NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JC, we’re already better than last year and haven’t had a full compliment of a team for the entire season! Good lord.

How has the team improved really?

Rubio is not what you want as a starting PG, and we are stuck with him two more years.

we shipped off warren for negative assets.

His two draft picks are Career bench players at best.

every other player he brought in has busted.

Monty is the only reason the team has a better record, the overall personnel might actually be worse.

If we had just kept Holmes and Melton, we would be better off, and have our backup pg and center positions taken care of.

I really can’t see how anyone can approve of what James Jones has done so far.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How has the team improved really?

Rubio is not what you want as a starting PG, and we are stuck with him two more years.

we shipped off warren for negative assets.

His two draft picks are Career bench players at best.

every other player he brought in has busted.

Monty is the only reason the team has a better record, the overall personnel might actually be worse.

If we had just kept Holmes and Melton, we would be better off, and have our backup pg and center positions taken care of.

I really can’t see how anyone can approve of what James Jones has done so far.
Do you actually think that if Ayton hadn’t been an idiot, we’d have the same amount of wins? Come on.

and that’s just ONE if the reasons.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think they must be tanking. There is no other rational explanation.

Tanking for what? In this draft with zero distinguishable talent up top, pick #15 is just as likely to yield a core player as pick #1. Meanwhile, you tick off your existing core in Booker and Ayton, who are sick of tanking (especially Booker), you reinforce a losing culture, you run your remaining healthy players into the ground and risk serious long-term injury in the process, you look that much less attractive to prospective free agents (who want to join a team with a commitment to winning), and you continue to alienate your fan base in the process.

After five freaking years of tanking, how about something new and novel: How about trying to WIN for a change???

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you actually think that if Ayton hadn’t been an idiot, we’d have the same amount of wins? Come on.

Well, the team IS 13-28 in their last 41 games, only 15 of which had Ayton suspended...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Ayton, so far, has been a stats machine. He is not consistent. He has not
been a difference maker.

He is not aggressive. He shies away from contact. The Suns have lost a lot
of close games, with or without him.

Unless and until we see otherwise (beyond a game here or there), you can't
assume our record would be any different. How do we know that? Look at
the team's record since he returned to the lineup.

And that is with Mark Bryant trying to mentor him.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Ayton, so far, has been a stats machine. He is not consistent. He has not
been a difference maker.

He is not aggressive. He shies away from contact. The Suns have lost a lot
of close games, with or without him.

Unless and until we see otherwise (beyond a game here or there), you can't
assume our record would be any different. How do we know that? Look at
the team's record since he returned to the lineup.

And that is with Mark Bryant trying to mentor him.
Well, the team IS 13-28 in their last 41 games, only 15 of which had Ayton suspended...
They are 9-12 with him in the lineup and 11-19 without him. We can naturally assume they would have a better record if he wasn’t suspended... Especially when you consider that the 9-12 record includes the ridiculous amount of injuries over the last few games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.br...oenix-suns-eligible-injury-hardship-exception

To make matters worse, the Suns are eligible for an injury hardship exception and apparently do not intend to use it, instead voluntarily moving forward with a depleted roster.

I am now back to wondering if either 1) Robert Sarver is back to the same extreme penny pinching that had him selling off first round draft picks; and/or 2) James Jones is in fact actively sabotaging this franchise, perhaps either in retribution for how he was treated here by Sarver or else as a favor to his buddy LeBron...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. Let’s not forget him being out jacked with the long term chemistry of this team as well.

It’s dumb to think without Ayton they would have the same wins. That’s ridiculous. Especially, with all the other injuries.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They are 9-12 with him in the lineup and 11-19 without him. We can naturally assume they would have a better record if he wasn’t suspended... Especially when you consider that the 9-12 record includes the ridiculous amount of injuries over the last few games.

Because of course this team aspires to a .428 winning percentage...

And we keep sustaining injuries because Sarver in his infinite wisdom got rid of our training staff and replaced it with a bunch of newbies, and now instead of replenishing the roster they are choosing to proceed with less players, who they will continue to run into the ground.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Because of course this team aspires to a .428 winning percentage...

And we keep sustaining injuries because Sarver in his infinite wisdom got rid of our training staff and replaced it with a bunch of newbies, and now instead of replenishing the roster they are choosing to proceed with less players, who they will continue to run into the ground.
What we do or don’t aspire to is irrelevant to my response. I was only commenting on the discussion of if we would have a better record with Ayton playing all year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Ayton plays and we have even the least bit of depth we're over .500.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wiggins as the 4th best player on a team is intriguing.

I'm pretty sure Wiggins current play would put him as the 4th best guy, regardless of what roster he is on. We're a lousy team and Booker, Ayton and Oubre are unquestionably better players, and I'd put Bridges and Rubio over him too.

There is a reason the Wolves had to throw in a virtually unprotected pick in the super deep 2021 draft as an incentive in that trade.

Maybe Kerr, the Warriors system and their veterans can turn him around, but in comparison to his pre-NBA hype to his current status, he has been one of the bigger busts in NBA history. The dude is a bad player right now, meh efficiency and doesn't even pretend to care on defense.

On the Warriors end, I think the trade was about the pick. Their cap situation is a disaster so taking on his putrid contract makes no difference in their ability to sign players. Instead they let the Wolves keep their pick in this trash draft while banking on that the Wolves will continue to be garbage next season (a safe bet IMO), allowing the Warriors to draft a potential star in 2021.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Wiggins current play would put him as the 4th best guy, regardless of what roster he is on. We're a lousy team and Booker, Ayton and Oubre are unquestionably better players, and I'd put Bridges and Rubio over him too.

There is a reason the Wolves had to throw in a virtually unprotected pick in the super deep 2021 draft as an incentive in that trade.

Maybe Kerr, the Warriors system and their veterans can turn him around, but in comparison to his pre-NBA hype to his current status, he has been one of the bigger busts in NBA history. The dude is a bad player right now, meh efficiency and doesn't even pretend to care on defense.

On the Warriors end, I think the trade was about the pick. Their cap situation is a disaster so taking on his putrid contract makes no difference in their ability to sign players. Instead they let the Wolves keep their pick in this trash draft while banking on that the Wolves will continue to be garbage next season (a safe bet IMO), allowing the Warriors to draft a potential star in 2021.

Wiggins would be our second best player, and by a wide margin. This illustrates the extreme gap between the Suns and ant decent NBA team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiggins as the 4th best player on a team is intriguing.

He sure made a hell of an awkward entrance. Posted a video on Instagram of Drake saying "Yay area" which people quickly pointed out was bizarre given Drake is the guy who spent the whole Finals last year trolling the Warriors and fans as the most famous Raptor fan.

I don't think Wiggins grasped how his post was perceived by fans

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the best the pick can be is 4th in 21, or better in 22 which isn't as good a draft so I guess they want 4th in 21.

NBC Sports came out with something today I found interesting but not surprising, said it took not long at all for people with the Warriors to decide D Lo wasn't a long term fit. Very early on Draymond publicly said D Lo played really well on defense in a game and "now we expect that every game. We know he can do it now. Before we didn't, we didn't know did anybody ever demand defense from him or not. We do, and now we know he can do it, he has to do it every night." that coupled with his ball dominance they decided quickly he didn't fit their roster with Klay and Steph back.

He kind of grew on me, i was fine with trading him, just not for Wiggins. Would have been much happier if they worked a multi team trade and got Joe Harris. That could have been their payback to Durant, stick him with Wiggins!

JerkFace

Reaction score
the best the pick can be is 4th in 21, or better in 22 which isn't as good a draft so I guess they want 4th in 21.
22 is the rumored year that they will start allowing high schoolers to enter the draft, so it could very well turn out much stronger than it is initially looking.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
22 is the rumored year that they will start allowing high schoolers to enter the draft, so it could very well turn out much stronger than it is initially looking.

Yeah good point I wasn't considering.

That actually makes a big difference since if true, 22 could very well be the Emoni Bates draft where he'd be projected #1 overall. Just found an article where a scout said I've been telling NBA teams for awhile now get every pick you can in 22, that's a 2 year class if they allow HS to NBA again, you'll get a guy at 25 who would have been a lottery pick in a normal year because it's a "double draft."

Makes a little more sense to me now. Still don't like Wiggins.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burke is better than any of the players behind Rubio. This makes no sense.

Wish I had the answer. Trey would certainly improve the Suns shooting.

Maybe they want to give any extra minutes to Lecque.