Warriors @ Suns Wednesday game thread 2-12-20

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
At least next season you’ll be able to get a mixed drink in every single nook and cranny of the arena while you watch the Suns suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Suns 112 - Warriors 106

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feels good to get a win going into All-Star Weekend. Now need to get Booker on that roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolden had 6 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks tonight. Not bad for his first game with the Suns.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
22-33 wow so much better than last 5yrs. Sooo many close losses...we pull them out we have 28 wins easy. No ayton for 50% of the season cmon man

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bolden had 6 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks tonight. Not bad for his first game with the Suns.
Diallo and Bolden combined for 16 points and 15 boards in 48 minutes
at Center.

Anything less vs. these Warriers would have been disappointing but,
happy to see, we weren't disappointed.

I, too, hope that we give Bolden a chance. And, as others, I wonder
how the 10-day contract is handled over the All Star break.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
at Center.

They mentioned on the radio that when a 10 day contract goes over the all star break they are allowed to extend the 10 days to a total of 3 games played.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How the 10 day contract works over the break shouldn't be a concern. Bolden showed he's at least as productive as Diallo and realistically there won't be a better player available that will sign with the Suns. The players that will be available won't be looking at Phoenix as a destination because we're too far out of the playoff hunt. Sign the kid through the end of the season and add a 2nd year option, if possible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How the 10 day contract works over the break shouldn't be a concern. Bolden showed he's at least as productive as Diallo and realistically there won't be a better player available that will sign with the Suns. The players that will be available won't be looking at Phoenix as a destination because we're too far out of the playoff hunt. Sign the kid through the end of the season and add a 2nd year option, if possible.

He certainly looked more comfortable out there than Diallo typically does. But that is probably more of a Diallo problem than a Bolden trait.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Bolden you need to look at his career in whole, he's basically a guy who always looks like he should be much better than he is. When he got to UCLA they had a weird academic thing where he was fully eligible but because the academic clock starts earlier in Australia the NCAA refused to allow Bolden's last year of HS, in America, so he had to sit out his freshman year. The whole year we were hearing talk about how he might be better than Looney(who was the star freshman). How Looney was probably better now but Bolden had more potential, how Bolden could actually play guard, how Bolden was going to be our best defender etc. When he actually played the next year you could see the potential, but it just never materialized into production, he was an undersized 4. One year under 5PPG and then despite having that full redshirt year when he first arrived, he managed to become academically ineligible and turned pro announcing he wanted to play the 2 or 3 not the 4 so he was leaving. I give him credit for working his way into the NBA but I still see the same guy, he looks like he could be good, but he just never seems to get there, he's not horrible and he's only 24 but at a certain point you just decide he's one of those guys who just never seems to get much better. Philly kept him around in part because he's buddies with Ben Simmons, but when they needed more talent they let him go.

I know why you guys are down on Chriss, high pick didn't pan out, immature etc. As a Warrior I think you guys are underrating him, 22 years old, that stuff was before he got to the Warriors so they don't really care about it. In about 20 MPG he's putting up 9 and 6 shooting 54%, 1 block while mainly playing the 5 and 4 (he and Draymond together sort of rotate that spot on defense). He's not a star, probably never will be a starter on a good team, but he's done very well this year, took advantage of the chance and has earned himself a contract. Hopefully he continues to stay out of trouble and work on his game he's been a nice addition. I fully expect them to let Looney go after the season because he can't stay healthy, so Chriss' development has been a big plus for them.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chriss' natural talent plus the motivation of the opponent/arena led to a nice game from him. It is when the motivation is not there that the problem lies, imo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at Center.

Coming into the game I didn't have high expectations for a player picked up after the trade deadline but Bolden is surprisingly athletic. He has the build to play PF/C. The bar is not set real high. That said, long term the Suns are looking for depth upfront so I think Bolden has a chance and might even surprise like Holmes.

I see Offset has already answered your question.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Bolden you need to look at his career in whole, he's basically a guy who always looks like he should be much better than he is. When he got to UCLA they had a weird academic thing where he was fully eligible but because the academic clock starts earlier in Australia the NCAA refused to allow Bolden's last year of HS, in America, so he had to sit out his freshman year. The whole year we were hearing talk about how he might be better than Looney(who was the star freshman). How Looney was probably better now but Bolden had more potential, how Bolden could actually play guard, how Bolden was going to be our best defender etc. When he actually played the next year you could see the potential, but it just never materialized into production, he was an undersized 4. One year under 5PPG and then despite having that full redshirt year when he first arrived, he managed to become academically ineligible and turned pro announcing he wanted to play the 2 or 3 not the 4 so he was leaving. I give him credit for working his way into the NBA but I still see the same guy, he looks like he could be good, but he just never seems to get there, he's not horrible and he's only 24 but at a certain point you just decide he's one of those guys who just never seems to get much better. Philly kept him around in part because he's buddies with Ben Simmons, but when they needed more talent they let him go.

I know why you guys are down on Chriss, high pick didn't pan out, immature etc. As a Warrior I think you guys are underrating him, 22 years old, that stuff was before he got to the Warriors so they don't really care about it. In about 20 MPG he's putting up 9 and 6 shooting 54%, 1 block while mainly playing the 5 and 4 (he and Draymond together sort of rotate that spot on defense). He's not a star, probably never will be a starter on a good team, but he's done very well this year, took advantage of the chance and has earned himself a contract. Hopefully he continues to stay out of trouble and work on his game he's been a nice addition. I fully expect them to let Looney go after the season because he can't stay healthy, so Chriss' development has been a big plus for them.
Chriss came to the Suns with huge sense of entitlement. He was a punk on the court, out of shape in the off season and took months of the regular season to get in shape. We are talking 15 pounds out of shape. He got techs all the time and was famous for missing dinks. He would show flashes of talent but otherwise was just a knucklehead.

unfortunately it took getting cut by several teams to get his attention. Hopefully it worked. That is the problem sometimes drafting 18 year olds.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss' natural talent plus the motivation of the opponent/arena led to a nice game from him. It is when the motivation is not there that the problem lies, imo.

He's been playing this way for awhile though, not just against the Suns

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss came to the Suns with huge sense of entitlement. He was a punk on the court, out of shape in the off season and took months of the regular season to get in shape. We are talking 15 pounds out of shape. He got techs all the time and was famous for missing dinks. He would show flashes of talent but otherwise was just a knucklehead.

unfortunately it took getting cut by several teams to get his attention. Hopefully it worked. That is the problem sometimes drafting 18 year olds.

exactly he was 19 or 20 one year of college and ahigh pick for the Suns, expectations were big. For the Warriors no expectations so he's been a great pickup. Perspective matters, the Warriors gave up nothing to get him, the Suns used a high pick

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
exactly he was 19 or 20 one year of college and ahigh pick for the Suns, expectations were big. For the Warriors no expectations so he's been a great pickup. Perspective matters, the Warriors gave up nothing to get him, the Suns used a high pick
Not only that. Earl Watson's coaching style was to stroke the ego's of his young players, making things even worse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only that. Earl Watson's coaching style was to stroke the ego's of his young players, making things even worse.
Yeah I don't think Earl is much of a coach at least he hasn't proven it yet.

All those ex UCLA players who were pushing Earl for the UCLA job were bagging on UCLA early in the season when they were struggling, now a bunch of them are on the Mick Cronin bandwagon. I think Earl is a great guy but he's got to actually do something as a coach before he gets another HC job either NBA or at a bigtime college program. He thought being an ex UCLA player would get him the job.