Lance Zierlein First Mock Draft

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For sure man, we both have our guys we trust and don't.

I think I should rephrase that, meaning I do not think these tackles are that sure to pan out but might have the potential to be great. Of course there is always that possibility but I think the others are safer bets
I have to agree with you here. I'm all for improving our OL, but at 8, you have to go BPA (except QB). If there's a defensive stud or even a WR that is clearly better at their craft than an OT is at his, then we have to go that route. I'm not sold on trading back just yet. When the Niners had their long run at top 10 talent, did they trade back? I'm not sure. Or did they take the stud that was available when they were up? I think it was the latter & obviously it has worked well for them. Top 10 talent is hard to pass up on. I just don't see any of these O-Linemen that are clear cut studs. I do see guys like Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy/Lamb with higher potential & less risk. I'm not 100% sold on Brown. There's something about that dude that concerns me. I'm probably wrong on that, so he's yet another guy that may deserve a better look than these OT's.

I really like Wirfs as a possible RT, but for me to say he's better than a guy like Jeudy or Brown at their respective positions is a reach in my book. I look at all these OTs and they also seem to come with a shiny caveat next to their scouting which may or may not be viable in this gamble we call the draft

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@Chopper0080

Unless something happens medically from now to draft, this is my finalized mock:

R1 - Wirfs
R2 - Ross Blacklock
R3 - Quartney Davis
R4 - Michael Ojemudia
R6 - Josiah Deguara
R7 - Idk yet
FA is going to determine a lot for me. I think your positions that are drafted are pretty accurate though I am guessing an edge player finds it's way in the group. Should be some good value at CB and WR that I hope we take advantage of. Same for TE.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Zierlein was on Daniel Jeremiah's podcast.

some notes that pertain to top 10 guys / Cards:

DJ has Derrick Brown rated equal to Chase Young. Zierlein has Young at a 7.3 and Brown at a 7.19 --very close. Both said that Brown not only has freakish physical ability, but this past year his motor never quit. All out / all the time. Noted that this distinguished him from Kinlaw - who ran hot and cold this year.

Isiah Simmons described as "nobody else like him in this draft. A one of a kind player".

DJ thought once OTs start to get taken -- they will come off the board quickly. Wills, Wirf, Thomas and Becton. Described it as a high end tackle draft with these four.

Not hard to imagine a scenario where three QBs and the top 4 defensive players: Young, Okudah, Brown, Simmons go in the top 7.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That assumes that we’re going to air it out more so than continuing to explore the #RunRaid. I doubt KK will be going back how he called plays in the 1st 4 games of the season.

Willis’ false starts is easier to fix than his technique, balance, & footwork, imo. I’m fine with either Wirfs or Willis over Thomas by a good amount, especially in the ZBS.
I don't think he will go back to calling plays like that either, not as much as the first 4 games anyway. He will use 10 personnel more than any other NFL team imo & especially if he gets a true #1 WR with blazing speed. If Isaballa & Butler pan out (big ifs right now) he may use it more maybe? Just don't see him using it 60-70% of the time like the first 4 games from this point forward. Considering how we were multi dimensional with the run game from 11 & 12 personnel & he saw how effective it is. Jmo.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Kinlaw alot, but my reasoning for going offensive line is that Murray is the present and future of the Cardinals. Build a good offensive line first.
That needs to be fixed yes, protect our QB. I have no problem drafting an OT with a 1st or 2nd rd pick but Humphries needs to be resigned first (franchise tag) as long as we fix the DL in FA. Our DL is the weakest spot on the team. I keep saying I want Derrick Brown at #8, still do, but that could change depending on who we sign for the DL in FA, if at all? I know it would cost an arm & a leg, but how sweet would this DL be if we could sign Arik Armstead & Chris Jones lol? There would be no cap money left after that, I can wish though lol. We need another edge rusher also and an ILB.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to agree with you here. I'm all for improving our OL, but at 8, you have to go BPA (except QB). If there's a defensive stud or even a WR that is clearly better at their craft than an OT is at his, then we have to go that route. I'm not sold on trading back just yet. When the Niners had their long run at top 10 talent, did they trade back? I'm not sure. Or did they take the stud that was available when they were up? I think it was the latter & obviously it has worked well for them. Top 10 talent is hard to pass up on. I just don't see any of these O-Linemen that are clear cut studs. I do see guys like Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy/Lamb with higher potential & less risk. I'm not 100% sold on Brown. There's something about that dude that concerns me. I'm probably wrong on that, so he's yet another guy that may deserve a better look than these OT's.
You are definitely wrong on Derrick Brown my friend lol. No concerns for me with him. I have no idea how many Auburn games you watched this past season? I'm an SEC guy through & through as you already know. I watched a ton of Auburn games the last 3 yrs, DVR'd many to watch after leaving the Kentucky games. That dude is an absolute beast. Pocket collapser, disruptive, in the backfield all the time, making the QB move. Closest thing to Darnell Dockett I've seen in yrs with the exception being Aaron Donald. If you were able, ask all the opposing coaches in the SEC who they feared the most on that Auburn defense. I guarantee you the answer would always be Derrick Brown.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are definitely wrong on Derrick Brown my friend lol. No concerns for me with him. I have no idea how many Auburn games you watched this past season? I'm an SEC guy through & through as you already know. I watched a ton of Auburn games the last 3 yrs, DVR'd many to watch after leaving the Kentucky games. That dude is an absolute beast. Pocket collapser, disruptive, in the backfield all the time, making the QB move. Closest thing to Darnell Dockett I've seen in yrs with the exception being Aaron Donald. If you were able, ask all the opposing coaches in the SEC who they feared the most on that Auburn defense. I guarantee you the answer would always be Derrick Brown.
Thanks for sharing your take on Derrick Brown. You are correct that I had not seen enough of Auburn this year to make a fair judgment. I really do want to go back and watch some Auburn tape. The only Auburn game I watched start to finish was vs Alabama. And even though I didn’t isolate on him, I can’t quite remember how well he played. I’m pretty sure that I did admit that I was probably wrong having concerns about the kid. I do hope you’re right & there’s yet another great player available in the top 10.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your take on Derrick Brown. You are correct that I had not seen enough of Auburn this year to make a fair judgment. I really do want to go back and watch some Auburn tape. The only Auburn game I watched start to finish was vs Alabama. And even though I didn’t isolate on him, I can’t quite remember how well he played. I’m pretty sure that I did admit that I was probably wrong having concerns about the kid. I do hope you’re right & there’s yet another great player available in the top 10.

IMO I think drafting brown is not the right plan
Our roster has several holes and there are many good defensive lineman available in march, so it can be upgraded through free agency
If we had a solid all around roster I would be happy to go with brown, but that's not our case

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Definitely watch the tape of this yrs "iron bowl" game. He was constantly in the backfield & made life a living hell for Matt Jones (Tuas backup) the kid is a beast. Explosive first step, pushes his man back in the pocket, very quick on the snap. He's huge & would free up Chandler Jones big time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zierlein was on Daniel Jeremiah's podcast.

some notes that pertain to top 10 guys / Cards:

DJ has Derrick Brown rated equal to Chase Young. Zierlein has Young at a 7.3 and Brown at a 7.19 --very close. Both said that Brown not only has freakish physical ability, but this past year his motor never quit. All out / all the time. Noted that this distinguished him from Kinlaw - who ran hot and cold this year.

Isiah Simmons described as "nobody else like him in this draft. A one of a kind player".

DJ thought once OTs start to get taken -- they will come off the board quickly. Wills, Wirf, Thomas and Becton. Described it as a high end tackle draft with these four.

Not hard to imagine a scenario where three QBs and the top 4 defensive players: Young, Okudah, Brown, Simmons go in the top 7.
Derrick Brown is really good. If I didn't have concerns about protecting Murray, I would be really happy with one of DBrown, CYoung, Okudah, and Simmons.

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I would replace at least two of our current Oline players, I won’t name names. We also need depth so we need to get 3 all star players and then we also need a couple Dline players and a CB and a linebacker that can cover the best tight ends.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson