Lance Zierlein First Mock Draft

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
It’s not quite right to look at the season statistics. If you’re going to do that I think you have to break it down into 4 games. This offense was a lot different the last 4 games than it was the first 4 games.

First, starting from scratch we had to give it time. I remember a lot of posters talking about how the league would catch up with the gimmick offense after they got it on tape.

Actually it turned out quite the opposite. Kingsbury adapted and “caught up” with the league. Running game blossomed. Sacks went down. Points went up.

That is EXACTLY what we all hoped for when we started the season.
So true I give a ton of credit to KK for adapting and not sticking to His system that in itself give me that gives me hope for next season

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Rushing Yds #10, Rushing YDs per attempt #2, rushing TDs #7, Rushing 1st downs #9.
I'm talking total overall team production. I could have bolded it to be even more specific, but the team's offense as a whole did not produce.

It’s not quite right to look at the season statistics. If you’re going to do that I think you have to break it down into 4 games. This offense was a lot different the last 4 games than it was the first 4 games.

First, starting from scratch we had to give it time. I remember a lot of posters talking about how the league would catch up with the gimmick offense after they got it on tape.

Actually it turned out quite the opposite. Kingsbury adapted and “caught up” with the league. Running game blossomed. Sacks went down. Points went up.

Two of our worst games of the year came in December, so I'm not sure I can agree with this. KM threw for sub-200 yards and three picks against Pittsburgh, DJ and Drake combined for under 60 yards and no TDs.

The Rams decimated us a week earlier where we didn't score until the game was in 100% garbage time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think the concept here is that there's top level talent that is also deep. As of today, four OTs are in the conversation to go in the top 10, and there's even a chance we could have our pick of the litter depending on how things go at QB and otherwise. But it's kinda like even if we miss out on the first OT drafted, we don't have to panic and there will be a very good player there at the position still.

I do agree that this is probably the best course of action. I do worry about Hump deciding to sit out though.

I personally think this OT class is to an extent overrated, with a gut feeling we are going to have some busts here. I like Wirfs but strictly in the context of a possible dominant right tackle. The reality of course is I am no professional and hopefully if the Cards do go early for a tackle, they pick the right one and a guy like Kugler is able to have his say say and guide Keim in the right direction... though the part which must mystify all of us is that Keim has played on the OL and though I like Humphries, he ironically does not seem to have a grasp on the position when drafting

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No matter what happens with Hump, I’ll be disgusted if we take Wills at 8.
I am good with any of the top 4 OTs but the more I watch of Thomas, the more I see the heavy feet people are worried about.

I would rank them

Wirfs
Becton
Wills
Thomas

with the information, games, and clips I have seen. The reason Becton is moving up for me is the same reason Wirfs has been my favorite for most of this process. I value athleticism.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Spot on. Last 8 games we were 13th in points scored and fractions from top 10.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am good with any of the top 4 OTs but the more I watch of Thomas, the more I see the heavy feet people are worried about.

I would rank them

Wirfs
Becton
Wills
Thomas

with the information, games, and clips I have seen. The reason Becton is moving up for me is the same reason Wirfs has been my favorite for most of this process. I value athleticism.

I liked Thomas the most of them, because he is quite polished, but he is so slow ... the rest for me isn't top 10 caliber OT. Drafting one in the top 10 is in my view, a reach, but not having a LT going into the draft, that is really insane.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not already on the roster. He's UFA.

The options are $56m over 4 years for a guy that at his very best is average or $23m over 4 years with the option of a 5th year for unproven talent but that should be better and cheaper if you get your homework right.

The better talent is worth the 1st alone, the massive cap saving which allows you to sign better players every year for the next 4/5 years is gravy.

I don't agree. Humphries wants to return. As long as he has no health issues it would be best to resign him, because he does his job satisfactory and is already up to speed in the system.

Better to draft in impact player at linebacker, or receiver.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not every player review of Willis that I’ve read have been glowing.
You don’t take a cornerstone position like OT that isn’t a stone cold rock.

why have people soured on Thomas? The guy has played LT in a very tough conference. Is it possible the experts are Suddenly overthinking?
Who is Willis lol? You mean Wills?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised that's the side you're supporting, considering you want to move on from Humphries and the rest of the line so bad.

You can have good offenses with bad O lines. Look at the Texans. Hell look at us from 13-15. Our O line never ranked higher than 23rd in pass pro yet we had multiple winning seasons and 2 playoff runs.

But you have to make adjustments and compensate for it which limits your options and makes you more predictable. You can't win a SB with a bad O line because it limits your options too much.

My position has always been that I'm fine with rolling with the WR's we have, but the O line and defensive front 7 is where we need to focus our upgrades.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because the one dude that wants to get rid of Humphries keeps baiting people to argue with him. It’s on the people who keep arguing with him at this point.

I'm not baiting anyone. I'm also not the only person who has argued for moving on from Hump.

I simply posted about the 1st mock from one of the more respected guys in the business which happens to also suggest moving on from Hump.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im not against a OT at #8...just not Wills.

If Thomas is there at #8, I think he makes sense, regardless of what happens with DJ. Wirfs...now were getting iffy for me because I think he is a RT only in the NFL...same with Wills.

As I have said in other threads and discussions, I think by sheer lack of options, we need to transition tag DJ and let see what the market bares. If we end up with Thomas in the draft, we can afford to let him walk. If we don't then we keep negotiating a deal or let him play the year on the tag.

The benefit of the Transition tag is that is will let other teams set his market value. He thinks he is worth 15+ million per year, but I doubt anyone else does. If we transition him at 12.5 and no on else offers him anything more it might help us negotiate a more reasonable long term deal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With Thomas, you are seeing the guys who really know the pulse of the league, tell you that he is a very iffy LT. Believe it.

Scouts see technical issues that arent easilly correctable in Thomas' game. I'm personally not very good at seeing this, but I know who to read. Matt Miller has Thomas at 18th on his current board.

Thomas is very much a significant doubt whether he can even play pretty the only position he has played. He is very much a guard candidate.

Do you want to draft a guy who quite a few very good scouts are saying cant play the position he played in college? Would you be happy drafting a guy and have him majorly fail at his position and have to move inside? What if the Cardinals draft Thomas and move on from Humphries, and Thomas gives up 9 sacks next year?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Im not against a OT at #8...just not Wills.

If Thomas is there at #8, I think he makes sense, regardless of what happens with DJ. Wirfs...now were getting iffy for me because I think he is a RT only in the NFL...same with Wills.

As I have said in other threads and discussions, I think by sheer lack of options, we need to transition tag DJ and let see what the market bares. If we end up with Thomas in the draft, we can afford to let him walk. If we don't then we keep negotiating a deal or let him play the year on the tag.

The benefit of the Transition tag is that is will let other teams set his market value. He thinks he is worth 15+ million per year, but I doubt anyone else does. If we transition him at 12.5 and no on else offers him anything more it might help us negotiate a more reasonable long term deal.

The argument FOR Wills is that he is a RT who had played that position. Played in big games and is a good run blocker. Pretty good feet, which is why there is talk he can move to the left side.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The argument FOR Wills is that he is a RT who had played that position. Played in big games and is a good run blocker. Pretty good feet, which is why there is talk he can move to the left side.

Id be all for it if we trade down...but I think a dedicated RT at #8 is not a good use of a blue chip type pick

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson