The Suns next big move

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns next big move: Sign FA Anthony Davis this summer. Championship contender complete.

Remember when Suns fan could speculate about such things and it was not a pipe dream? Those were the days.
LOL

You know the irony? The fact that we didn’t make any moves makes us more likely — at least business wise — to be able to pursue AD. We won’t get him of course, but it IS interesting if it’s part of an AD pipe dream by James Jones and Monty.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL

You know the irony? The fact that we didn’t make any moves makes us more likely — at least business wise — to be able to pursue AD. We won’t get him of course, but it IS interesting if it’s part of an AD pipe dream by James Jones and Monty.

Well. At least they could TRY. Its not happening but there are few teams that could actually compete for him.

Serge might be an idea.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AD does have the Monty connection, which might be enough to get a meeting. Although I'd rather they didn't take a meeting if it weren't realistic but at the same time, a meeting might keep them from overpaying a player who isn't worth it, like the Ariza/Chandler deals of the past.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Trade two 1st rd picks to nuggets for PG J.Murrary

Go after J. Crowder to play PF next season he can stretch the floor.

Hire the best shooting coach possible for Jalen and Diallo.

Hopefully, both Jalen and Diallo improve enough to Avg 8-12 PTS a game off the bench.

PG
Murry, Rubio, Jalen, Carter, Jerome

SG
Booker, Bridges, Jalen, Jerome, Carter

SF
Kelly, Bridges, Cam

PF
J.Crowder, Diallo, Cam, Frank

C
Ayton, Diallo, Frank, FA BIG MAN

I think that the team is at worst 4th in the west next year.

Shooting
Murray, Booker Kelly, Cam, Crowder, Frank

Defense
Kelly, Carter, Bridges, Ayton, Diallo, Crowder

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hopefully, both Jalen and Diallo improve enough to Avg 8-12 PTS a game off the bench.

PG

SG

SF
Kelly, Bridges, Cam

PF

C

Shooting

Defense
I’ll have what he’s smoking!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think they need any big moves. They need an NBA PF who can play some minutes as a Center, a backup PG, and another shooter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

PG

SG

SF
Kelly, Bridges, Cam

PF

C

Shooting

Defense

Denver trading Murray for 2 1st round picks doesn't make any sense for Denver, at all. You could make that 4 1st round picks and it still doesn't make sense for Denver.

They're a title contender, granted they aren't a favorite but they have all of the pieces to put the Lakers or Clippers through one hell of a 7 game series.

Since Jokic and Murray are still fairly young and are signed for the next 4 years, they should compete for many years to come and be favorites in time, provided they keep a stocked team around them, and another superteam doesn't pop up. They aren't trading him for a couple of picks, no chance. They probably wouldn't trade him for Booker because of how well Jokic and Murray compliment each other.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they need any big moves. They need an NBA PF who can play some minutes as a Center, a backup PG, and another shooter.
I think we need a starting pg and a starting pf. Rubios shooting is just a huge limitation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need a starting pg and a starting pf. Rubios shooting is just a huge limitation.

We need a PG of the Future that Rubio can mentor for the next 2 years and can be a competent backup, occasional fill in. That would be sufficient to turn this team into a playoff squad, along with an upgrade at PF. I think Cam, Mikal/Oubre, and Unnamed PG would make up a decent enough bench unit to remain competitive.

We also need a Baynes replacement but I don't think that will be too hard to find. We found Holmes and Baynes quite easily without issue or real cost so I think adding another quality backup to Ayton shouldn't be too hard this offseason. I'm not opposed to Baynes coming back if they added a big in the draft as insurance because Baynes can't be relied on to play big minutes. Resigning Baynes for a little less than he's making now wouldn't be that bad, provided it's not something that happens early in FA unless a C is added in the draft, as noted. Then we'll know the plan is Baynes or that rookie being the 3rd big.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just for the record, I was not seriously suggesting AD, just noting that there was a time when such conjecture would not have seemed silly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just for the record, I was not seriously suggesting AD, just noting that there was a time when such conjecture would not have seemed silly.

If the Lakers had fallen on their face this year I honestly think there would have been a chance, a slim one, but a chance.

But LeBron and Davis clearly enjoy playing together and are, much to my disgust, having a great deal of success.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need a PG of the Future that Rubio can mentor for the next 2 years and can be a competent backup, occasional fill in. That would be sufficient to turn this team into a playoff squad, along with an upgrade at PF. I think Cam, Mikal/Oubre, and Unnamed PG would make up a decent enough bench unit to remain competitive.

We also need a Baynes replacement but I don't think that will be too hard to find. We found Holmes and Baynes quite easily without issue or real cost so I think adding another quality backup to Ayton shouldn't be too hard this offseason. I'm not opposed to Baynes coming back if they added a big in the draft as insurance because Baynes can't be relied on to play big minutes. Resigning Baynes for a little less than he's making now wouldn't be that bad, provided it's not something that happens early in FA unless a C is added in the draft, as noted. Then we'll know the plan is Baynes or that rookie being the 3rd big.

You both are right and I believe Jones will deliver.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we might already have our PG of the future. His name is Jalen Leque.

he needs to be working night and day on his jump shot.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I like the idea of going after Markanan in the offseason.

I hope he will not cost more than our first rounder, but that might be wishful thinking.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

In the long run, yes, but Rubio is a perfectly competent point guard for this team. I think it's also important to note that he appears to have been injured for the last few games. I realize he is not a good shooter, I realize he is not a very quick player, but it has been obvious that he is playing hurt- shots are short, his drives are slower, and he just doesn't look right.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the long run, yes, but Rubio is a perfectly competent point guard for this team. I think it's also important to note that he appears to have been injured for the last few games. I realize he is not a good shooter, I realize he is not a very quick player, but it has been obvious that he is playing hurt- shots are short, his drives are slower, and he just doesn't look right.

If Rubio participates in the Olympics this is not going to help the wear and tear on his body.

I think the participation of Rubio and Baynes in the World Cup put an additional strain on both of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Rubio participates in the Olympics this is not going to help the wear and tear on his body.

I think the participation of Rubio and Baynes in the World Cup put an additional strain on both of them.

I'm wondering if he will participate in the Olympics now that he has a kid. He has to be thinking about managing his time a bit better and the Olympics would be easy to drop. I guess we'll see.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I liked the signing in real time but Rubio has been a disappointment. His durability won’t get any better over the course of his deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if he will participate in the Olympics now that he has a kid. He has to be thinking about managing his time a bit better and the Olympics would be easy to drop. I guess we'll see.

The ties of foreign born players to their home country is very strong and there is tremendous pressure on them to represent their country. Rubio may not want to participate in the Olympic but it's hard for them not to succumb to the pressure. My guess he plays in the Olympics. Probably the same with Baynes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the signing in real time but Rubio has been a disappointment. His durability won’t get any better over the course of his deal.

I especially worry about next season if he plays in the Olympics. International competition has taken it's toll. Maybe if Rubio was younger it wouldn't matter as much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was against pursuing him; I desperately wanted a modern day PG but there are only so many of them around. Other than him being injured a little more than usual, this is the Rubio I expected to see. He's a great teammate and a respected leader but in today's NBA you really need a complete PG and anything less than that will inevitably lead to scouring the market or draft lists for his replacement.

The good news though is that Rubio is probably the best of the "not quite good enough" group and he's a clear upgrade from what we've had the past few years. Hopefully, he'll get healthy soon along with a few other players and he will no longer look like such a weak link when that happens. His contract isn't for that long nor is it that exorbitant to make him a loss when we are able to move him to the backup spot.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was against pursuing him; I desperately wanted a modern day PG but there are only so many of them around. Other than him being injured a little more than usual, this is the Rubio I expected to see. He's a great teammate and a respected leader but in today's NBA you really need a complete PG and anything less than that will inevitably lead to scouring the market or draft lists for his replacement.

The good news though is that Rubio is probably the best of the "not quite good enough" group and he's a clear upgrade from what we've had the past few years. Hopefully, he'll get healthy soon along with a few other players and he will no longer look like such a weak link when that happens. His contract isn't for that long nor is it that exorbitant to make him a loss when we are able to move him to the backup spot.

In real time I liked it because the alternative was Rozier. In hindsight the Rubio > D’Lo takes were pretty bad because the argument was “fit”. There’s no way a worn down Rubio from 30-32 is a better fit than Russell from 23-26, not to mention the Book connection. Of course he was traded to Golden St and agreed to a max deal so it was never a legit option.

:deadhorse:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There’s no way these guys won’t play in the Olympics. It’s not like American ball players. They grew up in their countries basketball academies and feel great pride in their programs. Particularly bc they are both leaders of their programs (if I recall correctly baynes had a really prominent role with Australia).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave