Draft question if you please

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I see threads that propose trade downs a lot mbut question is say we stay at 8 and pick a player like Juedy but then a player say starts to slide like Kinlaw (just saying as a example) would anyone be in favor of trading up and grabbing him also

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No. This team barely has enough players to field a roster (as of today, it literally doesn't at all).

We need to attain some top-tier young talent at some point, but not when the roster has no belly. There's no way we can afford to cast off picks for any kind of risk.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No. This team barely has enough players to field a roster (as of today, it literally doesn't at all).

We need to attain some top-tier young talent at some point, but not when the roster has no belly. There's no way we can afford to cast off picks for any kind of risk.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I see threads that propose trade downs a lot mbut question is say we stay at 8 and pick a player like Juedy but then a player say starts to slide like Kinlaw (just saying as a example) would anyone be in favor of trading up and grabbing him also
The math is against you. If he fell to 14, the Cards couldn’t match the value even if they gave up all their remaining picks. They’d have to compromise next year’s draft as well and that’s a terrible sacrifice.

OP
OP
D

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
The math is against you. If he fell to 14, the Cards couldn’t match the value even if they gave up all their remaining picks. They’d have to compromise next year’s draft as well and that’s a terrible sacrifice.
I was think a Randy moss Arron Rosgers type fall say into the 20s or below of course you see it's just hypothetical

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I say no because our GM has proven to be inept at drafting in the top 30.

3rd to 6th round....... Maybe.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Randy Moss as had very serious red Flags and it turned out pretty good dont remember why Rodgers fell to much though

Rodgers fell because teams overthought his skill set and read too much into minor issues about his personality. There was also less of a “feeding frenzy” mentality over QBs that year. Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were considered pretty much neck and neck and the Niners preferred Alex Smith. I remember talking to my friend who was the sports editor for the Arizona Daily Wildcat about how obscene it was that the Cardinals didn’t draft Rodgers, let alone 23 other teams.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Rodgers fell because teams overthought his skill set and read too much into minor issues about his personality. There was also less of a “feeding frenzy” mentality over QBs that year. Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were considered pretty much neck and neck and the Niners preferred Alex Smith. I remember talking to my friend who was the sports editor for the Arizona Daily Wildcat about how obscene it was that the Cardinals didn’t draft Rodgers, let alone 23 other teams.

I thought a lot of it also had to do with people still thinking a spread offense QB was a gimmick selection

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

People were mostly concerned with the non-pro style, Ted Tedford system.

You have to remember, almost 20 years ago people didnt want to draft players that played in funky systems. @Russ Smith

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I wanted Rodger, but the prevailing thought at the time was that McCown was the guy.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

You have to remember, almost 20 years ago people didnt want to draft players that played in funky systems. @Russ Smith

You mean the Jeff Tedford system? Alex Smith also played in the spread offense under Urban Meyer at Utah

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep they thought he was another Tedford robot QB because of where he held the ball. I also think people underestimated his arm and athleticism, he was too small etc. I remember saying we should draft him but he was local to me so I had a bias.

I never get tired of casually pointing out to 49er fans how much better the last 10 years would have been if they'd taken Rodgers (-:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep they thought he was another Tedford robot QB because of where he held the ball. I also think people underestimated his arm and athleticism, he was too small etc. I remember saying we should draft him but he was local to me so I had a bias.

I never get tired of casually pointing out to 49er fans how much better the last 10 years would have been if they'd taken Rodgers (-:

They probably win more Super Bowls than the Packers would have.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You mean the Jeff Tedford system? Alex Smith also played in the spread offense under Urban Meyer at Utah

Yes mistyped.

That was one of the bizarre parts of the argument. Smith got a free pass even though he played in an even less NFL system.

I preferred Rodgers because he dominated the PAC 10 at CAL!!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Yes mistyped.

That was one of the bizarre parts of the argument. Smith got a free pass even though he played in an even less NFL system.

I preferred Rodgers because he dominated the PAC 10 at CAL!!

We are on the same page. And Rodgers did get a raw deal because they thought he was the next “Kyler Boller” playing under Tedford.