Nuggets @ Suns Saturday game thread 2-8-20

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I am glad that we are back to competing. I really hope we get to see this team at full strength for a stretch before the season is over.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Denver had much more energy in the fourth quarter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver was the rested team and outside of Cam the Suns had no bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We slept in our beds last night. No excuses.

We may have but did the players ;)

Denver is deep. Mike Malone has them playing really well and everyone buys into their role. They really don't have any holes on their roster. They're able to rest their starters in the 3rd and 4th for a final push better than most teams.

I think they'll make it to the Western Conference Finals this years. Last year's run for them was vital for experience and I think they'll be ready to make some noise this year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Turnovers are still a problem.

officiating still gets the best of us.

ayton still needs to slam some of those home.

What I’m most disappointed in are the lack of timeouts and the timing of them from Monty.
They made runs be we didn’t stop the bleeding in time, several times.

Also I feel there could have been a few challenges made as usual per crappy officiating.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Baynes, Saric and Kaminsky are going to remain out the Suns need to use the injury exception for a front court player.

Don't want the healthy players to get worn down.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Denver was the rested team and outside of Cam the Suns had no bench.

If Baynes, Saric and Kaminsky are going to remain out the Suns need to use the injury exception for a front court player.

Don't want the healthy players to get worn down.

That sums it up. Stamina is a key ingredient to shining in the last few minutes, or not. And as the season wears on.

I see that AzStevenCal posted a "like" earlier in this thread. 'Good to see you're (sort of) back, Steve.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Turnovers are still a problem.

officiating still gets the best of us.

ayton still needs to slam some of those home.

What I’m most disappointed in are the lack of timeouts and the timing of them from Monty.
They made runs be we didn’t stop the bleeding in time, several times.

Also I feel there could have been a few challenges made as usual per crappy officiating.

Agree about the timeouts. Was thinking the same thing throughout the game.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thus far, Deandre has not been a difference maker. Circumstances have put that pressure on him.

Number 1 pick. And a Center. The question is . . . can he grow into that role? Either alternative is
reasonable. (A) It will take time. (B) He will continue shying away from contact.

Then there's a (C). Will the Suns assemble a complete team around Booker and him?

All we can do is hope.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns fans, including me, believe the sun rises and sets on the success of Devin Booker.
I'm not so sure anymore. Feed #22.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thus far, Deandre has not been a difference maker. Circumstances have put that pressure on him.

Number 1 pick. And a Center. The question is . . . can he grow into that role? Either alternative is
reasonable. (A) It will take time. (B) He will continue shying away from contact.

Then there's a (C). Will the Suns assemble a complete team around Booker and him?

All we can do is hope.

This is simply... false, we are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better when he is in the game and our record with him is far better than without.

Come on BC, he just outplayed one of the best big men in the league. We lost because Murray was red hot.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am not even upset about this one. They played hard and competed all night. They did about as well as they could do. Denver is a tough team, and the Suns were on the second night of back-to-back games, with three or four rotation players injured. They just need some depth.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is simply... false, we are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better when he is in the game and our record with him is far better than without.

Come on BC, he just outplayed one of the best big men in the league. We lost because Murray was red hot.

Ayton can be quite frustrating at times and if you just focus on the things he can't or doesn't do, he can really drive you up a wall. But if you watch the way everyone else plays out there because of him, it's clear we're a far better team when he is in the game. In November I was convinced we failed to take the best player in the draft but right now I like his chances of becoming the best player in that loaded class.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I said this last year, and I will say it again: the Suns just dont have enough good players. Part of the issue is injuries right now, but even when fully healthy, the team desperately needs another guard who can score off the bench. There are WAY too many guys that just flat out cant consistently put the ball in the bucket.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton can be quite frustrating at times and if you just focus on the things he can't or doesn't do, he can really drive you up a wall. But if you watch the way everyone else plays out there because of him, it's clear we're a far better team when he is in the game. In November I was convinced we failed to take the best player in the draft but right now I like his chances of becoming the best player in that loaded class.

Oh trust me, I shout at the TV when Ayton pulls up for one of his rushed, 14 foot jumpers that clank off the front of the rim, or why he gets in a tip ball war because he didn't just slam the ball home.

But yes, the positives massively outweigh the negative.

His strides on the defensive side of the ball have blown me away. I was one of his backers in the Summer saying he needed time to learn the position, but even I was hoping he would merely evolve from a poor defender into an average one or slightly above. His defensive stats this year are flat out elite, the only player in the league better at altering shots than him this season is Gobert. I never would have guessed we'd see that type of play from him, especially so soon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think I’ll be surprised if he becomes the best. But I think he’ll be better than everyone but doncic. And there will be years where it will be arguable. But of course that will never emerge if the suns suck.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I’ll be surprised if he becomes the best. But I think he’ll be better than everyone but doncic. And there will be years where it will be arguable. But of course that will never emerge if the suns suck.

If Ayton can realize his potential then I think it will be hard for the Suns to suck. Without looking, I can't recall Hakeem's Rockets or Robinson's Spurs missing the playoffs when those 2 were in their primes. I know the league has changed but even Philly became an instant contender when Embiid got healthy. The West isn't the East and it will take more than Ayton to be competitive but Booker is here already and I'll take Booker to Simmons everyday. The Suns have a competent coach in Monty also, which should keep them from underachieving as a whole.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And Book had an off night.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

All we can do is hope.
DA is a huge difference maker on the floor. He is all over the floor defensively and I a good way. He is engaged and participating in the offense. He just outplayed the best center in the league.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said this last year, and I will say it again: the Suns just dont have enough good players. Part of the issue is injuries right now, but even when fully healthy, the team desperately needs another guard who can score off the bench. There are WAY too many guys that just flat out cant consistently put the ball in the bucket.
The biggest offensive limitation is Rubios shooting. There are other things too, but when you watch a pg like Murray you see the difference.