Suns @ Mavericks Tuesday game thread 1-28-20

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully Bridges will become the best defender since Tayshaun Prince.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said it last year and I'll say it again. Bridges is as good defensively as Booker is offensively.

I love watching him, you can see how frustrated guys get. Doncic seemed bewildered at being unable to get a decent angle for anything.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think it's funny the difference of two different sports. Last year the DBacks were having the debate about making those last spots in the playoffs versus getting crushed by the top teams when you make the playoffs. Here in basketball, we are like, just make it to the 8th seed, even though the odds are we are going to be crushed! We really should be pushing ownership to provide a team in the top four. I am wondering if it's a Phoenix culture thing we are willing to settle to just be included? I know guys from back east, and they are always disparaging their teams, saying things like, yeah, but we are only the fifth seed, those bums. In Phoenix, we are like, we got a shot at the eighth seed!!! LOL!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's funny the difference of two different sports. Last year the DBacks were having the debate about making those last spots in the playoffs versus getting crushed by the top teams when you make the playoffs. Here in basketball, we are like, just make it to the 8th seed, even though the odds are we are going to be crushed! We really should be pushing ownership to provide a team in the top four. I am wondering if it's a Phoenix culture thing we are willing to settle to just be included? I know guys from back east, and they are always disparaging their teams, saying things like, yeah, but we are only the fifth seed, those bums. In Phoenix, we are like, we got a shot at the eighth seed!!! LOL!
Man this totally ignores context. With Barkley’s teams, or even pre-Barkley, or the Nash years we would’ve been pissed beyond all recognition by a 8th seed. Hell we’d have been bent outta shape with a 5 and even 4 seed. But this is a young building team. Gaining an 8 seed would be a tremendous stepping stone for this team. It’s not like if the blazers got the 8 seed. They’d likely be pissed. But for this team it would be an accomplishment.

also knicks fans would go bonkers if they could get an 8th seed. Their hysteria would be short lived if they didn’t continue to progress, but make no mistake they would be in heaven to make the playoffs. I have a ton of friends in the tristate area and New Yorkers spring Klee throughout the US. They would revel in just making the playoffs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man this totally ignores context. With Barkley’s teams, or even pre-Barkley, or the Nash years we would’ve been pissed beyond all recognition by a 8th seed. Hell we’d have been bent outta shape with a 5 and even 4 seed. But this is a young building team. Gaining an 8 seed would be a tremendous stepping stone for this team. It’s not like if the blazers got the 8 seed. They’d likely be pissed. But for this team it would be an accomplishment.

also knicks fans would go bonkers if they could get an 8th seed. Their hysteria would be short lived if they didn’t continue to progress, but make no mistake they would be in heaven to make the playoffs. I have a ton of friends in the tristate area and New Yorkers spring Klee throughout the US. They would revel in just making the playoffs.

Nash era, we were predicted to win it all, a seed lower than a 1 or 2 would have been disappointing, while now we're predicted to no make-it so and 8th seed would be welcomed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Throw in the decade long playoff drought, which is the 2nd longest in the West, and of course we'll settle for an 8th seed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course I will take the 8th seed, on the way to something better next year.

Its like Rubio. Is he our ultimate answer at pg? Probably not, but he sure is better than what we had last year. Book and Ayton would have an absolutely wasted year without him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

My friends are from Boston, Chicago, etc. They are way more critical of their squads. It's like they demand Championship level squads. Here we are like, our team is a playoff team. Whoo pee! With them I go "At least you guys made the playoffs," and they are like "So what, we need better players to win the Championship." It's just funny. I see on TV playoff eastern teams get booed off the court if they play bad in a game.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My friends are from Boston, Chicago, etc. They are way more critical of their squads. It's like they demand Championship level squads. Here we are like, our team is a playoff team. Whoo pee! With them I go "At least you guys made the playoffs," and they are like "So what, we need better players to win the Championship." It's just funny. I see on TV playoff eastern teams get booed off the court if they play bad in a game.
I spent four years in Boston during the Celtics heyday and my entire fraternity was from the tristate area (ny, nj, Connecticut) and then four years in dc during the redskins heyday (rypiens super bowl). I literally lived east coast sports. And while they are definitely more critical overall as sports fans I’ve found they are also much more knowledgeable. They recognize growth. If their team hasn’t made the playoffs in ten years they’d be celebrating making the playoffs with a young team. They’d still be critical of bad moves but they’d be realistic and celebrate the steps. Our family is originally from Chicago and our pop was always a rabid, but very realistic (likely more pessimistic) sports fan. That’s why cheese and I tend to be pretty harsh critics of our teams. But at the same time we pride ourselves being realists. We celebrate and recognize the paths of the success, like making the making the playoffs after a ten year drought with the youngest team in the league would be, but we are willing and quick to call out shortcomings of an Ayton.

celebrating this team gaining an 8 seed isn’t soft. It’s realistic. And it’s exactly what knowledgeable East coast sports fans would do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent four years in Boston during the Celtics heyday and my entire fraternity was from the tristate area (ny, nj, Connecticut) and then four years in dc during the redskins heyday (rypiens super bowl). I literally lived east coast sports. And while they are definitely more critical overall as sports fans I’ve found they are also much more knowledgeable. They recognize growth. If their team hasn’t made the playoffs in ten years they’d be celebrating making the playoffs with a young team. They’d still be critical of bad moves but they’d be realistic and celebrate the steps. Our family is originally from Chicago and our pop was always a rabid, but very realistic (likely more pessimistic) sports fan. That’s why cheese and I tend to be pretty harsh critics of our teams. But at the same time we pride ourselves being realists. We celebrate and recognize the paths of the success, like making the making the playoffs after a ten year drought with the youngest team in the league would be, but we are willing and quick to call out shortcomings of an Ayton.

celebrating this team gaining an 8 seed isn’t soft. It’s realistic. And it’s exactly what knowledgeable East coast sports fans would do.

you're talking to the same guy who compared Kobe to Jesus, Ouch. everything in perspective.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
you're talking to the same guy who compared Kobe to Jesus, Ouch. everything in perspective.
You are the only one using Kobe and Jesus in the same sentance. Reading is fundemental Cheese. :lame: I have never reported someone for a post before. But over two threads yopu are trolling me. Please stop! I am being a gentleman and asking you politely.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ha. This is probably true of the places where you lived. I went to grad school in the Philadelphia area. Those fans are rabid and they will boo anyone who does not produce in the moment. They booed Mike Schmidt and Santa Claus.

I am with you. You have to celebrate little successes sometimes.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Well now I know two more realistic fans! I had a friend named Jim who was from the Chicago area and the Celtics were his favorite team. We had a discussion about Paul Peirce over time. I was commenting on how when his career ends he would be one of the Celtic Greats. This was before he won a Championship in Boston. Jim threw a fit about that. We had another freiend from the Boston area there and he was with Jim on that, too.

So years go by and Boston wins a Championship with Paul Peirce. So I comment that Paul Peirce turned out pretty good after all. I was then told that Peirce cost Boston way more Championships than he won for them! I told Jim I wish we were GMs for both our clubs because I would trade for Peirce. He told me he would trade Peirce for a bag of practice balls. Other firends I asked about Peirce from back east echoed comments like, he's no Larry Bird. I would say, of course not. The Lakers were never going to have another Magic Johnson or Jerry West. Peirce is still good. They were like, Boston was a bad team, and he was just the scorer for all those years on a bad team. THey said he would have never made it into the game when Larry played. I'm telling you, the Boston fans I know are cruel! LOL!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ha. This is probably true of the places where you lived. I went to grad school in the Philadelphia area. Those fans are rabid and they will boo anyone who does not produce in the moment. They booed Mike Schmidt and Santa Claus.

I am with you. You have to celebrate little successes sometimes.
Naw, philly fans are just stupid imo. My best friend is a rabid Philly fan. I love him, but he’s an idiot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well now I know two more realistic fans! I had a friend named Jim who was from the Chicago area and the Celtics were his favorite team. We had a discussion about Paul Peirce over time. I was commenting on how when his career ends he would be one of the Celtic Greats. This was before he won a Championship in Boston. Jim threw a fit about that. We had another freiend from the Boston area there and he was with Jim on that, too.

So years go by and Boston wins a Championship with Paul Peirce. So I comment that Paul Peirce turned out pretty good after all. I was then told that Peirce cost Boston way more Championships than he won for them! I told Jim I wish we were GMs for both our clubs because I would trade for Peirce. He told me he would trade Peirce for a bag of practice balls. Other firends I asked about Peirce from back east echoed comments like, he's no Larry Bird. I would say, of course not. The Lakers were never going to have another Magic Johnson or Jerry West. Peirce is still good. They were like, Boston was a bad team, and he was just the scorer for all those years on a bad team. THey said he would have never made it into the game when Larry played. I'm telling you, the Boston fans I know are cruel! LOL!
Yeah that’s funny. I hate to say it, but I also think race a plays a bit of a part with Celtics fans. The greats were bird, mchale ainge from the 80s and they still revere Cousy. No one will ever touch those Celtics teams bc they won and they were pretty white.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah that’s funny. I hate to say it, but I also think race a plays a bit of a part with Celtics fans. The greats were bird, mchale ainge from the 80s and they still revere Cousy. No one will ever touch those Celtics teams bc they won and they were pretty white.
I didn't want to think that about my friend, but I pretty much came to the same conclusion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I didn't want to think that about my friend, but I pretty much came to the same conclusion.