2017 NFL Draft "The Patrick Mahomes Draft"

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You keep saying it wasnt an option with certainty.

The Chiefs traded up with two late 1sts and a late 3rd.

You don't know it wasnt an option. Maybe it was. All any of us know is that BRUCE ARIANS said that they wanted Deshaun Watson and we know that the Texans traded in front of them.

If what Arians is saying is true, and we have no reason not to believe it because BASK had say on multiple occasions that they wanted a young guy to groom, they were outflanked.

Many of us at the time saw the looming disaster of Carson Palmer's retirement. His play was already declining, but he could play enough to let a young guy sit and not have to play right away. 2017 was the perfect year to draft a QBOF and to trade a future pick to get him.

Imagine if the Cardinals had offered 2017 1st and 2018 1st to move up to get Watson. Well...they wasted 2018 1st anyway, so the Cardinals now would have a 4th year Watson and wouldnt have been strapped with Bradford's dead money.
My whole point is I don't think BASK sat around doing nothing that day and didn't bother trying to get into the right spot to take one of the two guys, just that we found putting together a competitive offer at that point to be the kind of compensation you just have to balk at. Remember, those guys were not unanimously considered to be great QBs, so I'm sure people in the building were just as unsure as the fans were.

All but one or two of us at the time would have completely lost our minds if the team gave up next year's 1st pick to move one spot. I can't even fathom the amount of "Steve Keim got fleeced" threads we'd have had.

This is also assuming Mahomes or Watson would be superstars with us, of course, throwing to a hundred year old Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk under a Steve Wilks-led team, instead of throwing to Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, DeAndre Hopkins, and Will Fuller with solid coaching.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we are going to draft a OT I want one that can play LT but can start on the right.

I think they can all do that. The top 3 guys have all played a bit of both and have the athletic ability to switch.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Talk about luck. If SF wasn't terrible about drafting they would have won multiple Super Bowls, already. Or at least one, with this being their second of many to come. We bit the bullet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson