Suns @ Mavericks Tuesday game thread 1-28-20

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Before last night I would have taken AD/Booker over Doncic/Porzingis. Now I feel like a
genus. with a little help from my friends Bridges, Oubre

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the highlights it seems that the Suns just pick and rolled their way all night against the Mavs. Every highlight just about is Booker or Rubio feeding Ayton off the P&R. his hook shot is much improved, saw it some in college but looks much more natural now, in college it was very mechanical.

Has to feel good for Ayton with all the they should have drafted Luka stuff out there he had a big game.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
First.... Booker is elevating to top 15 level play. Great to see and great for the Suns.

Second..... Ayton is starting to really impress me. He needs to finish these next 30 to 40 games strong on both ends of the floor.

Third...... Health...... I would love to see us stay healthy because we may be able to go on a nice run here.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow well this win was not what I was expecting when i woke up

Great to see ayton and booker have monster gms!!!!

Also dang a 48 pt qtr most against mavs in a qtr in there franchise history!!!

Great job suns

Now let's do it against the thunder

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need them to win 11 so i can cash in on my over 30.5 win bet i made in August

I think this is going to happen less anything catastrophic.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’d have to go 21-14 against the toughest remaining schedule in the league to be .500.

Suns have to get to 41 wins because that was my prediction. :D

Can I get a caveat since Ayton was out 25 games?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal starting made all the difference in this game. It might not make as much difference with other teams, but the key here was Mikal on Luka.

Mikal took Luka completely out of his normal rhythm. The entire Dallas offense is built on Luka, and that took everyone out of sync. That frustration bled over into the Dallas defense. That coupled with the fact that the Suns were hitting everything allowed the Suns to stay close during the first half and then jump out to a huge lead in the third when Luka started to fatigue having to try so hard.

Luka ended up with 20 points, far below his normal game, but even then a lot of those points came when the game was already out of reach and both teams were coasting to the end.

Lesson learned. Who you start matters, especially in situations where the opposing team is built around a particular player.

Dallas is in a bit of trouble. The Suns have just shown everyone how to beat that team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal starting made all the difference in this game. It might not make as much difference with other teams, but the key here was Mikal on Luka.

Mikal took Luka completely out of his normal rhythm. The entire Dallas offense is built on Luka, and that took everyone out of sync. That frustration bled over into the Dallas defense. That coupled with the fact that the Suns were hitting everything allowed the Suns to stay close during the first half and then jump out to a huge lead in the third when Luka started to fatigue having to try so hard.

Luka ended up with 20 points, far below his normal game, but even then a lot of those points came when the game was already out of reach and both teams were coasting to the end.

Lesson learned. Who you start matters, especially in situations where the opposing team is built around a particular player.

Dallas is in a bit of trouble. The Suns have just shown everyone how to beat that team.

Starting Bridges at forward was long overdue. Maybe the Suns have found something with Ty Jerome as well.

However, I don't think the Suns have solved Dallas long term. The Mavericks will adapt. Taking nothing away from the victory, it might have been a case of the Mavericks being tired and the Suns catching them off guard with the new lineup.

I think you are right that opposing teams will throw a steady diet of defensive wings at Luka although none may be as effective as Bridges.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting Bridges at forward was long overdue. Maybe the Suns have found something with Ty Jerome as well.

However, I don't think the Suns have solved Dallas long term. The Mavericks will adapt. Taking nothing away from the victory, it might have been a case of the Mavericks being tired and the Suns catching them off guard with the new lineup.

I think you are right that opposing teams will throw a steady diet of defensive wings at Luka although none may be as effective as Bridges.
I am wondering if I should make this prediction:

Mikal will make the all-defensive team before Booker makes the all-nba team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I honestly don't think that is too much of a stretch.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I’ve seen teams use one of their best players a sixth man off the bench but usually it’s a scorer not a Mikal Bridges.

The Suns need to not start games down by 10 six minutes into the game.

Bridges is one of the 5 best players on the team. He needs to start. It may not work every game. If so Monty can make a quick substitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Dare Monty relegate Bridges back to the bench as he did after his breakout game?

If he does, it would make it clear that he is being instructed to tank.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It would be very Suns like to follow this up with a stinker on Friday. If they can take care of 3 of the next 4 we’re in business.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns can squeak into the postseason this year then I think Booker's almost a lock to make it on one of the All-NBA teams. There will be open guard spots if you just look at who made it last year and how things have gone so far this season. Last year the 1st team guards were Steph and Harden, 2nd team were Kyrie & Lillard, 3rd team were Kemba & Westbrook.

Steph won't make it, he's missed way too many games and I'd be surprised if he returns this season, even though he's projected to return in March. Kyrie has missed a ton of time as well and hasn't been that great for a Nets team that was better with D'Lo. He's questionable as of now. I don't think Kemba or Westbrook will get All-NBA honors again. It's less likely for Russ than Walker, IMO. His numbers have fallen off and Russ' no longer carrying a team.

Harden and Lillard are virtually locks to get All-NBA honors, probably 1st team for them as well, but the rest is wide open, IMO. The only other potential lock for a spot is Luka but he might be classified as a forward. He was a guard in All-Star voting but voting for All-NBA is different. It's done by sports writers and they fill out their ballot with 3 frontcourt players and 2 backcourt, not having to adhere to where the NBA placed them as far as their position goes.

Defensive teams are harder to predict, I think. Last year's 1st team was made up of Gobert, Giannis, Paul George, Bledsoe, and Marcus Smart. Second team was Embiid, Draymond, Kawhi, Klay, and Jrue Holiday. I could see a spot for Mikal to get in but I'd be surprised if he does so early in his career and especially since he hasn't been a starter. He'll need to start the rest of the season this year and for the Suns to post a good record for the remainder. Missing the playoffs isn't as important, see Jrue Holiday, but Jrue already has the reputation and Bridges doesn't, yet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns can squeak into the postseason this year then I think Booker's almost a lock to make it on one of the All-NBA teams. There will be open guard spots if you just look at who made it last year and how things have gone so far this season. Last year the 1st team guards were Steph and Harden, 2nd team were Kyrie & Lillard, 3rd team were Kemba & Westbrook.

Steph won't make it, he's missed way too many games and I'd be surprised if he returns this season, even though he's projected to return in March. Kyrie has missed a ton of time as well and hasn't been that great for a Nets team that was better with D'Lo. He's questionable as of now. I don't think Kemba or Westbrook will get All-NBA honors again. It's less likely for Russ than Walker, IMO. His numbers have fallen off and Russ' no longer carrying a team.

Harden and Lillard are virtually locks to get All-NBA honors, probably 1st team for them as well, but the rest is wide open, IMO. The only other potential lock for a spot is Luka but he might be classified as a forward. He was a guard in All-Star voting but voting for All-NBA is different. It's done by sports writers and they fill out their ballot with 3 frontcourt players and 2 backcourt, not having to adhere to where the NBA placed them as far as their position goes.

Defensive teams are harder to predict, I think. Last year's 1st team was made up of Gobert, Giannis, Paul George, Bledsoe, and Marcus Smart. Second team was Embiid, Draymond, Kawhi, Klay, and Jrue Holiday. I could see a spot for Mikal to get in but I'd be surprised if he does so early in his career and especially since he hasn't been a starter. He'll need to start the rest of the season this year and for the Suns to post a good record for the remainder. Missing the playoffs isn't as important, see Jrue Holiday, but Jrue already has the reputation and Bridges doesn't, yet.
Its a fascinating discussion to have. Bridges defense is quite amazing.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow such a great game. Was nice to watch a game without screaming at the tv.

Coach...cmon it’s been obvious that should have been the starting lineup for a while now.

Mikal made Luka into a winey little girl last night. Also was the flexibility it brought to the defense. Switching on assignments and the length it brought.

Ayton actually dribbled towards the basket?
Ayton actually tried to slam one home, was one of his misses btw.

our bench is still awful. Frank would add some versatility and shooting right now. I wouldn’t read too much into Jerome, he had a 35 year old to guard and that other smaller guard who I kept getting confused with Berea.

Booker was great as he’s been all year. Really transcending his game this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose