Kenyan Drake giving it to Mitch

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
If getting called out publicly by one of the most valuable players on the team last year doesn’t put someone in their place, I don’t know what will. This was quite a slap in the face
Not really. Drake had a few great games for us and I also liked what I saw. But I want to see a couple of good YEARS before I give him credit for calling someone out. Look at his end zone celebrations about the money sack and the vault. It was all about him getting paid. Not the team, not the great play call, not the timing of the call and not the great blocking to open holes for him. No, it was all about him cashing in on a few great games. I've seen running backs look great for a short time and then fizzle out. We have DJ on a huge contract and we will pay him to be on the team or even if he is cut. Our only hope is to find someone dumb enough to trade DJ to, otherwise we have very little to offer Drake. And he is going to the highest bidder. He has made that clear. If we can't trade DJ, it is time to move on a draft a RB. We have too many holes to fill.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
LOL 5 useless games.

Dude would have posted 1286 rushing yards if he replicated his efforts over the course of 16 games. Averaged 5.22 per carry.

Your standards are so ridiculous at times.
He averaged that because of one ridiculous 80 yard run. One busted play. Of course a player deserves credit for taking it to the house, good on him. But tell me that DJ or Edmonds couldn't have run through this hole and pulled off the same thing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

His YPC in other games is mediocre overall. He disappeared completely for three games. But, nah, let's not look at the total numbers or anything, I'm sure PFF or Football Outsiders had a great grade on him or something.

But it's fine, I'm sure Keim will pay him 8 million a year and we'll end up cutting him in two years anyways.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really. Drake had a few great games for us and I also liked what I saw. But I want to see a couple of good YEARS before I give him credit for calling someone out. Look at his end zone celebrations about the money sack and the vault. It was all about him getting paid. Not the team, not the great play call, not the timing of the call and not the great blocking to open holes for him. No, it was all about him cashing in on a few great games. I've seen running backs look great for a short time and then fizzle out. We have DJ on a huge contract and we will pay him to be on the team or even if he is cut. Our only hope is to find someone dumb enough to trade DJ to, otherwise we have very little to offer Drake. And he is going to the highest bidder. He has made that clear. If we can't trade DJ, it is time to move on a draft a RB. We have too many holes to fill.

I think people are reading too much into his EZ celebration. Especially Mitch.

Drake was in a contract year at the worst team in the league (at the time) and still barely getting any work. The kid probably thought he was headed for a 1 year prove it deal for vet min somewhere.

Then he gets a chance to be a lead back and show what he can do, it's only natural there's some relief there.

In my opinion that EZ celebration wasn't him saying "I'm going to get paid $10m+" as Mitch thinks. It was just him saying "I'm showing what I can do and it's putting more money in the bank".

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JMO, but I think that we'll resign him, and a year from now we'll know if that was a good decision. I'm guessing about $5M a year. And since we're probably a year away, we'll keep DJ, and go into 2021 in better CAP shape.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He averaged that because of one ridiculous 80 yard run. One busted play. Of course a player deserves credit for taking it to the house, good on him. But tell me that DJ or Edmonds couldn't have run through this hole and pulled off the same thing.

His YPC in other games is mediocre overall. He disappeared completely for three games. But, nah, let's not look at the total numbers or anything, I'm sure PFF or Football Outsiders had a great grade on him or something.

But it's fine, I'm sure Keim will pay him 8 million a year and we'll end up cutting him in two years anyways.
Lol, DJ’s slow a** for sure not going 40, let alone 80. Chase doesn’t have the breakout speed KD does either.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ive had my issues with some of Mitch's posts -- typically when he takes his speculation and states it as a fact he has learned....

but on what he wrote on ROTB, he isnt wrong.

( as an aside, Mitch indulges one of his favorite things: suggesting a player would rather be a role player on the Patriots than a starter on the Cards.)

Drake has had chances to give stronger endorsements of his stay in Arizona and seemed to intentionally not do it.

Maybe the team offered him a Tevin Coleman kind of deal and that insulted him.

It could be as simple as Drake is from Atlanta and would prefer to be in the eastern time zone. Who knows.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ive had my issues with some of Mitch's posts -- typically when he takes his speculation and states it as a fact he has learned....

but on what he wrote on ROTB, he isnt wrong.

( as an aside, Mitch indulges one of his favorite things: suggesting a player would rather be a role player on the Patriots than a starter on the Cards.)

Drake has had chances to give stronger endorsements of his stay in Arizona and seemed to intentionally not do it.

Maybe the team offered him a Tevin Coleman kind of deal and that insulted him.

It could be as simple as Drake is from Atlanta and would prefer to be in the eastern time zone. Who knows.

I like Mitch. He's a good writer and RotB would suck balls without him. I also respect his knowledge and his career as a teacher. He's a good dude with some interesting stories.

But we fell out to the point he refused to talk to me anymore for pointing out how inconsistent he is and how much he writes his fiction as fact. He is thin skinned. We are all pupils and we should rever him as our teacher.

But he flips sides like a Russian double agent.

Here is his article describing his ***** for Drake when we signed him.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/help-me-identify-these-players.340563/

Then the guy has the per game equivalent of 1200+ yards over a season and now it's a mistake?

And it all stems from his perceived meaning of Drakes EZ celebration when he opened the safe and he's decided that its a fact he wants big money. No doubt. No leeway.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t know what you want from this guy. DJ might have ran through that hole but no way he takes it to the house. People calling Drake our for celebrating a TD is ridiculous. I also don’t know what people expect him to say. I’ll play or nickels on a dollar? Ninety nine % of the people that talk about letting him walk is based on thinking we will have to overpay him...except you. You are on record saying you wouldn’t pay him 2m a year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are reading too much into his EZ celebration. Especially Mitch.

Drake was in a contract year at the worst team in the league (at the time) and still barely getting any work. The kid probably thought he was headed for a 1 year prove it deal for vet min somewhere.

Then he gets a chance to be a lead back and show what he can do, it's only natural there's some relief there.

In my opinion that EZ celebration wasn't him saying "I'm going to get paid $10m+" as Mitch thinks. It was just him saying "I'm showing what I can do and it's putting more money in the bank".
Love your opinion on this. Spot on. We are going to dog a guy for celebrating a td? Maybe he should have crawled over to the goal post and lifted his leg.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be more against resigning KD if he had 3-4 great years(lots of carries & yards) than having solid years, but without all the wear & tear.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be more against resigning KD if he had 3-4 great years(lots of carries & yards) than having solid years, but without all the wear & tear.

Its a good thing though isn't it?

Were not getting a guy that's worn out from 500 carries a year but has experience and production with plenty left in the tank.

But he's not a top tier back IMO. He's a Tevin Coleman type. Worth 5m per with incentives.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don’t know what you want from this guy. DJ might have ran through that hole but no way he takes it to the house. People calling Drake our for celebrating a TD is ridiculous. I also don’t know what people expect him to say. I’ll play or nickels on a dollar? Ninety nine % of the people that talk about letting him walk is based on thinking we will have to overpay him...except you. You are on record saying you wouldn’t pay him 2m a year.
I want him to be a better player with a record of success before paying him.

I don't want to be on the hook for a mediocre running back for four years. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if Drake goes somewhere else, he fails to run for 1,000 yards again. If he stays here, he might get it by volume, but he won't get it by being good.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
do the Cards beat Cleveland or Seattle without Drake?

i think there is value in winning games late for a rookie HC and QB. Doesnt guarantee anything, but i think it helps push the development along
This...not only that, but how can K1 develop, without the semblance of a full offense to work with?

Drake came in and did his job...and that allowed K1 to develop at a proper pace...it also proved/showed that Kliff can creatively run the ball...and that was super impressive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want him to be a better player with a record of success before paying him.

I don't want to be on the hook for a mediocre running back for four years. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if Drake goes somewhere else, he fails to run for 1,000 yards again. If he stays here, he might get it by volume, but he won't get it by being good.
You playing a risky business doing that with RBs specifically.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake has put up decent numbers in his career. I definitely do not want to overpay him, but I don’t want to see him get underhanded.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You playing a risky business doing that with RBs specifically.
I get what you're saying about his lack of wear and tear. But his lack of wear and tear is because he didn't see the field because he's just not very good. He's alright. But he's not a superstar back and he doesn't deserve to be paid like one.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what you're saying about his lack of wear and tear. But his lack of wear and tear is because he didn't see the field because he's just not very good. He's alright. But he's not a superstar back and he doesn't deserve to be paid like one.
Nobody is going to argue with you about not wanting to overpay Drake. I love Drake & I don’t want the FO to pay him big bucks either. However, I would love to bring him back on a fair deal. He has had a fairly above-average career so & that was under a loser like Gase. Would like to see him having the full knowledge of the playbook now. Not to mention, I would be really scared drafting a RB that doesn’t know how to pass-block like Chase & David.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

David Johnson has been so slow out the gates that I think he gets a 2 or 3 yard loss on that play and there is no way he beats the safety who had that angle.

That said, I am leery of giving more guaranteed money to a running back. I'd bring back Drake for 5 mil a year but if a bidding war breaks out, I'm letting him walk.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at his end zone celebrations about the money sack and the vault. It was all about him getting paid. Not the team, not the great play call, not the timing of the call and not the great blocking to open holes for him. No, it was all about him cashing in on a few great games.

Dr. Phil?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
JMO, but I think that we'll resign him, and a year from now we'll know if that was a good decision. I'm guessing about $5M a year. And since we're probably a year away, we'll keep DJ, and go into 2021 in better CAP shape.
Think it's gonna be well into the 6m+ range.

We need a good WILB and DE, so it depends on what's left.

There will be a couple really good RB's sitting there at pick #40.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave