Is it too soon to go for it?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are all aware of the advantages of having a rookie salaried qb. With that in mind do we “ waste” a year of that salary advantage by building for 2021 or do we go for it now?

I think we all underestimate the power of creative financing of the cap. But what does it cost? I wonder how many of us would be willing to sell out right now.

Technically we could sign just about everyone and anyone we want. It would take a whole lot of guaranteed money. It could make us instant contenders or it could sink us into the cellar for years.

So would you be willing to tie up our cap for the next 4 years, and trade future picks for established star players?

For example( just examples!). Trade next years pick for a Dee Ford impact type player. Sign Clowney and Littleton. Grab an experienced WR like Emmanuel Sanders, Amari Copper or A.J. Green. Trade a pick for a top flight tight end like Ertz. Sign Constanza for our LT.

AGAIN, this are just examples of selling out to become a winner. Too much too soon. Not worth the gamble? Can you imagine heading into this years draft without any real needs and simply planning to replace aging players down the road?

If we sign players like Constanza, Clowney and such means we would have to have their replacement ready to replace them when Kyler comes off his rookie contract.

Or do we can stay the course, hope we draft well( gulp!) and develop our players all the while watching the clock tick on Kyler’s rookie contract?

Would you do it?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ertz is a top flight TE???? Hmmm

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's too early. Five or 6 stars can carry a bunch of average guys but I'm not even sure we have the average guys.

Too many rookies we have no clue what they will be. Guys like Alford who missed the year. Too many weaknesses on the O line.

We are miles away.

Put some foundations down this year. Hope some rookies take a leap then take your shot next year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love to get a wr like cooper be better than a usually hurt green

Also constanaza would be huge to protect kyler
Don’t look at the players named. Fill them with names you like. The question is it to soon to go for the brass ring.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is absolutely ridiculous to go for it this year. Our division is still stacked, for one. Our head coach has one really signature win under his belt and has a ton to prove. To @BritCard's point, situations like this only work when there are average players surrounding a few stars, but our drafting has been so terrible that we have no decently priced youth outside of like 3 guys. Two teams in our division have just had Super Bowl appearances, the Seahawks are no joke, and they play the same easy looking schedule we do. There's too much to catch up.

And that's even assuming that there are good available players to fill our holes or upgrade at mediocre positions... this doesn't seem like a year well suited to our needs.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t think we should spend recklessly on any given year but we should be “going for it” every year from here on out. Especially with Kyler on his rookie deal. The 9ers are a perfect example of what can happen on any given year. I thought they were all smoke and mirrors all year but made it all the way to the super bowl. No reason it can’t happen to any team. We need to build the D and add a few pieces on offense

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don’t think we should spend recklessly on any given year but we should be “going for it” every year from here on out. Especially with Kyler on his rookie deal. The 9ers are a perfect example of what can happen on any given year. I thought they were all smoke and mirrors all year but made it all the way to the super bowl. No reason it can’t happen to any team. We need to build the D and add a few pieces on offense
I don't expect every fan to have encyclopedic knowledge of other teams, not everyone is wholly engrossed in the sport outside of the games they catch from time to time.

But if you didn't think the 49ers could have great success, it's because you weren't paying attention.

"No reason it can't happen to any team?" Sure, any given Sunday, but the 49ers were built out of savvy drafting over the course of a few years. We don't have that. The 49ers are young, deep, financially solid, and have enough stars to keep them relevant for years.

I hate the 49ers more than anything. Most of the worst moments in my life have coincided with a 49ers win. They're karmically my enemy, but they did things right building their team.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't expect every fan to have encyclopedic knowledge of other teams, not everyone is wholly engrossed in the sport outside of the games they catch from time to time.

But if you didn't think the 49ers could have great success, it's because you weren't paying attention.

"No reason it can't happen to any team?" Sure, any given Sunday, but the 49ers were built out of savvy drafting over the course of a few years. We don't have that. The 49ers are young, deep, financially solid, and have enough stars to keep them relevant for years.

I hate the 49ers more than anything. Most of the worst moments in my life have coincided with a 49ers win. They're karmically my enemy, but they did things right building their team.

The 49ers built through the trenches, and hit on some later round guys. They did put together a couple of solid drafts in a row (something we haven't done in Keims time as GM)...but dont forget they also spent a #3 overall pick on Solomon Thomas (who is a bordeline bust based on where he was picked) and then traded back up into the first round that year to select Rueben Foster...who I think is in jail.

That same year we picked Reddick, so Im not saying we were better...

I am saying that good teams can overcome bad drafts, when they stick to a philosophy. The 49ers spent 5 straight first round picks in the trenches, and 4 of the 5 have been great...but even Thomas still contributes.

They invest in trench players, then spend their other picks on skill positions. They hit big time on Kittle in the 5th. They seem to have hit on Samuel, etc.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
meanwhile we are wasting 2nd round picks on guys like Isabella. And our division rivals are hitting on guys like DK and Samuel. Still don’t know why Keim hasn’t been kick to the curb.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The 49ers built through the trenches, and hit on some later round guys. They did put together a couple of solid drafts in a row (something we haven't done in Keims time as GM)...but dont forget they also spent a #3 overall pick on Solomon Thomas (who is a bordeline bust based on where he was picked) and then traded back up into the first round that year to select Rueben Foster...who I think is in jail.

That same year we picked Reddick, so Im not saying we were better...

I am saying that good teams can overcome bad drafts, when they stick to a philosophy. The 49ers spent 5 straight first round picks in the trenches, and 4 of the 5 have been great...but even Thomas still contributes.

They invest in trench players, then spend their other picks on skill positions. They hit big time on Kittle in the 5th. They seem to have hit on Samuel, etc.
Good teams can overcome a bad draft. Bad teams are teams that have drafted like Steve Keim, who has drafted three players (four if we bring back Humphries) projected to start next year in 53 career picks over 7 drafts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Most prognosticators didnt select the Niners to go as far as they did.

Sure they improved their pass rush through personnel moves, but this time last year the Niners secondary was considered among the worst in the past ten years or so. Arik Armstead was a bust. Basically what I'm saying is that a whole lot "ifs" had to come true for them to have the success they did.

Could this happen to the Cardinals? It could and it has in the past, but it isnt likely.

Imagine the resign Humphries, sign Jordan Jenkins, Derek Wolfe, and Mark Barron for the defense. They then shock the NFL and sign Amari Cooper. Draft Tristan Wirfs. That's a team that can beat the Rams and the Seahawks. Then they split with the Niners and make a Wildcard. It can happen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Most prognosticators didnt select the Niners to go as far as they did.

Sure they improved their pass rush through personnel moves, but this time last year the Niners secondary was considered among the worst in the past ten years or so. Arik Armstead was a bust. Basically what I'm saying is that a whole lot "ifs" had to come true for them to have the success they did.

Could this happen to the Cardinals? It could and it has in the past, but it isnt likely.

Imagine the resign Humphries, sign Jordan Jenkins, Derek Wolfe, and Mark Barron for the defense. They then shock the NFL and sign Amari Cooper. Draft Tristan Wirfs. That's a team that can beat the Rams and the Seahawks. Then they split with the Niners and make a Wildcard. It can happen.
No one expected the 49ers to go to the Super Bowl, no, but at least to be good.

Sure, anything can happen. The Dolphins could be in the Super Bowl on the back of Josh Rosen. The question to it all is if it's likely and worth sacrificing future success to swing for the fences now. I'm tired of swinging for the fences and whiffing. Can't we build a consistent, winning roster instead? Wouldn't that be nice?