Kyler Murray is named OROY

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I font think anyone is questioning whether or not Murray is the QBOF. He absolutely is. What remains to be seen is he going to be a successful QBOF. I think we all hope he is and may be getting into a semantics battle.
He has had a nice start but, as has been pointed out, first year success doesn’t guarantee future success.

I can’t see anybody hoping he fails.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Baker will now be going onto his 3 rd coach. You don’t think that has hurt him just a little?
Sure. We have no idea how it will affect him in season 3, but season 2 was bad. However, Baker's best play came around the time Hue Jackson was fired, and Kitchens became his OC... so there's some consistency from the end of 2018 to this year. And you can't pretend Mayfield wasn't handed a ton of excuses to have a great year.

Wow, so now this thread has devolved into Baker Mayfield is also washed up now after only two seasons? I have got to stay away from those who have expectations on QB’s that just aren’t realistic. It’s frustrating.
Washed up? No. But he did show pretty quickly that maybe people were getting a bit ahead of themselves with all of the offseason hype, proclaiming he was their quarterback of the future, and dropping multimillion dollar Progressive commercials on the next big thing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I font think anyone is questioning whether or not Murray is the QBOF. He absolutely is. What remains to be seen is he going to be a successful QBOF. I think we all hope he is and may be getting into a semantics battle.
He has had a nice start but, as has been pointed out, first year success doesn’t guarantee future success.

I can’t see anybody hoping he fails.

My counter is that there is more proof today that Murray is going to be successful than there was on draft day.

I'm confident that Kingsbury is going to do a great job putting him in position to succeed, but I fear that Keim isnt going to build a team that is going to have long term success.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Then who does and why?
Jacobs...he was better than Murray.

I think people get lulled by the talent and myth of Kyler...This season was still a train wreck, IMO, and he only looked "amazing" because he came in after the dumpster fire that was Rosen. He has talent, for sure, but I think there are way too many holes in his game to be OROY.

He needs to get much better in his footwork, steeping up in the pocket, going through his progressions, be less skittish and decision making (specifically knowing when to throw the ball away).

That is solely my opinion.

Lockjaw

Reaction score
I am hearing several people on the radio arguing that KM didn't deserve OROY and don't really understand that position. Of course, Josh Jacobs deserves respect and consideration, but I don't get why people think Jacobs was the clear OROY and was somehow snubbed. Many people seem to completely disregard the fact that Josh Jacobs only had 20 receptions for 166 yards. I think they also forget KM's 544 yards rushing and 4 rushing TDs.

I'm not even sure that Josh Jacobs is clearly the best rookie running back. Miles Sanders lit it up for the Eagles down the stretch when Jordan Howard was injured. Despite sharing work with Jordan Howard for much of the year, Miles Sanders' stats were comparable overall with Jacobs. While Josh Jacobs' numbers would have been great if he had played all 16 games, Miles Sanders' stats could arguably have been better if he didn't have to share as many reps with Howard (as proven by his success in the games when Howard was injured). The fact is that Jacobs didn't get the extra reps because he couldn't stay healthy, and Sanders had to share reps with Howard. Neither should get credit for reps they were unable to take.

Miles Sanders

Total Yards - 1327
Rushing Yards - 818 (Avg 4.57 per attempt)
Receptions - 50
Receiving yards - 509
Total Touchdowns - 6

Josh Jacobs

Total Yards - 1316
Rushing Yards - 1150 (Avg 4.75 per attempt)
Receptions - 20
Receiving yards - 166
Total Touchdowns - 7

I think KM deserved it based on his total stats, the team around him, and the fact that he was playing QB as a rookie, but I could understand the award being given to someone else. I just don't understand the idea that Jacobs somehow clearly separated himself from the rest of the rookies in the league.

Reaction score
I am hearing several people on the radio arguing that KM didn't deserve OROY and don't really understand that position. Of course, Josh Jacobs deserves respect and consideration, but I don't get why people think Jacobs was the clear OROY and was somehow snubbed. Many people seem to completely disregard the fact that Josh Jacobs only had 20 receptions for 166 yards. I think they also forget KM's 544 yards rushing and 4 rushing TDs.

I'm not even sure that Josh Jacobs is clearly the best rookie running back. Miles Sanders lit it up for the Eagles down the stretch when Jordan Howard was injured. Despite sharing work with Jordan Howard for much of the year, Miles Sanders' stats were comparable overall with Jacobs. While Josh Jacobs' numbers would have been great if he had played all 16 games, Miles Sanders' stats could arguably have been better if he didn't have to share as many reps with Howard (as proven by his success in the games when Howard was injured). The fact is that Jacobs didn't get the extra reps because he couldn't stay healthy, and Sanders had to share reps with Howard. Neither should get credit for reps they were unable to take.

Miles Sanders

Total Yards - 1327
Rushing Yards - 818 (Avg 4.57 per attempt)
Receptions - 50
Receiving yards - 509
Total Touchdowns - 6

Josh Jacobs

Total Yards - 1316
Rushing Yards - 1150 (Avg 4.75 per attempt)
Receptions - 20
Receiving yards - 166
Total Touchdowns - 7

I think KM deserved it based on his total stats, the team around him, and the fact that he was playing QB as a rookie, but I could understand the award being given to someone else. I just don't understand the idea that Jacobs somehow clearly separated himself from the rest of the rookies in the league.

This is a good post.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jacobs...he was better than Murray.

I think people get lulled by the talent and myth of Kyler...This season was still a train wreck, IMO, and he only looked "amazing" because he came in after the dumpster fire that was Rosen. He has talent, for sure, but I think there are way too many holes in his game to be OROY.

He needs to get much better in his footwork, steeping up in the pocket, going through his progressions, be less skittish and decision making (specifically knowing when to throw the ball away).

That is solely my opinion.

Last sentence could not be more true. :cheers:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But he’s trash. I read it here all the time.
He’ll never be any good because he’ll be like RG3 or Vince Young. He’s just a bust waiting to happen because he isn’t “transcendent”. He’ll run to baseball if he keeps on being good. You know how the professional goal-post movers be when he does something great.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The eyes don't lie. Murray is extremely gifted & is the best Cardinal rookie QB I have seen in my 56 years as a Cardinal fan. And no one is even close. I still laugh at the so called NFL experts that ridiculed the pick. Fine to be a naysayer, but Murray is DRIVEN to make them look very foolish. And he's well on the way. Outside of possibly Mahomes, I wouldn't trade this kid for any other QB in the league. Yes, he's that special.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The eyes don't lie. Murray is extremely gifted & is the best Cardinal rookie QB I have seen in my 56 years as a Cardinal fan. And no one is even close. I still laugh at the so called NFL experts that ridiculed the pick. Fine to be a naysayer, but Murray is DRIVEN to make them look very foolish. And he's well on the way. Outside of possibly Mahomes, I wouldn't trade this kid for any other QB in the league. Yes, he's that special.
Yes the potential to be very special is there, just need to correct some flaws on his game, but arm talent and athletic ability are 90 plus overall
Moreover is a guy with good head on his shoulder, football focused, willing to succeed

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah, in no way should this be qualified. I'm high on the kid, but you trade any QB in the league for Mahomes 10 times out of 10. No possibly about it :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He’ll never be any good because he’ll be like RG3 or Vince Young. He’s just a bust waiting to happen because he isn’t “transcendent”. He’ll run to baseball if he keeps on being good. You know how the professional goal-post movers be when he does something great.
History says it is fair to worry about how a rookie QB will adjust in year 2 when the league gets film on him. It is not a silly concern and it is not only reserved for Kyler Murray. Many had the same concern regarding Baker year 2, and look how that has turned out.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
History says it is fair to worry about how a rookie QB will adjust in year 2 when the league gets film on him. It is not a silly concern and it is not only reserved for Kyler Murray. Many had the same concern regarding Baker year 2, and look how that has turned out.

Baker's "tell" in his first season was a problem with throws from the pocket if I recall correctly. The "D" against him was designed with this in mind in 2019. Kyler is a better passer from a pocket - IMO.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The list of the only QBs to win OROY is a pretty mixed bag:

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

That wasnt the only issue with Baker though. Freddie Kitchens was an absolute disaster as a head coach and offensive game planner.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That wasnt the only issue with Baker though. Freddie Kitchens was an absolute disaster as a head coach and offensive game planner.
Freddie Kitchens was his OC during his most successful run as a rookie.

I don't understand why we keep making "yeah but" exceptions for every guy who turned out to stink. For one reason or another, they did. Baker might get it together, he might not. But as of today, Browns fans aren't clamoring that they know they have their QBotF. RG3 fans (like my dad) had to spend a few years hoping their guy would get back to speed, and he didn't.

Injury, off the field incidents, whatever, they're there. If I had told people in 2015 that by 2020 most of the board would be clamoring for Steve Keim's head after almost all of his draft picks burned out, he got a DUI, and then hired a losing, fired, college head coach, you'd all have laughed at me.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The list of the only QBs to win OROY is a pretty mixed bag:

You must be registered for see images attach
So now it’s going to be a litmus test for the future? Weren’t the board was concerned he didn’t have too many snaps in college, and had only one year?? Now KM has destroyed that notion about having only one year for a qb is a concern (and I argued about Cam having one year of D1 and being a success as well).

RG3, Cam, and Vince YOUNG plays so much different from KM. And I do think that KM is better than Dak. If he was on the Cowboys, they would be in the playoffs.