Could There Be a Run on QBs?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tonight is further proof that great QB’s win Super Bowls. Mahomes is great. Garoppolo is good, but not great. Teams will take risks drafting QB’s early for that reason.
Garoppolo isn’t good. Just like Goff, he handicaps the hell out of his coach. Glorified game-managers.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still ridiculous what you think is "good." I swear it's like maybe 3 QBs.
I don’t give a damn what he does to our pathetic defense, there’s like 15 QBs better than Jimmy. It’s a Cousins situation with you all over again, except he’s even a lesser talent than Cousins.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don’t give a damn what he does to our pathetic defense, there’s like 15 QBs better than Jimmy. It’s a Cousins situation with you all over again, except he’s even a lesser talent than Cousins.
I think if you can find a way to win games or be a statistically successful QB, you are a "good" QB. Your definition of "good" hovers more around my great or elite.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if you can find a way to win games or be a statistically successful QB, you are a "good" QB. Your definition of "good" hovers more around my great or elite.
I like to account for supporting talent. 49ers, like the Rams last year, had a stacked team. KC forced Jimmy to beat them & elevate the team around him. Just like last year with Goff, he didn’t.

If you can’t elevate an already great team around you in big games, there’s big problems.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
he got paid. Mystery solved.

From all reports... It really is that simple.

Thats why I said in another thread, His wife got the best of both worlds, He technically didn't play football last year, but he still got the $$.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like to account for supporting talent. 49ers, like the Rams last year, had a stacked team. KC forced Jimmy to beat them & elevate the team around him. Just like last year with Goff, he didn’t.

If you can’t elevate an already great team around you in big games, there’s big problems.
How is taking a team from the 2nd pick in the draft to the Super Bowl "not elevating them?"

You're the champ of moving the goalposts.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is taking a team from the 2nd pick in the draft to the Super Bowl "not elevating them?"

You're the champ of moving the goalposts.
He took him? Not the insane amount of talent around him? He legit didn’t do crap this whole playoff run.

I see where your head is at, though. You’re the same guy that got happy & bumped a topic involving Jimmy’s ability(or lack of) because he had a good game against the Saints.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He took him? Not the insane amount of talent around him? He legit didn’t do crap this whole playoff run.

I see where your head is at, though. You’re the same guy that got happy & bumped a topic involving Jimmy’s ability(or lack of) because he had a good game against the Saints.
He dropped 8 TDs and nearly 800 yards on us this year, man. His team picked one behind ours, and they frankly didn't add a ton of extra offensive weapons.

I don't see how that's "not good."

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He dropped 8 TDs and nearly 800 yards on us this year, man. His team picked one behind ours, and they frankly didn't add a ton of extra offensive weapons.

I don't see how that's "not good."
You see how low you have the barometer set for him right now? Like honestly, do you not see that? Giving him props because he played good against the worst defense in the league?

They added Deebo, Sanders, & Coleman, but I alright I guess.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You see how low you have the barometer set for him right now? Like honestly, do you not see that? Giving him props because he played good against the worst defense in the league?

They added Deebo, Sanders, & Coleman, but I alright I guess.
Coleman took a backseat to other guys, Deebo and Sanders can't catch balls themselves.

He had a very strong year. Elite? No. Good? Yes.

You act like this guy is Trent Dilfer, getting to the Super Bowl on the back of 1,500 yards and 12 TDs.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If someone wanted us to trade out of 8 and down to 13 or so, they better bring a kings ransom. Taking David Johnson from us and #8 and giving us #13 in return is an Old Cardinals move that would be shocking in its lameness.
Imagine missing out on Wirfs, Jeudy, Brown,and Okudah and giving up DJ for the privilege of doing so.

CBS always has the most absurd mocks too, you're right.
Drafttek always seems to be closest to fact, in my observation.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coleman took a backseat to other guys, Deebo and Sanders can't catch balls themselves.

He had a very strong year. Elite? No. Good? Yes.

You act like this guy is Trent Dilfer, getting to the Super Bowl on the back of 1,500 yards and 12 TDs.

Jimmy G did not have a strong year stop. That defense is the calling card for that team and it’s not up for debate. Jimmy G just along for the ride

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If someone wanted us to trade out of 8 and down to 13 or so, they better bring a kings ransom. Taking David Johnson from us and #8 and giving us #13 in return is an Old Cardinals move that would be shocking in its lameness.
Imagine missing out on Wirfs, Jeudy, Brown,and Okudah and giving up DJ for the privilege of doing so.

CBS always has the most absurd mocks too, you're right.
Drafttek always seems to be closest to fact, in my observation.
The question isn’t who you missed, it’s who you get. Brown is gone before 8 anyway unless he tests poorly. If you keep PP you likely don’t take Okudah if he’s there unless you’re walking 21 next year. Wirfs is decent but is he better than Mills, Thomas or even Jones if you eventually want him to go to LT? It’s not certain that Lamb is gone but I’ll grant Jeudy likely is. What about Kinlaw? Everyone won’t be gone by 13, the draft is oddly deep in relatively evenly rated players if 5 QBs go early. Of course I’d just take Lamb at 8 as I’ve been saying all along but I was indicating this route is interesting and I suspect the Cards will consider it depending on what happens with the QBs. If someone blows their workout it will be mute.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there's a 50-50 chance we trade out of #8, with the outcome nearly impossible to forecast (because there are a lot of shifting gears involved):

The right guy has to be available for the right team to make the right move. Plus - the Cards have to want to make the trade. One wild card is whether there's still someone on the Cards' board that they're in love with. Another is what other teams want the Cards to give up - & vice versa . And some of this will depend on FA moves made in the offseason - to and from the Cardinals' roster.

Still - with all of the above considered, I think trading down is a 50-50 possibility.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Jimmy G did not have a strong year stop. That defense is the calling card for that team and it’s not up for debate. Jimmy G just along for the ride
He had nearly 4,000 yards passing and had 28 TDs. How is that not a good year? It's better than our QB just had. He won 13 games.

His statistical performance for the year would be the third best in Cardinals history.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He had nearly 4,000 yards passing and had 28 TDs. How is that not a good year? It's better than our QB just had. He won 13 games.

His statistical performance for the year would be the third best in Cardinals history.

I wouldnt trade Murray for him straight up.

I dont think I would even if you threw in a 1st rounder. Garrapolo fell apart dude. He plays in a very crafty offense that is very effective at getting players wide open.

Garrapolo is a middle tier QB playing on a very deep team. Very good offensive line, 5 or 6 good WRs, the best TE and fullback in the game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yep. Modern passers put up crazy numbers, even average ones.

I remember arguing with @kerouac9 about Drew Brees' college numbers. He threw 30 TDs his final year at Purdue. Kerouac was saying that wasnt that good, but back then, 30 TDs was pretty damn good.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
March 18 Free agency begins
April 23 Draft begins

Much yet to be determined.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I wouldnt trade Murray for him straight up.

I dont think I would even if you threw in a 1st rounder. Garrapolo fell apart dude. He plays in a very crafty offense that is very effective at getting players wide open.

Garrapolo is a middle tier QB playing on a very deep team. Very good offensive line, 5 or 6 good WRs, the best TE and fullback in the game.
Murray's 6 years younger, yes. His ceiling is higher. But saying Garoppolo is "no good" is absolutely silly. He's good. No, he's not elite, but he's good.

Again, you guys are talking about him like he's Kyle Allen or Case Keenum. Which happens in every thread. Every guy seems to "suck" unless they are a top 5 QB or Kyler Murray.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Murray's 6 years younger, yes. His ceiling is higher. But saying Garoppolo is "no good" is absolutely silly. He's good. No, he's not elite, but he's good.

Again, you guys are talking about him like he's Kyle Allen or Case Keenum. Which happens in every thread. Every guy seems to "suck" unless they are a top 5 QB or Kyler Murray.

Did I say he was no good?

I think hes average. But.....the 9ers are paying for him to be better than average.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Did I say he was no good?

I think hes average. But.....the 9ers are paying for him to be better than average.
DVontel said he wasn't good, which is what the entire discussion has been on this page. He's saying 15 QBs at least are better than him, which is silly alone, but also doesn't make him bad. Hard to make a list with so many QBs on the move at the moment, though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
DVontel said he wasn't good, which is what the entire discussion has been on this page. He's saying 15 QBs at least are better than him, which is silly alone, but also doesn't make him bad. Hard to make a list with so many QBs on the move at the moment, though.

I think hes about 15th, when you equate for talent regardless of current performance.

1. Mahomes
2. Wilson
3. Jackson
4. Watson
5. Brees
6. Rodgers
7. Prescott
8. Murray :p
9. Josh Allen
10. Ryan
11. Wentz
12. Brady
13. Stafford
14. Carr
15. Garrapolo

This factors in potential too like I said. But Garrapolo is paid to be better than 15th.