Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NBA TV just showed how the Raptors vs Spurs game started with each team taking a 24 second shot clock violation to start. The Raptors had it first and then the Spurs after. It was a show of solidarity to honor Kobe. Classy.

ETA - Tweet

See this I think is classy and appropriate.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I grew up a Lakers fan and have loved Kobe since he started.

A good friend of mine lives in Kobe’s neighborhood. He was gracious to his fans when he was out and about...shopping at Trader Joe’s or taking his kids to See’s candy. He was a tremendously devoted family man. They loved being together as a family and going to Disneyland.

I’m devastated. I feel like I’ve lost a little brother.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
RIP Kobe. This really bums me out. Even as the enemy, Kobe's tenacity and will to win were inspiring.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
RIP Kobe and all who died. This really bums me out. Even as the enemy, Kobe's tenacity and will to win were inspiring.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The last game of his career was one of the most fun games I have ever watched. I had never rooted for Kobe a day in my life, but during that last game I found myself rooting for him, and like Kobe tended to do, he put on an amazing show. RIP.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ugh just found out that we know a woman in the helicopter, though not well. Her husband was in a boot camp in which my honey and I met years ago and we still ran into them almost weekly at our kids’ flag football games. So so sad for them. So incredibly sad.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terribly tragic and heartbreaking for the Bryant family. It's my greatest fear that happenstance takes away a part of my family.

I can't imagine the pain Vanessa is going through and the rest of their extended family

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Ugh just found out that we know a woman in the helicopter, though not well. Her husband was in a boot camp in which my honey and I met years ago and we still ran into them almost weekly at our kids’ flag football games. So so sad for them. So incredibly sad.

I was just coming in here to post this:

Is that them?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the Michigan State game, PG Cassius Winston was getting ready for the post game interview when coach Izzo told him Kobe had died. You can see his reaction adn read his lips "kobe?" "Bryant?" and then dropped his head.

We were at the grocery store one of the women there is a big Warriors fan we often talk hoops when i'm there. I asked her if she'd heard and she said heard what, I told her and she had tears in her eyes said no wonder my son called twice while I was driving here that's his idol.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
This is from TMZ:

4:30 PM PT -- L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.

At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.

This is the actual pilot/tower communication, leading up to the crash:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This is from TMZ:

It sounded relatively routine, until communications ceased. 'So sad!

I wonder if, in the dense fog, they even knew what hit them or, rather,
what they hit.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
This is from TMZ:

Fudge. Sounds like it could've been pilot error and not mechanical. Absolutely horrible.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Fudge. Sounds like it could've been pilot error and not mechanical. Absolutely horrible.

To me, it seems more like the pilot thought his altitude was OK since it was the tower's job to warn him about impending obstructions, and they didn't.

Because for some reason, the helicopter could not pick up their transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose