2020 Draft

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t view him as terrible. I just think he’s worse than I anticipated. I also think he’s an NBA player. But I’d prefer him in a backup role.
I thought Kaminsky would be better than Saric.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don’t view him as terrible. I just think he’s worse than I anticipated. I also think he’s an NBA player. But I’d prefer him in a backup role.
If his skills complement those of our backup Center, whoever that will be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you and I differ on how good Saric is. I do not see him as terrible. He is a role player starter and decent as a back up. But he is a real NBA player. Jones has to populate this roster with real NBA players after the years of g-league play we have endured.

I wonder if we will keep Saric or not. That will be interesting.

he's not a role player starter on a good team. he's a bad starter... which is why he's bounced from three teams in two years.

he's a solid back up big. that what his role is and should be.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
he's not a role player starter on a good team. he's a bad starter... which is why he's bounced from three teams in two years.

he's a solid back up big. that what his role is and should be.

A solid back-up big on a bad team. Any team that wants to be good has him as #12, 13 or 14 on the roster at best. Someone who can get hot once every 5 or 6 games but who otherwise shouldn't see the floor at all. The big man equivalent of Elie Okobo.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Also back to the topic, I'm not so thrilled about Carey. I think that Okongwu clearly while Stewart probably is a better bigman prospect than Carey.

Another intriguing player is sophomore bigman Daniel Oturu from Minnesota.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397215/daniel-oturu
Oturu is an interesting prospect who has been shooting up the mock draft boards. I haven’t gotten a chance to watch anything more than highlights but he is definitely someone to keep an eye on.

JerkFace

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also back to the topic, I'm not so thrilled about Carey. I think that Okongwu clearly while Stewart probably is a better bigman prospect than Carey.

Another intriguing player is sophomore bigman Daniel Oturu from Minnesota.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397215/daniel-oturu

I love Okongwu although I have to admit I'm not sure what his offensive position is. he's really a 5 right now, undersized but has a 7 foot plus reach and can jump. He's bulked up considerably the last 2 years and not really lost any athleticism. He's a natural shot blocker, he rebounds and his offense is coming along. Everyone knows he was the 5 with the Ball brothers but he's an interesting kid beyond that. He actually used to be an aspiring skateboarder when younger, then his older brother fell and hit his head and died. I remember hearing that story because the brother played hoops too and was good friends with Lonzo Ball at the time he passed away.

I love Stewart but I have to say I was surprised how bothered he seemed to be last night inside against Arizona, he missed a bunch of easy shots, shots he never misses, I have to assume he was bothered by the size. He has a Michael cage style frame but is more athletic, terrific rebounder but I was surprised how much he struggled to finish against Arizona was expecting him to just overpower Nnaji.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Now that the craptastic trade deadline has passed and we still have our first round pick it is time to get back to focusing on the different prospects in this years class. I think we should target a PF so my biggest question is which of the big men fit best at PF next to Ayton. In my eyes Obi Toppin is the only true PF in our draft range. The question is can Isaiah Stewart, Onyeka Okongwu, or Vernon Carey Jr fit next to Ayton. On the surface they each seem better suited for the Center position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now that the craptastic trade deadline has passed and we still have our first round pick it is time to get back to focusing on the different prospects in this years class. I think we should target a PF so my biggest question is which of the big men fit best at PF next to Ayton. In my eyes Obi Toppin is the only true PF in our draft range. The question is can Isaiah Stewart, Onyeka Okongwu, or Vernon Carey Jr fit next to Ayton. On the surface they each seem better suited for the Center position.

And Toppin is undersized. I maintain that Carey is the best option for us in the draft.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think looking at draft picks is pointless.

Unless we win the lottery and get into the top 3 I would bet almost anything the pick will be traded for a player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are all 5's IMO. I like Stewart but he does have a bit of a weird body I wonder how he'll hold up to an 82 game schedule. I guess Michael Cage had a similar build and played for years. Stewart has to extend his range to play the 4.

Okongwu is legit but he's a 5. He might be able to play with Ayton if you play Ayton away from the rim more, Okongwu can really rim protect.

JerkFace

Reaction score

Unless we win the lottery and get into the top 3 I would bet almost anything the pick will be traded for a player.
It's not pointless if it's enjoyable :) I love the draft, but you are right, I also think there is a pretty good chance we ultimately trade the pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Great. Another Dario freaking Saric.

Rinse and repeat...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
And there's the rub. The trade had to be made on the assumption that Saric had potential as a long-term piece. He's a lottery pick still on his rookie deal, and he appeared to fill a position of need. The fact that Saric has been terrible puts more pressure on Johnson to justify the deal, and that's asking too much of him.

Essentially the Suns made a one-for-two trade and fell victim to what often happens in those cases, which is that neither of the two players coming in has value over a random replacement player, so as far as the trade is concerned they don't count as assets at all.

Yep, there just isn't a point to drafting guys that have a ceiling of decent bench role player...the league is full of those guys, and they're always available.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep, there just isn't a point to drafting guys that have a ceiling of decent bench role player...the league is full of those guys, and they're always available.

And yet Jones drafted two of them, trading a future first round pick for the second.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And Toppin is undersized. I maintain that Carey is the best option for us in the draft.
It makes me question myself that I am looking at these two players as well. I have Toppin over Carey. I thought you would have as well as the knock on Carey is he's not the most athletic forward prospect.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It makes me question myself that I am looking at these two players as well. I have Toppin over Carey. I thought you would have as well as the knock on Carey is he's not the most athletic forward prospect.

He is athletic enough, and he is strong, tough, protects the rim, rebounds and can even hit the outside shot a bit (he is shooting 41% from 3).

I wouldn't mind Toppin, but I am concerned he is undersized and not much of a rim protector, and that he would get pushed around in the NBA.

I see Toppin as a Thaddeus Young type, while I see Carey as a Domantas Sabonis type.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
And yet Jones drafted two of them, trading a future first round pick for the second.

You'll get no Jones support here - he turned the #6 pick in a decent draft into an oft injured rookie grandpa who at best is a facsimile of Jones himself. That makes no mention of Saric, who is almost certainly gone - no team would even give up a 2nd round pick for a playoff run? The Suns were asking for a first round pick for Saric! I'm sure every GM laughed as they hung up. Baynes - same thing. He must be injured, because its impossible for me to believe they couldn't at least get a 2nd for Baynes.

Where are the good moves? Rubio is cooked, Kaminsky is barely hanging on as an NBA player, and the rest of the roster is completely forgettable. Is Oubre considered a win? The hilarious circumstances of the Grizz and the wrong Brooks, and Oubre's up and down performance makes it questionable. I'd venture less than half the board would be comfortable paying Oubre 15+ mil moving forward.

I'm most puzzled by Jones saying he's content - this team is not 1 or 2 players away from putting together a playoff ready roster. Our best player is showing open frustration on the court, and he's not the only one. I just don't see the plan - maybe someone here has good explanation?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You'll get no Jones support here - he turned the #6 pick in a decent draft into an oft injured rookie grandpa who at best is a facsimile of Jones himself. That makes no mention of Saric, who is almost certainly gone - no team would even give up a 2nd round pick for a playoff run? The Suns were asking for a first round pick for Saric! I'm sure every GM laughed as they hung up. Baynes - same thing. He must be injured, because its impossible for me to believe they couldn't at least get a 2nd for Baynes.

Where are the good moves? Rubio is cooked, Kaminsky is barely hanging on as an NBA player, and the rest of the roster is completely forgettable. Is Oubre considered a win? The hilarious circumstances of the Grizz and the wrong Brooks, and Oubre's up and down performance makes it questionable. I'd venture less than half the board would be comfortable paying Oubre 15+ mil moving forward.

I'm most puzzled by Jones saying he's content - this team is not 1 or 2 players away from putting together a playoff ready roster. Our best player is showing open frustration on the court, and he's not the only one. I just don't see the plan - maybe someone here has good explanation?

Sabotage.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

And we don't have a closer. It is disappointing that Book has not filled that role or earned the reputation.

Ayton has not developed the skill or style to take over a game.

The closest we have to a closer is Oubre. With the game on the line, he's the one I want with the ball.

What are your thoughts about that, guys?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And we don't have a closer. It is disappointing that Book has not filled that role or earned the reputation.

Ayton has not developed the skill or style to take over a game.

The closest we have to a closer is Oubre. With the game on the line, he's the one I want with the ball.

What are your thoughts about that, guys?

Good teams run a team offense at the end of the game and the idea of a "closer" in the NBA is nonsense.

The Jordan Bulls won plenty of games with complimentary players hitting game winners. Kobe had more airballs tipped in for winners at the buzzer in the playoffs than he hit himself.

Furthermore, Booker has consistently been one of the best clutch shooters since he entered the league, he just faces the teeth of the defense late in games. It would be helpful to become LESS predictable and not try to force the offense through one player late.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose