Lance Zierlein First Mock Draft

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lane Johnson disagrees, as does Jack Conklin.

Gone are the days of having a much weaker RT, especially if you want to go 10 personnel.

Lane Johnson was drafted as a LT at Oklahoma and he struggled badly at LT in philly before being moved to RT

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lane Johnson disagrees, as does Jack Conklin.

Gone are the days of having a much weaker RT, especially if you want to go 10 personnel.
This is not 2005 anymore. Great Pass-rushers rotate on both sides. RT is pretty much just as much as a need as LT.

So wouldn't it make sense to take a LT who could also play RT instead of pure RT or maybe a RT like Wirfs who has the tools to move to LT?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wirfs played some LT this season when his teammate got injured & didn’t lose a beat. Unless you’re still Pro-Andrew Thomas, I’m not sure what you’re getting at.
I'm saying Thomas and Wirfs could play both positions because of their skill sets, Wills at this point is strictly a RT. If you're taking an OT at #8 it would be best to take Thomas or Wirfs to play both sides as you said pass rushers are interchangeable your OT's should be too.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"We need to replace Justin Murray" they say

"but RT aren't worth #8"

Im not in the "we need to replace Murray" camp...

I'm in the "We need to replace Humphries" camp.

One costs us 2 million....one costs us 15+...and they are almost the same talent level.

Ideally, we could replace DJ with a first round pick like Thomas, and replace Murray with a 3rd round pick like Lucas Niang.

Ill bet that a year from now we would be looking at similar grades to what DJ and Murray put up this year, if not better.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im not in the "we need to replace Murray" camp...

I'm in the "We need to replace Humphries" camp.

One costs us 2 million....one costs us 15+...and they are almost the same talent level.

Ideally, we could replace DJ with a first round pick like Thomas, and replace Murray with a 3rd round pick like Lucas Niang.

Ill bet that a year from now we would be looking at similar grades to what DJ and Murray put up this year, if not better.

you know what the odds are of drafting two starting tackles in the same draft. Not just the cardinals but for any team

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm saying Thomas and Wirfs could play both positions because of their skill sets, Wills at this point is strictly a RT. If you're taking an OT at #8 it would be best to take Thomas or Wirfs to play both sides as you said pass rushers are interchangeable your OT's should be too.

Scouts are actually arguing otherwise, that Wills has the best feet of the top guys and projects the best to LT. Thomas might not have good enough feet to play tackle at all. Wirfs is a bit iffy on whether he can be a blindside guy; some are saying he is a future All Pro Guard, or very good RT.

Mekhi Becton has played both. Very raw early on in college, but really came on this year. Most physically dominant guy and has the highest ceiling, but isnt polished yet.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thomas will be dominant as hell in a power/gap scheme. Zone scheme? Not so much.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Scouts are actually arguing otherwise, that Wills has the best feet of the top guys and projects the best to LT. Thomas might not have good enough feet to play tackle at all. Wirfs is a bit iffy on whether he can be a blindside guy; some are saying he is a future All Pro Guard, or very good RT.

Mekhi Becton has played both. Very raw early on in college, but really came on this year. Most physically dominant guy and has the highest ceiling, but isnt polished yet.
How did you formulate that opinion?

I am warming up to Becton if he's there in Round 2, I'd take him.

Thomas will be dominant as hell in a power/gap scheme. Zone scheme? Not so much.
I could see the validity in this argument, however I think it will be an easy adjustment to the air raid as the routes are shorter and there aren't a lot of seven step drops so ball should be coming out quicker than in pro style offense. Hopefully, Murray improves in that area.

Wirfs or Willis, I’m fine with either.
I'd be okay with Wirfs but not sold on Wills. Wills grades out really well but I've been reading he has a propensity for false starts.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see the validity in this argument, however I think it will be an easy adjustment to the air raid as the routes are shorter and there aren't a lot of seven step drops so ball should be coming out quicker than in pro style offense. Hopefully, Murray improves in that area.

I'd be okay with Wirfs but not sold on Wills. Wills grades out really well but I've been reading he has a propensity for false starts.
That assumes that we’re going to air it out more so than continuing to explore the #RunRaid. I doubt KK will be going back how he called plays in the 1st 4 games of the season.

Willis’ false starts is easier to fix than his technique, balance, & footwork, imo. I’m fine with either Wirfs or Willis over Thomas by a good amount, especially in the ZBS.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How did you formulate that opinion?

I am warming up to Becton if he's there in Round 2, I'd take him.

I'm not relating my personal opinion on Thomas. I relating almost everything I'm reading from scouts right now. Guys like Matt Miller and Daniel Jeremiah....they build their rankings based on contacts in the scouting community and in NFL front offices. They see things that people like us do not, little movements linemen make that work in college but will be disastrous going up against Chandler Jones.

Thomas doesnt have quick feet and he spreads his legs too wide in his pass sets. What that means is that NFL speed rushers will possibly be able to edge on him fairly quickly and he wont be able to recover quick enough.

Becton wont be around in round two. Physically the only tackle prospect that is even close to his physical profile is Wirfs. We'll know more after the combine.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Lane Johnson was drafted as a LT at Oklahoma and he struggled badly at LT in philly before being moved to RT

Don't be surprised if he goes back to LT this year (Peters is gone) and Dillard goes to RT.

Lane wants to play LT but has done what is best for the team with Peters at LT.

Hey, that Jason Peters at LT is better than Humphries for 1 year (has that train left the station yet? What about Trent Williams?).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if he goes back to LT this year (Peters is gone) and Dillard goes to RT.

Lane wants to play LT but has done what is best for the team with Peters at LT.

Hey, that Jason Peters at LT is better than Humphries for 1 year (has that train left the station yet? What about Trent Williams?).

It’s not that easy just to switch sides. Guys rarely go from RT to LT and he’s not some young kid

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jason Peters is 52 years old.

Just shockingly bad take after shockingly bad take.

Cordy Glenn. Draft a rookie to replace Humphries. Yeah that always goes right! NOT! Usually goes horribly wrong. Teams have literally had losing seasons doing what they suggest.

Yeah let's take on a geezer LT who has injury concerns in his geriatric state. Great idea!

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just shockingly bad take after shockingly bad take.

Cordy Glenn. Draft a rookie to replace Humphries. Yeah that always goes right! NOT! Usually goes horribly wrong. Teams have literally had losing seasons doing what they suggest.

Yeah let's take on a geezer LT who has injury concerns in his geriatric state. Great idea!

It doesn't USUALLY go horribly wrong. It sometimes goes wrong like any position.

Drafting and starting a rookie QB often goes horribly wrong in year 1. Drafting and starting WRs goes wrong more than any position year 1. Neither of these things seem to have been a problem for fans.

The Eagles, a SB contender before the year started drafted a LT to start out the gate. The Texans, another SB hopeful, drafted a RT to start out the gate. The Bills drafted a rookie RT to start and protect thier 2nd year QB.

When the Ravens named Lamar starting QB they also moved Orlando Brown to starting RT. They had no quarms about a rookie protecting thier new starter.

I could go on but nobody else in the NFL seems to have issues drafting and playing rookie tackles.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nfl-mock-draft-10-raiders-pick-wr-jerry-jeudy

PICK 8

You must be registered for see images attach

Jedrick Wills - OT

School: Alabama | Year: Junior

Tackle depth in this draft allows the Cardinals an opportunity to let their free agents at the position walk and feel safe about landing a quality OT here.

Not the first knowledgeable guy I've seen who thinks it's not a big deal if Hump walks

I would absolutely despise this pick.

Drafting a LT, who is not a slam dunk to be elite, because we let a good starter like Humphries walk, is not going to be a step forward. That would be the old Cardinals of the 90s and early 00s. I saw that poo show of roster management. No thanks to that sequel.

Plus, there are several players I think would possibly have a much bigger impact when it comes to winning games next year. I want the damn playoffs next year. Not two more years of a rebuild, which this pick would look like to me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would absolutely despise this pick.

Drafting a LT, who is not a slam dunk to be elite, because we let a good starter like Humphries walk, is not going to be a step forward. That would be the old Cardinals of the 90s and early 00s. I saw that **** show of roster management. No thanks to that sequel.
Jedrick is a RT...

Smart thing to do is pay(not overpay) Hump & Draft one of Willis/Wirfs at RT.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jedrick is a RT...

Smart thing to do is pay(not overpay) Hump & Draft one of Willis/Wirfs at RT.

I know. But the assumption by the OP is that Humphries would walk.

I would take Kinlaw, Jeudy or Lamb. I think it's reasonable to expect one or two of that group to be there. Kinlaw is my first choice. I am sick of seeing teams run the ball down our throat. Kinlaw is a beast.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It doesn't USUALLY go horribly wrong. It sometimes goes wrong like any position.

Drafting and starting a rookie QB often goes horribly wrong in year 1. Drafting and starting WRs goes wrong more than any position year 1. Neither of these things seem to have been a problem for fans.

The Eagles, a SB contender before the year started drafted a LT to start out the gate. The Texans, another SB hopeful, drafted a RT to start out the gate. The Bills drafted a rookie RT to start and protect thier 2nd year QB.

When the Ravens named Lamar starting QB they also moved Orlando Brown to starting RT. They had no quarms about a rookie protecting thier new starter.

I could go on but nobody else in the NFL seems to have issues drafting and playing rookie tackles.

1. The Eagles drafted Dillard to sit behind Peters. Bad comparison.

2. The Texans were a huge mess on the offensive line. The Cardinals aren't nearly in the dire straits that the Texans were last year today.

3. The Ravens have Stanley, a top 3 left tackle, and Yanda a possible Hall of Famer. You can afford a rookie RT when you have that kind of talent on your OL already. If he sucks you can swing the help to the rightside.

4. Cody Ford wasnt very good last year, but the Bill's line is more talented overall.

What you are missing is that Humphries is easily the best OL the Cardinals have. Teams dont let go of their best OL to start a rookie when they are already talent poor at the position.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson