Rockets @ Suns Friday game thread 2-7-20

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The best part of this game was the Rockets resting Westbrook.

Its about time the Suns made a team pay for treating them like a joke.

Two more observations.

Seems like the Suns kept their foot on the gas much better with Saric out.
And it also seemed like they got a boost of post trade deadline anxiety relief.

Not the first time the Suns have had a good game right after the deadline past. Part of the joy of playing for Sarver.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well surely wasn't expecting a blowout win by the suns even if and no westbrook

I missed the gm to tired after work...

Awesome to see obure play lights out :)

Not the best numbers by ayton was his def any good this gm. ..?

Would be amazing if we get a good outcome in tod gm fingers crossed

Good job suns now its about momentum wins for next season....

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Well surely wasn't expecting a blowout win by the suns even if and no westbrook

I missed the gm to tired after work...

Awesome to see obure play lights out :)

Not the best numbers by ayton was his def any good this gm. ..?

Would be amazing if we get a good outcome in tod gm fingers crossed

Good job suns now its about momentum wins for next season....

He made some nice blocks but oddly enough the Suns went on about a 20-2 run when he came out and Dialo came in.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
And Ayton will still lose the jump ball to PJ.

For the record, I don't give a damn about who wins start of game jump balls. If a player loses one that matters later in a game, I might care if they had an obvious height/athletic advantage but I don't see a difference in how that determines the following 48 minutes of action.
For the record, we got this one. Barely.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OTOH, unfortunately, Ayton doesn't know what to do when he gets it. My hope is that he'll figure it out in time and learn what a monster he can be.

I really the hope continuity helps everyone this offseason. If Monty is fired, I'll consider handing in my fan card because that would be one of the worst possible decisions the team could make. Giving Ayton, and others, access to the same staff that will be coaching them next season should help and hopefully it shows Sarver the importance of continuity in coaching. I like Mark Bryant as a big man coach since he was an actual big in the league. Hopefully he and Ayton already have some plans for the summer.

This will be Booker's first year of having the same coach 2 years in a row. Closest he came was Watson getting canned 3 days into the season. He's in his 5th year now, going to be 6th. That's insanity. His buddy D'Lo is on his 4th team and has dealt with less coaching changes, think about that.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I really the hope continuity helps everyone this offseason. If Monty is fired, I'll consider handing in my fan card because that would be one of the worst possible decisions the team could make. Giving Ayton, and others, access to the same staff that will be coaching them next season should help and hopefully it shows Sarver the importance of continuity in coaching. I like Mark Bryant as a big man coach since he was an actual big in the league. Hopefully he and Ayton already have some plans for the summer.

This will be Booker's first year of having the same coach 2 years in a row. Closest he came was Watson getting canned 3 days into the season. He's in his 5th year now, going to be 6th. That's insanity. His buddy D'Lo is on his 4th team and has dealt with less coaching changes, think about that.
There's no way Monty is getting fired. In fact, I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it all the way through his contract and probably more. He may be the first long tenured Suns coach since Gentry(? I'm struggling to remember off the top of my head the last Suns coach with any longevity. For example, how long was D'Antoni here compared to Gentry?).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way Monty is getting fired. In fact, I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it all the way through his contract and probably more. He may be the first long tenured Suns coach since Gentry(? I'm struggling to remember off the top of my head the last Suns coach with any longevity. For example, how long was D'Antoni here compared to Gentry?).

Gentry was here 3 full seasons and 2 1/2 seasons, one to start for Porter and then the other when he was canned for Hunter. He had a long tenure as an assistant here. He was here 5 years as D'Antoni's assistant, joining in Mike's first full season back in 2004-05. It's kind of sad we look to Gentry as the last good coach or consistent coach since we've had 6 since him, Hunter, Hornacek, Watson, Triano, Igor, and now Monty.

I don't see Monty being fired either. That would be beyond idiotic and might actually get Silver's attention. Just never a certainty with this team. Monty seems to like it here and has taken to the players as they have taken to him. You can tell it's a different relationship that wasn't present in years past. Grateful we have him to guide this team going forward.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Gentry was here 3 full seasons and 2 1/2 seasons, one to start for Porter and then the other when he was canned for Hunter. He had a long tenure as an assistant here. He was here 5 years as D'Antoni's assistant, joining in Mike's first full season back in 2004-05. It's kind of sad we look to Gentry as the last good coach or consistent coach since we've had 6 since him, Hunter, Hornacek, Watson, Triano, Igor, and now Monty.

I don't see Monty being fired either. That would be beyond idiotic and might actually get Silver's attention. Just never a certainty with this team. Monty seems to like it here and has taken to the players as they have taken to him. You can tell it's a different relationship that wasn't present in years past. Grateful we have him to guide this team going forward.

Thanks for the recap of the five coaches we've gone through since Gentry. It does highlight that Sarver has hired unqualified people/used them as assistants.

You're right about Monty. He's a victim, just as the Front Office people Sarver has gone through, Booker and the rest of the players and the fans.

In the spirit or "It's always darkest before the dawn.", perhaps Sarver's next indiscretion will be the one to get Silver's attention.

S il VER ... S ar VER. just two letters off. Perhaps their ancestors were related and hit Ellis Island at different times. 'Just a joke, folks. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should have just kept Gentry.

BC. I disagree with you in a mild way here. Sarver's biggest problem is not that he refuses to listen to people. Its that he listens to the wrong people. LHunter was a snake in the grass. He victimized Sarver. I know what you will say. "But that is Sarver's fault." Yes. That is true.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping D'Antoni as the head coach wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thanks for the recap of the five coaches we've gone through since Gentry. It does highlight that Sarver has hired unqualified people/used them as assistants.

You're right about Monty. He's a victim, just as the Front Office people Sarver has gone through, Booker and the rest of the players and the fans.

In the spirit or "It's always darkest before the dawn.", perhaps Sarver's next indiscretion will be the one to get Silver's attention.

S il VER ... S ar VER. just two letters off. Perhaps their ancestors were related and hit Ellis Island at different times. 'Just a joke, folks. :)
A victim? Geez, Monty DID sign the damn contract BC. Nobody put a gun to his head.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just promoting Gentry when Mike left for New York.

I thought Alvin Gentry did become the Suns head coach after D'Antoni went to New York.

No matter how one feels about D'Antoni, he changed the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose