The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When did the Pelicans sign Aaron Nelson away from Phoenix? I wonder if that was a move made because they knew Zion's health is/was an issue and they wanted to bring in a quality training staff to work with him or if David Griffin just just wanted him in New Orleans for a mini Suns reunion with Gentry as well.
Our staff isn’t exactly inspiring so far, but Nelson’s track record over virtually the last decade, including so far in New Orleans, suggests he is no miracle worker.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Josh Jackson needed 3 months to earn to be recalled from the G League, I'm not so scared that the Suns simply gave away him.

Yeah, they've lost 3 wing players to injury in the last 2 weeks. He will probably be sent right back down when those guys are healthy again.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
If Josh Jackson needed 3 months to earn to be recalled from the G League, I'm not so scared that the Suns simply gave away him.

It is quite surprising to me how much of a bust Jackson turned out to be. Bender and Chriss, I get - they were always high risk shots in the dark. But almost everybody seemed to think Josh Jackson was going to turn out to be the keeper from that draft class.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is quite surprising to me how much of a bust Jackson turned out to be. Bender and Chriss, I get - they were always high risk shots in the dark. But almost everybody seemed to think Josh Jackson was going to turn out to be the keeper from that draft class.
He has the talent. That’s not the problem. He is a knucklehead. Worse than people realized.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't blame McD as much for Jackson busting as others. He was considered a work in progress if a team wanted him to be a starter or a main piece of it's core but seeing him struggle to even stay on a main roster just 2 years into his career is surprising.

Almost all reports on him were that he should be no less than a solid roleplayer, like a Michael Kidd-Gilcrest type but not quite as limited offensively. He wasn't the project Bender and Chriss were.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can't blame McD as much for Jackson busting as others. He was considered a work in progress if a team wanted him to be a starter or a main piece of it's core but seeing him struggle to even stay on a main roster just 2 years into his career is surprising.

Almost all reports on him were that he should be no less than a solid roleplayer, like a Michael Kidd-Gilcrest type but not quite as limited offensively. He wasn't the project Bender and Chriss were.
Yeah I remember when I was worried of the disaster it would’ve been if ended up being MKG. Never expected him to be looking miles up at the type of player MKG is.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking back, there were some serious red flags with Josh Jackon, some of them discussed here, but myself and others glossed over them because we wanted the athletic freak with energy for days.

He was wildly inconsistent on the court and off the court he made some very poor choices during his brief time in college. The big one was he threatened to beat a chick up outside of a bar, then when she was trying to leave he started smashing up her car.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
· 1h
Lakers guard Quinn Cook is changing his number from No. 2 to No. 28 to honor Gianna Bryant, combining Gigi's No. 2 and Kobe's No. 8, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
[/QUOTE]
Now the league says it should not have counted because he was in the lane before the ball touched the rim. I do not know of any other call more ignored in the NBA than players in the lane to early on free throws. I actually thought the rule was different in the NBA because it is ALWAYS violated and NEVER called.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I actually thought the rule was different in the NBA because it is ALWAYS violated and NEVER called.

I wonder if part of the unwritten rule is that if both teams are in early, and neither side seems to gain an advantage by it, they're supposed to let it slide. Even so, I agree with you.

Also, remember a few years ago when cracking down on palming violations was a "point of emphasis"? That didn't last long. Practically every slow-motion highlight of a guard making a great move includes an obvious violation or three.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see Suns fans unite to send a message to Sarver like this but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Here are Knick fans chanting "Sell the team" to James Dolan...

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is something people need to see about next season's cap figure. It will not increase much but it will still go up some. This could make Tyler Johnson's expiring a little more attractive in a trade, it's about $19.5 million expiring at seasons end. They also have Baynes and Kaminsky's deals as smaller expirings, $4.5-5 million each, if a team is looking to shed some salary. Frank's deal has a team option for year 2 but none of it is guaranteed, making it an expiring essentially.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something people need to see about next season's cap figure. It will not increase much but it will still go up some. This could make Tyler Johnson's expiring a little more attractive in a trade, it's about $19.5 million expiring at seasons end. They also have Baynes and Kaminsky's deals as smaller expirings, $4.5-5 million each, if a team is looking to shed some salary. Frank's deal has a team option for year 2 but none of it is guaranteed, making it an expiring essentially.

Agree, the Suns expiring contracts may have more value to a team wanting to unload salary.