The Athletic Trade Scenarios

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to balk at first, but you're probably right.

I don't really like the trade. A third rounder means nothing to me, but this is basically like handing them back the same deal they did us to come get Rosen.
Wait a third rounder means nothing to you but you railing about all the lost draft capital when Rosen was traded away? You must’ve really valued the fifth that we traded away . . .

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wait a third rounder means nothing to you but you railing about all the lost draft capital when Rosen was traded away? You must’ve really valued the fifth that we traded away . . .
I'm struggling to express how these are separate issues in my mind despite the pick being in the same round. We got 13 started games out of three picks, even counting Isabella in the equation. That's really frustrating.

In this situation we add a third rounder, but Keim has done a really bad job getting contribution out of third round picks anyways, so I don't want to lose out on a more talented player just to add a backup or player we will replace in 2021 like we've been doing.

If you get the guy you covet all along, no big deal, but that third rounder just isn't that alluring to take the risk of watching us move and have Lamb and Jeudy pilfered right from under us while we panic and take Tee Higgins (not trying to knock Higgins, just using him as an example) or our 3rd rated OL.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In this situation we add a third rounder, but Keim has done a really bad job getting contribution out of third round picks anyways,

Mathieu, John Brown and David Johnson were all third rounders

yes, so was Chad Williams and Brandon Williams - but id argue the 3rd round might be his best round

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Imagine we trade down to #12...passing on Simmons, and then Lamb, Jeudy, and Wirfs all go before we pick at #12.

This board would lose their minds if we missed out on all the "blue chip" prospects to pick up an extra 3rd.

If this trade was actually offered up, I would pull an NBA move and say "We are going to draft Simmons at #8. If we get to #12 and Lamb or Jeudy is there...the Raiders can draft him...and then we exchange rights along with some extra picks.

I would not leave it up to chance that a player we want would fall to 12.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not drafting Lamb or Juedy in round 1 in the top 15. WR is nice but we need help in the trenches badly

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Thanks for asking but I don’t suggest stuff to The Athletic.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the NFLPA agree to this?

NFL is the only major league that has this organization and it has done nothing to depress salaries in other sports.

Like I said, it could just as easily raise salaries ad depress them

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
NFL is the only major league that has this organization and it has done nothing to depress salaries in other sports.

I've already brought it up, but the real thing stopping this is the relationship between the NCAA and NFL.

Kids preparing for the NFL draft are just going to forego more and more Bowl Games if they only have until March to work out and do this whole thing.

Not to mention, the field of players that has to be evaluated is SUCH a huge undertaking, something a team in the Super Bowl can't possibly put together. Evaluating pro personnel is such an easier process. When would you hold the combine? Pro Days? In FA, the entirety of active or practice squad players to evaluate at any given time (in-season) is 1,858, and the available FAs of worth are more like 100. Not to mention, many coaches and teams have played against or with these players already, and are evaluating film.

There are, on average, 3,500 draft-eligible prospects in a given draft. You're talking about 45 days to provide coaches in the Super Bowl to evaluate players, attend the Combine and pro days, build a board, and go for it. That's nearly 78 players per day. Continuing to break it out, even working 14 hour days with no weekends, you're talking about committing to beginning and finalizing evaluations at a rate of 5.5 players per hour.

Yes, scouts are meant to narrow this entire window and provide their thoughts on some of these guys, but it's still an insane undertaking.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Imagine we trade down to #12...passing on Simmons, and then Lamb, Jeudy, and Wirfs all go before we pick at #12.

This board would lose their minds if we missed out on all the "blue chip" prospects to pick up an extra 3rd.

If this trade was actually offered up, I would pull an NBA move and say "We are going to draft Simmons at #8. If we get to #12 and Lamb or Jeudy is there...the Raiders can draft him...and then we exchange rights along with some extra picks.

I would not leave it up to chance that a player we want would fall to 12.

Yes. If Derrick Brown is at 12 I would definitely lose my mind. :D

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody wanting to move up it’s a simple as this. You fleece them. THEY want to move up for a player they covet.

Also read the description of Simmons. Is there any team in the draft that couldn’t use a player like that? If Simmons is there and the Raiders want him that bad I want an additional #1 and a fourth and not a penny less.

I don’t think Simmons will be there. If he is, regardless of what we do in free agency, you take him and smile. He will immediately either force his way into the staring lineup or at the very least he will be in every nickel and sub package this defense could dream up.

He can cover. He can blitz. He can tackle. He could even fill in at safety and at times be a nickel corner. If the Cards can’t significantly upgrade at ILB in free agency then Simmons steps in from day one.

IF Simmons, Young and Okudah are gone by the time we are on the podium, then I love the trade mentioned above. If any of those 3 are available I stay right where I am and make the pick.

I was going to say the same. A 3rd and a 5th seem low. That's what we paid to move up to 10th for Rosen.

I'd want a 2nd and a 5th AND next years 2nd. Then I could live with trading back and picking up a WR in this scenario.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
One can use the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk" to describe the current situation which is Keim with the Cardinals. The scene where Martin's character says he's going to bounce back and needs nothing extra (as in past drafts which much like the oil can scene tend to always be defective) but he actually needs all the picks he can get

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Great movie! Remember these wise words....The Lord loves a working man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Remember to always stand up to atrocities like this: Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Stop! Stop! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Good. Father, could there be a God that would let this happen?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

How so? The NFLPA represents existing players. By definition, the draft pushes out a half-dozen or so players on each team. Players who would at least get a signing bonus in free agency would now be in the position to be a Keim Time Signing every year.

The NFL is the only major league where you anticipate that your first 3 picks are going to make the roster and contribute in the first year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? The NFLPA represents existing players. By definition, the draft pushes out a half-dozen or so players on each team. Players who would at least get a signing bonus in free agency would now be in the position to be a Keim Time Signing every year.

The NFL is the only major league where you anticipate that your first 3 picks are going to make the roster and contribute in the first year.

Certainly in basketball at least 50% of the league anticipates their lottery 1st round pick will make the roster and contribute. It really goes beyond the lottery. First 20 picks should be contributors on their team. So 1/14 = 7% *0.6 = 4.2%

Football 3/53 = 5.6%

It isn't this giant disparity.

And the primary driver of that said disparity is the aforementioned NCAA. That at least I agree with.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we trade back with a team like Indy for their #34, #75, & a 3rd in 2021, I’ll be all for Lamb then.

Lamb
Cushenberry
Niang

Would be a great start if we go primarily defense in FA.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anybody wanting to move up it’s a simple as this. You fleece them. THEY want to move up for a player they covet.

Also read the description of Simmons. Is there any team in the draft that couldn’t use a player like that? If Simmons is there and the Raiders want him that bad I want an additional #1 and a fourth and not a penny less.

I don’t think Simmons will be there. If he is, regardless of what we do in free agency, you take him and smile. He will immediately either force his way into the staring lineup or at the very least he will be in every nickel and sub package this defense could dream up.

He can cover. He can blitz. He can tackle. He could even fill in at safety and at times be a nickel corner. If the Cards can’t significantly upgrade at ILB in free agency then Simmons steps in from day one.

IF Simmons, Young and Okudah are gone by the time we are on the podium, then I love the trade mentioned above. If any of those 3 are available I stay right where I am and make the pick.
Carolina will either take Simmons, Brown or a QB imo. Hopefully they take a QB?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave