Lance Zierlein First Mock Draft

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know. But the assumption by the OP is that Humphries would walk.

I would take Kinlaw, Jeudy or Lamb. I think it's reasonable to expect one or two of that group to be there. Kinlaw is my first choice. I am sick of seeing teams run the ball down our throat. Kinlaw is a beast.

I like Kinlaw alot, but my reasoning for going offensive line is that Murray is the present and future of the Cardinals. Build a good offensive line first.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Chopper0080

Unless something happens medically from now to draft, this is my finalized mock:

R1 - Wirfs
R2 - Ross Blacklock
R3 - Quartney Davis
R4 - Michael Ojemudia
R6 - Josiah Deguara
R7 - Idk yet

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@Krangthebrain

1. The Eagles drafted Dillard to sit behind Peters. Bad comparison.
That's a damn good plan. Wonder why we don't think about that.

3. The Ravens have Stanley, a top 3 left tackle.
Stanley was drafted with the 6th pick, had an amazing rookie year, and is AllPro.
DJ Humphries as never been close to an 80 rating.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can afford a rookie RT when you have that kind of talent on your OL already. If he sucks you can swing the help to the rightside.
BS - They started a rookie LT in 2017 and another rookie RT in 2018

4. Cody Ford wasnt very good last year, but the Bill's line is more talented overall.
False. He was better than DJ Humphries as a rookie (2016) and about as good as DJ was in his 5th year.

What you are missing is that Humphries is easily the best OL the Cardinals have. Teams dont let go of their best OL to start a rookie when they are already talent poor at the position.
When your best player isn't even in the top 50% at his position, you need to upgrade the position.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a McGlinchey or a Nelson in this draft? I have not seen an all consensus review on any of the linemen in this draft.

Becton is a perfect example. Thomas, Wills and Wirfs have all been regarded as the top prospects but suddenly Becton has come out of nowhere.

I don’t remember anybody questioning the ability of Nelson or McGlinchey.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Krangthebrain

1. The Eagles drafted Dillard to sit behind Peters. Bad comparison.
That's a damn good plan. Wonder why we don't think about that.

3. The Ravens have Stanley, a top 3 left tackle.
Stanley was drafted with the 6th pick, had an amazing rookie year, and is AllPro.
DJ Humphries as never been close to an 80 rating.

You can afford a rookie RT when you have that kind of talent on your OL already. If he sucks you can swing the help to the rightside.
BS - They started a rookie LT in 2017 and another rookie RT in 2018

4. Cody Ford wasnt very good last year, but the Bill's line is more talented overall.
False. He was better than DJ Humphries as a rookie (2016) and about as good as DJ was in his 5th year.

What you are missing is that Humphries is easily the best OL the Cardinals have. Teams dont let go of their best OL to start a rookie when they are already talent poor at the position.
When your best player isn't even in the top 50% at his position, you need to upgrade the position.

1. Yeah it's a damn good plan. A ******* plan is to rely on a rookie, especially when none of the rookies are slam dunks at Lt.

3. Yep. Stanley was the prototype LT. Andrew Thomas isnt in Stanley's league. Neither is Wills. Neither is Wirfs.

4. Both of you make house of card arguments that I topple with one sentence. The Bills started Dawkins out of necessity because Cordy Glenn was hurt! Wow...maybe paint the whole picture instead of the incomplete one?

5. Your opinion. How many pass attempts did the Bill's have vs. how many did the Cardinals have? The Cardinals had the equivalent of almost a full game more...and you are comparing a RT who traditionally has a TE on his side to a LT. Again, paint the whole picture.

You opinion on Humphries again. I think Humphries is a middle of the pack LT, but their is no player available that is better.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You opinion on Humphries again. I think Humphries is a middle of the pack LT, but their is no player available that is better.

Think of it like WAR in MLB.

If we were still paying Humphries 9-10/m fine...let it ride another year. Paying him 15m and maybe a long term deal is stupid. I am sorry if you can't see that.

We will agree to disagree that his level of play (or not play for 50% of his career) over the past 5 years is replaceable for a lot less than 15m.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Think of it like WAR in MLB.

If we were still paying Humphries 9-10/m fine...let it ride another year. Paying him 15m and maybe a long term deal is stupid. I am sorry if you can't see that.

We will agree to disagree that his level of play (or not play for 50% of his career) over the past 5 years is replaceable for a lot less than 15m.

Right....but you havent presented ONE good alternative. Sometimes in sports teams dont have a good option.

Cordy Glenn is an awful option.

Andrew Thomas? NFL scouts are saying he wont make it at LT. Jerick Wills MIGHT be able to, but he has played RT. Wirfs is a RT. The draft just doesnt have a clear LT answer.

I'd accept franchise tag at the least on Humphries because of the questions. But even then, there is the risk that he has a really good year and now you have to pay him $17 million per season, which will soon be the price of top LTs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thomas doesn’t even fit our blocking scheme.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there a McGlinchey or a Nelson in this draft? I have not seen an all consensus review on any of the linemen in this draft.

Becton is a perfect example. Thomas, Wills and Wirfs have all been regarded as the top prospects but suddenly Becton has come out of nowhere.

I don’t remember anybody questioning the ability of Nelson or McGlinchey.

This is super early draft talk. This happens every year as guys get around to watching tape. The new and interesting starts getting hyped over the guy everyone has always known about.

I like Beckton purely on his physical traits, I think realistically he's still some way off the top 3 guys in skill.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right....but you havent presented ONE good alternative. Sometimes in sports teams dont have a good option.

Cordy Glenn is an awful option.

Andrew Thomas? NFL scouts are saying he wont make it at LT. Jerick Wills MIGHT be able to, but he has played RT. Wirfs is a RT. The draft just doesnt have a clear LT answer.

I'd accept franchise tag at the least on Humphries because of the questions. But even then, there is the risk that he has a really good year and now you have to pay him $17 million per season, which will soon be the price of top LTs.

Why is Cordy Glenn or Riley Reiff a bad option?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is super early draft talk. This happens every year as guys get around to watching tape. The new and interesting starts getting hyped over the guy everyone has always known about.

I like Beckton purely on his physical traits, I think realistically he's still some way off the top 3 guys in skill.
I’m just saying I don’t remember hearing anything bad about MCGlinchey and Nelson.
I think most teams have their grades and they may move up and down a little because a faster forty or cone drill. But as of now no o-linemen is being graded as franchise player.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m just saying I don’t remember hearing anything bad about MCGlinchey and Nelson.
I think most teams have their grades and they may move up and down a little because a faster forty or cone drill. But as of now no o-linemen is being graded as franchise player.

I don't recall the 2018 talk about McGlinchey being close to Nelson.

Just looking at Matt Miller's final big board. Nelson was 3. McGlinchey was 22. Being Connor Williams at 13.

SB Nation had him 27. Behind Orlando Brown and Wynn. Nelson was 2.

He was getting less hype than the top 3 guys this year. McGlinchey wasn't a sure thing.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I don't recall the 2018 talk about McGlinchey being close to Nelson.

Just looking at Matt Miller's final big board. Nelson was 3. McGlinchey was 22. Being Connor Williams at 13.

SB Nation had him 27. Behind Orlando Brown and Wynn. Nelson was 2.

He was getting less hype than the top 3 guys this year. McGlinchey wasn't a sure thing.

Spot on! Anyone with eyeballs could see in college that Quentin Nelson was going to be an absolute stud, all-pro for his entire NFL career. About as sure thing as it gets.

I don’t believe that was the case with McGlinchey. If Bluto was ever going to trade up in a draft, QNels should have been the target. Oh well!

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Humprey is probably a mid to lower tier starting left tackle, but he's all we have. No way that he's worth $14-15M per year on a multi-year contract. $8-10M is more like it for him, so I'd offer him $40M maximum for 4 years. He'll refuse, so we franchise him and pay him his $14M for one year.

We then draft the best tackle available at the 8th draft spot. If Humphrey's good next season, we can try to sign him long term, but if not, hopefully we have our left tackle of the future with this year's first round pick.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Humprey is probably a mid to lower tier starting left tackle, but he's all we have. No way that he's worth $14-15M per year on a multi-year contract. $8-10M is more like it for him, so I'd offer him $40M maximum for 4 years. He'll refuse, so we franchise him and pay him his $14M for one year.

We then draft the best tackle available at the 8th draft spot. If Humphrey's good next season, we can try to sign him long term, but if not, hopefully we have our left tackle of the future with this year's first round pick.

So with all the top talent on defense probably on the board, we resign ourselves to gambling on a rookie OT from a less than sure class because our 'average' OT can be franchised... only, if you think a OT on board is a stud RT independent of what might happen at OT

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I'm assuming that there's value at the 8th spot with a tackle. If not, we don't just draft a tackle to draft one.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So with all the top talent on defense probably on the board, we resign ourselves to gambling on a rookie OT from a less than sure class because our 'average' OT can be franchised... brilliant!
What top defensive talent is going to be on the board? It's basically Simmons, Brown, and Okudah, and Okudah would be our 4th CB. Maybe Kinlaw.

But let's just never draft offensive line talent in the top rounds. They come available all the time.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I'm assuming that there's value at the 8th spot with a tackle. If not, we don't just draft a tackle to draft one. Seems pretty obvious, not brilliant.

I was a little harsh but I was baffled at the thought because I do not think there is a OT out there which could be better than some of the defensive guys which might be there, and that includes those two WRs too

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I was a little harsh but I was baffled at the thought because I do not think there is a OT out there which could be better than some of the defensive guys which might be there, and that includes those two WRs too

I agree that we shouldn't draft a tackle, if we have conviction that another position player is clearly better than any of the available tackles.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
What top defensive talent is going to be on the board? It's basically Simmons, Brown, and Okudah, and Okudah would be our 4th CB. Maybe Kinlaw.

But let's just never draft offensive line talent in the top rounds. They come available all the time.

I feel ya Solar but I just do not think these OTs are that great in comparison to those three defensive guys or some of the WRs which are likely to be there... now if we trade back a few spots and get an additional first rounder, I can accept the thought

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I feel ya Solar but I just do not think these OTs are that great in comparison to those three defensive guys or some of the WRs which are likely to be there... now if we trade back a few spots and get an additional first rounder, I can accept the thought
For sure man, we both have our guys we trust and don't.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

FYI the F tag next year for O line is $16.1m. More likely they transition tag him for $14.6m. I can't see anyone paying him that and if they want to they can have him.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FYI the F tag next year for O line is $16.1m. More likely they transition tag him for $14.6m. I can't see anyone paying him that and if they want to they can have him.
And? A Transition Tag for an additional #1 that costs 14.666.000 $ is a little bit a risk but sure the best we could do for now. Else a 3 year 36 mio contract that voids if we don't sign next year would be nicer, but I'm quite sure Hump wouldn't sign that one.

So sign hump to a Transition tag or a really team friendly deal and search for a LToF. But don't reach for a Levi Brown type of player.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I have to agree with you here. I'm all for improving our OL, but at 8, you have to go BPA (except QB). If there's a defensive stud or even a WR that is clearly better at their craft than an OT is at his, then we have to go that route. I'm not sold on trading back just yet. When the Niners had their long run at top 10 talent, did they trade back? I'm not sure. Or did they take the stud that was available when they were up? I think it was the latter & obviously it has worked well for them. Top 10 talent is hard to pass up on. I just don't see any of these O-Linemen that are clear cut studs. I do see guys like Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy/Lamb with higher potential & less risk. I'm not 100% sold on Brown. There's something about that dude that concerns me. I'm probably wrong on that, so he's yet another guy that may deserve a better look than these OT's.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you here. I'm all for improving our OL, but at 8, you have to go BPA (except QB). If there's a defensive stud or even a WR that is clearly better at their craft than an OT is at his, then we have to go that route. I'm not sold on trading back just yet. When the Niners had their long run at top 10 talent, did they trade back? I'm not sure. Or did they take the stud that was available when they were up? I think it was the latter & obviously it has worked well for them. Top 10 talent is hard to pass up on. I just don't see any of these O-Linemen that are clear cut studs. I do see guys like Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy/Lamb with higher potential & less risk. I'm not 100% sold on Brown. There's something about that dude that concerns me. I'm probably wrong on that, so he's yet another guy that may deserve a better look than these OT's.
The 49ers were a benefit of a stupid move by the Bears and Ryan Pace trading up one spot for a qb.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And? A Transition Tag for an additional #1 that costs 14.666.000 $ is a little bit a risk but sure the best we could do for now. Else a 3 year 36 mio contract that voids if we don't sign next year would be nicer, but I'm quite sure Hump wouldn't sign that one.

So sign hump to a Transition tag or a really team friendly deal and search for a LToF. But don't reach for a Levi Brown type of player.

Sorry man tagged the wrong post. Was supposed to be in reply to the dude saying franchise tag him for $14m.