Tyler Johnson to the Suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring on a player like Dragan Bender or Trey Burke.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What really blows my mind is that you assume that he didn't attempt to do just that. There probably just wasn't a deal they felt was worth doing since we would likely have to take back long term contracts to do it.

I kept hoping a player with the right long term contract would become available. If the Suns wanted to cough up assets D'Angelo Russell would have worked. Clearly the Suns didn't want to go this direction.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may literally be the first time I believe another shoe will actually drop.

Since the Suns didn't do any thing at the trade deadline I have renewed excitement. There are some players out there that would help the team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
First thing I thought of was who are they brinigng in? They cannot until Johnson clears waivers.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It was smart to keep him up to the trade deadline just in case a deal presented himself, but now that the deadline has passed, the roster spot is more valuable. Of course, we could of opened an injury roster spot and we chose not too, but who knows.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There were a couple guys, I don't remember who, that went on waivers, that I thought would be 10 day worthy, not a full time solution, just to get a look see with how they would fit, especially since we are short on bigs.

I did find it interesting that both Bender and Knoght got traded on the trade deadline.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than Drummond, who was dealt at the deadline for a large expiring? It doesn't appear there was anything like that available that would have addressed a need or upgraded the team.

I thought Tyler and his contract would be able to fetch something headed into the season but the closer the deadline came, the more apparent it was that there wasn't a deal to be made outside of trading for Kevin Love, which could have been disastrous, IMO.

Expiring contracts don't have the value they once did.
Expirings do not have value in themselves except in making uneven trades even. There was no player available at the deadline that was worth more than the cap space the Suns get from his expiring. They still have that. Tyler was the logical cut in order to sign front line depth. It also gives him a chance to sign on with a playoff team if he wants.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude went from making $20M to probably playing for vet minimum just to stay in the league. Awful contract, awful trade, and awful player.
That contract was significantly backloaded. It was basically a $12 mil contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Ayton is questionable for the Lakers game the Suns might be thinking front court depth with Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bender. AD, Dwight, and McGee won't stand a chance tomorrow night.

As I understand it, it takes 24 hours for a player to clear waivers so I'm not sure when the Suns will have a spot available since Tyler Johnson is on waivers. I don't know if the Suns can waive a player and claim a player at the same time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than Drummond, who was dealt at the deadline for a large expiring? It doesn't appear there was anything like that available that would have addressed a need or upgraded the team.

I thought Tyler and his contract would be able to fetch something headed into the season but the closer the deadline came, the more apparent it was that there wasn't a deal to be made outside of trading for Kevin Love, which could have been disastrous, IMO.

Expiring contracts don't have the value they once did.

the value of his contract was to make money match in a deal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude went from making $20M to probably playing for vet minimum just to stay in the league. Awful contract, awful trade, and awful player.

It was most certainly not an awful trade, it got the corpse of Ryan Anderson off the team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m telling you bender can at the least become a productive bench player. They are making a mistake if they don’t bring him back.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
As I understand it, it takes 24 hours for a player to clear waivers so I'm not sure when the Suns will have a spot available since Tyler Johnson is on waivers. I don't know if the Suns can waive a player and claim a player at the same time.

Oh you are right. I was really just making a joke.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, it’s certainly obvious that we tried to trade him, waiving him almost certainly means we are signing someone, hopefully a big.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First thing I thought of was who are they brinigng in? They cannot until Johnson clears waivers.

I think they could sign someone now using the injury exception and letting that player slide into the roster spot when Frank returns. They may be limited to only doing a 10 day right now, with the injury exception but they can explain to the player they'll sign them outright once Tyler clears waivers.

I think that injury exception will come in handy now to help the team add someone before Tyler clears waivers though. I could be wrong but I know the issue with signing someone using that exception was having to waive someone when Frank is back but having the roster spot now eliminates that issue down the line.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Part of me wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Waiters, but he may be a lost cause if Miami couldn't keep him in line.