would not be at all surprised if one or both don't make it through their rookie contract.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Ball and Wiseman would both scare the hell out of me as top picks.

I would not be at all surprised if one or both don't make it through their rookie contract.
Ball is a high boom or bust pick, I wouldnt risk picking him unless it was after ten , he plays no defense and is a horrible shooter, he's like lonzo without the defense. Wiseman on the other hand actually looked good in the short time he played , he could use a little more size but already has an NBA body and he is very good on the defensive end. His offense isn't as refined as his defense but he still looked good and although he didn't take any in college he can shoot 3s. Id be very surprised if (baring injury) he wasn't in the NBA for a full career

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ball is a high boom or bust pick, I wouldnt risk picking him unless it was after ten , he plays no defense and is a horrible shooter, he's like lonzo without the defense. Wiseman on the other hand actually looked good in the short time he played , he could use a little more size but already has an NBA body and he is very good on the defensive end. His offense isn't as refined as his defense but he still looked good and although he didn't take any in college he can shoot 3s. Id be very surprised if (baring injury) he wasn't in the NBA for a full career

Wiseman has serious questions about attitude and motivation... and those questions existed BEFORE he quit on his college team a month into the season.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Wiseman has serious questions about attitude and motivation... and those questions existed BEFORE he quit on his college team a month into the season.
Yes he has but his talent isn't the issue and I don't really put much stock in a player leaving to prepare for the draft early, plus ncaa was already screwing him over why should he stay ? Now if he shows up in predraft workouts and he's out of shape from doing nothing during his leave then there should be some cause for concern

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updated mock at Draft Express.

Isaac Okoro at #3.

Please no Mannion at #10 where the Suns draft.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson