Kenyan Drake giving it to Mitch

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I want him to be a better player with a record of success before paying him.

I don't want to be on the hook for a mediocre running back for four years. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if Drake goes somewhere else, he fails to run for 1,000 yards again. If he stays here, he might get it by volume, but he won't get it by being good.
Sometimes you have to take a gamble on a small data set. I mean Thomas Jones and Garrison Hearst sucked with us. The miners and jets took flyers on them and it paid off.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
As much as I would like to keep him it is clear he is chasing the money and we have DJ's contract to deal with.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to take a gamble on a small data set. I mean Thomas Jones and Garrison Hearst sucked with us. The miners and jets took flyers on them and it paid off.
Garrison Hearst was cut, claimed by the Bengals, also released by them, and then signed for nothing by the 49ers. This isn't the equivalent of Drake, it'd be like picking up TJ Yeldon tomorrow and having him suddenly become a primary back.

Same for Thomas Jones, more or less. He was never the solution for a team. He bounced around, and teams that paid him constantly looked for his replacement.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just hope that in about a month from now, I'm NOT reading a post that states, "Kenyan Drake is giving it to the Cardinals".

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Violent, tough runner.
If Moss is so good why is he not expected to go until the 4th or 5th round? I’m not against drafting him but if he is somebody that you hope to count on how do you know he will be there?

if there are people out there that think that highly of him then why wouldn’t he be gone by the 3rd or earlier?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If Moss is so good why is he not expected to go until the 4th or 5th round? I’m not against drafting him but if he is somebody that you hope to count on how do you know he will be there?

if there are people out there that think that highly of him then why wouldn’t he be gone by the 3rd or earlier?

1. He's a RB.
2. He doesnt look that fast.
3. Doesn't look like he can be an all around back.

But if you want a RB who will wear out a defense and turn a no gainer in to a 4 yard gain, hes your guy.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score

That's quite likely.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Simple, for the moment Drake works extremely well for this offense and Keim has not been able to draft well in ages... hmm, maybe we should pay Drake since we are not going to the Super Bowl this season and the nightmare which is the extreme contract of DJ will be gone when we are more able to chase the prize :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fall somewhere in the middle. He is OK. He was better than DJ but he is not a star running back by any means. Star running backs are consistent. I would still try and sign the guy because I think DJ is done in terms of ever returning to form.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny to see, actually. But also funny that I agree wholeheartedly with Mitch on this one.

The only reason that I can see that you would be against this trade, is if you were hoping that AZ didn't win as many games and wanted a better draft pick....

If that is not it, tell us why you agree with Mitch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason that I can see that you would be against this trade, is if you were hoping that AZ didn't win as many games and wanted a better draft pick....

Yeah I'm no Drake is a star give him the money guy either but I can't see why anybody would fault that trade. With us 8 games 643 yards so just under 1300 for a full year clip, 5.2 YPC, good pass protector, underwhelming receiving only 6 YPC but better than Edmonds. Chase was 8.8 but he had a bunch of drops and you're limited in what you can throw to him he's just not a good receiver.

I actually think Chase is a pretty good player i hope we keep him, and again I wouldn't be bummed if Drake does price himself out if we just sign Matt Breida instead, but I think it was a very good trade and if we can sign him to a deal that's not bad, he's worth keeping.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I'm no Drake is a star give him the money guy either but I can't see why anybody would fault that trade. With us 8 games 643 yards so just under 1300 for a full year clip, 5.2 YPC, good pass protector, underwhelming receiving only 6 YPC but better than Edmonds. Chase was 8.8 but he had a bunch of drops and you're limited in what you can throw to him he's just not a good receiver.

I actually think Chase is a pretty good player i hope we keep him, and again I wouldn't be bummed if Drake does price himself out if we just sign Matt Breida instead, but I think it was a very good trade and if we can sign him to a deal that's not bad, he's worth keeping.
Is Breida a 3 downs running back?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The only issue with the trade for Drake is that we did not sign him to an extension when we made the trade.
Could you imagine the crap storm on this website if they had signed him to an extension immediately upon the trade, and then he comes out and sucks?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You guys don't have to write as if Mitch isn't here, he's reading all of this

Not only is Mitch reading this, he is imagining there are people here which are not even here and state with authority what those other people are thinking... sincerely Napoleon Bonaparte, and I do not approve of your take concerning Drake and please do not fabricate anything about Josephine and I :)

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Could you imagine the crap storm on this website if they had signed him to an extension immediately upon the trade, and then he comes out and sucks?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

it would have been a meh moment as the extension likely would have come at a low cost.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

That's some element, I guess, but at the end of the day, I don't see where Mitch is wrong.

He pretty adeptly points out my biggest issue with Drake:

However, over the next four games, all losses, Drake carried the ball 52 times for 170 yards (3.3 ave.) and 0 TDs. In that interim both Chase Edmonds and David Johnson were now back from injuries, yet Johnson was relegated to 17 carries for 42 yards (2.5 ave.) and 0 TDs and Edmonds, who rushed for 126 yards on 27 carries (4.7 ave.) and 3 TDs versus the Giants in Week 7, was only handed the ball 9 times (16 yards) for the rest of the season.

For some reason, everyone ignores this stretch. He was abysmal. People cut him from fantasy rosters in a year starved for RB production. No, stats aren't the only thing that matters, but he just wasn't a contributor. Then he comes in and steps it up against a reeling Browns team missing their best DL player. I can't complain about his game against Seattle.

We're wasting a pick on a player who might be as good as gone for the money, for three meaningless good games. A player who could be cost controlled over the years, and hopefully develop. If we re-sign him, a 5th. If not, a 6th. No, these picks normally don't pan out, but they definitely sometimes are part of a rotation or special teams that build the belly of the roster. Heck, one of these picks could be a part of a trade up for a better player that will be part of our future.

And now we have a man who wants to get paid above all else.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's some element, I guess, but at the end of the day, I don't see where Mitch is wrong.

He pretty adeptly points out my biggest issue with Drake:

However, over the next four games, all losses, Drake carried the ball 52 times for 170 yards (3.3 ave.) and 0 TDs. In that interim both Chase Edmonds and David Johnson were now back from injuries, yet Johnson was relegated to 17 carries for 42 yards (2.5 ave.) and 0 TDs and Edmonds, who rushed for 126 yards on 27 carries (4.7 ave.) and 3 TDs versus the Giants in Week 7, was only handed the ball 9 times (16 yards) for the rest of the season.

For some reason, everyone ignores this stretch. He was abysmal. People cut him from fantasy rosters in a year starved for RB production. No, stats aren't the only thing that matters, but he just wasn't a contributor. Then he comes in and steps it up against a reeling Browns team missing their best DL player. I can't complain about his game against Seattle.

We're wasting a pick on a player who might be as good as gone for the money, for three meaningless good games. A player who could be cost controlled over the years, and hopefully develop. If we re-sign him, a 5th. If not, a 6th. No, these picks normally don't pan out, but they definitely sometimes are part of a rotation or special teams that build the belly of the roster. Heck, one of these picks could be a part of a trade up for a better player that will be part of our future.

And now we have a man who wants to get paid above all else.

The Cards made it very clear, (even to the media and the fans) that they were checking the tires on Drake to see if he was going to be a long term solution. That is why the others didn't get much of an opportunity. You could come up with the same argument in the other direction if we traded for Drake, but then played DJ and Chase for those 4 games.