Free Agency: Strengthen your weaknesses, weaken division.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are 3 players from the NFC West that the Cards could pursue that would greatly strengthen areas of weakness and also subsequently weaken divisional opponents rosters. I am leaving Jadaveon Clowney off the list because he is unrealistic, but there are 3 players who will realistically hit free agency that the Cards could make work.

1. Erik Armstead-I have heard that San Francisco may franchise him, but my question is how with Buckner about to break the bank next year, Dee Ford already highly paid, and Bosa being in line for a mega deal in a few years. Armstead becomes our 2020 version of Calais Campbell.

2. Jarran Reed-1 year removed from a 10.5 sack year. Suspended earlier this year so there is risk but also potential reward. Reed is a rugged, nasty, Seahawks type player who probably won’t break the bank.

3. Cory Littleton-He might be the most obvious choice of the 3. Adding Littleton means some serious money invested in the ILB position, but I sense Keim will pursue him because he envisions Hicks and Littleton being the 2020 version of Dansby and Washington.

The image I think Keim has for the defense is to try and emulate the 2013 Cardinal defense as best he can. Armstead fills the Campbell role, Reed the Dockett role, and Littleton the Washington role. The Cards front 7 would be Reed and Armstead as 3-4 ends with Peters at NT, Jones and maybe Zach Allen at OLB (I know this sounds strange, but I heard on one of the broadcasts this season that the Cards like Allen as a potential “power” edge rusher at OLB), and Hicks and Littleton inside.

If the Big Red could make this work, then it’s truly BPA at #8. I really like Tristan Wirfs and see him as a potentially dominant RT, but could also be talked into Cee Dee Lamb or Jerry Juedy, or Isaiah Simmons and make Simmons a true Adrian Wilson type of Strong Safety. We could even go Derrick Brown and make the D Line the strength of the team.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Id be all for it. All 3 guys would help us, are young, and fill big needs.

In the draft I would look at OLB in the 2nd round...someone like Gross-Matos might slip because of the hazing issues...or a player like Curtis Weaver could be a solid fit.

I think Zach Allen needs to be a 3/4 DE....and Reddick could be ok at OLB next year if we can't get an upgrade.

Add in Isiah Simmons and we have completely changed this defense for the better. Imagine a starting line-up of.

Armstead - Peters - Reed
Jones - Littleton - Hicks - Weaver
Peterson - Baker - Simmons - Alford

That lineup has serious potential, with a swiss army knife like Simmons roaming all over the field.

Have Allen, Kerr, and a late round NT as rotation guys. Reddick as a rotational OLB, and Murphy to play nickel CB

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defense:

Shelby Harris 2 years 8mil
Vernon butler 3 18mil
Matt judon 4 40mil

Draft Simmons round1
Draft Brandon Anae round4

Offense:

Resign humphries 4 50 mil 35 guaranteed
Draft mekhy Becton round2
Draft ayuk round3

Rework DJ contract and trade him and a fifth and next year fourth to Tampa Bay in exchange of a sixth round pick in the 2020 draft

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it but I honestly see a 2nd ILB and improved DL as by far the biggest needs of this team. If we could add two high quality DL and a high quality ILB next to hicks, the defense should improve tremendously. so, your picks in FA are exactly a road that I think we should go for.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 3 players from the NFC West that the Cards could pursue that would greatly strengthen areas of weakness and also subsequently weaken divisional opponents rosters. I am leaving Jadaveon Clowney off the list because he is unrealistic, but there are 3 players who will realistically hit free agency that the Cards could make work.

1. Erik Armstead-I have heard that San Francisco may franchise him, but my question is how with Buckner about to break the bank next year, Dee Ford already highly paid, and Bosa being in line for a mega deal in a few years. Armstead becomes our 2020 version of Calais Campbell.

2. Jarran Reed-1 year removed from a 10.5 sack year. Suspended earlier this year so there is risk but also potential reward. Reed is a rugged, nasty, Seahawks type player who probably won’t break the bank.

3. Cory Littleton-He might be the most obvious choice of the 3. Adding Littleton means some serious money invested in the ILB position, but I sense Keim will pursue him because he envisions Hicks and Littleton being the 2020 version of Dansby and Washington.

The image I think Keim has for the defense is to try and emulate the 2013 Cardinal defense as best he can. Armstead fills the Campbell role, Reed the Dockett role, and Littleton the Washington role. The Cards front 7 would be Reed and Armstead as 3-4 ends with Peters at NT, Jones and maybe Zach Allen at OLB (I know this sounds strange, but I heard on one of the broadcasts this season that the Cards like Allen as a potential “power” edge rusher at OLB), and Hicks and Littleton inside.

If the Big Red could make this work, then it’s truly BPA at #8. I really like Tristan Wirfs and see him as a potentially dominant RT, but could also be talked into Cee Dee Lamb or Jerry Juedy, or Isaiah Simmons and make Simmons a true Adrian Wilson type of Strong Safety. We could even go Derrick Brown and make the D Line the strength of the team.
I see where you’re coming from but I don’t believe all of that is possible.
You’ve got to figure guys that were on the roster that we want/ need back and how much money will be left. I highly doubt Keim is going to sign a DT that was suspended after last years fiasco. I also think Littleton is just going to be to much money.

I also think we have to remember we will not be able to fill all our needs this year in free agency. We have to think it as a two year plan.

Armstead fits the mold for a very good piece of the puzzle at DE.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Id be all for it. All 3 guys would help us, are young, and fill big needs.

In the draft I would look at OLB in the 2nd round...someone like Gross-Matos might slip because of the hazing issues...or a player like Curtis Weaver could be a solid fit.

I think Zach Allen needs to be a 3/4 DE....and Reddick could be ok at OLB next year if we can't get an upgrade.

Add in Isiah Simmons and we have completely changed this defense for the better. Imagine a starting line-up of.

Armstead - Peters - Reed
Jones - Littleton - Hicks - Weaver
Peterson - Baker - Simmons - Alford

That lineup has serious potential, with a swiss army knife like Simmons roaming all over the field.

Have Allen, Kerr, and a late round NT as rotation guys. Reddick as a rotational OLB, and Murphy to play nickel CB

I'm not relying on Reddick for anything. We've done that twice. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not relying on Reddick for anything. We've done that twice. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded.

I doubt anyone is trading anything for him, so I think he is on the roster as a rotational guy or he is cut in training camp. If they just put him at OLB and leave him there, I don't see him being any worse than Marsh. Id like an upgrade, which I why I said take Curtis Weaver in the 2nd round.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt anyone is trading anything for him, so I think he is on the roster as a rotational guy or he is cut in training camp. If they just put him at OLB and leave him there, I don't see him being any worse than Marsh. Id like an upgrade, which I why I said take Curtis Weaver in the 2nd round.

He's going to be worse than Marsh. Marsh has played several years in the NLF at Edge and repped for that purpose every day.

Reddick was an undersized small school edge for 2.5 seasons and has since spent 3 years practicing at ILB in the NFL. To expect him to suddenly become close to Marsh after an off season would take a lot of imagination.

I think he can be a good OLB in a 4-3. He's a SAM backer and has shown he can rush from that position. He had his best time there under Wilks and I think a 4-3 team could see the potential in him to pick up a bargain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson